NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Weeding the Pumpkin patch

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 24>
Author
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2008 at 12:17pm
the last time i saw pine like that was last nite lmao
"the things you own will start to own you"
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2008 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Greg, You have crossed that fine line on this one!!!!!

Shhhh, don't tell anyone?!!?   LMAO

It's a heavy boat...and they'll get used again!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2008 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

the last time i saw pine like that was last nite lmao

They're coming to take you away, oh my!
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2008 at 2:35pm
Pete, I guess it's a good thing I didn't tell you that they're adjustable!
1988 BFN-sold

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2008 at 3:05pm
Greg, Now that you spent probaby 6 hours just sanding the parts, you might as well varnish!! If you use a marine spar varnish, it will give it that nice amber tone of reclaim Heart Pine

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2008 at 3:29pm
Buffalo,

I think I'll post that picture in my garage and save myself from all those "overkill" comments I've received over the years. "Compared to this guy . . ."   BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2008 at 3:31pm

Greg, Now that you spent probaby 6 hours just sanding the parts, you might as well varnish!! If you use a marine spar varnish, it will give it that nice amber tone of reclaim Heart Pine

I spent about 6 hours making the parts and maybe 3 on assembly; jointer, planer, and table saw, no sanding. If it was a finish project I'd add in at least 8 hours of sanding! LOL I saw several stands available on the net that would be around $500 with shipping for 4...I spent just over $3 on a few grade 8 nuts and washers.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2008 at 4:01pm
Ok, sorry I couldn't see the grade markings on the bolt heads!! Grade 8 has a psi tensile of 150,000 and grade 2 60,000. You didn't feel the 60,000 was good enough?? I thought that I was the only one who over designed before knowing you!! Socket head caps have a 174,000 tensile. I think you need to change out the bolts!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Bremsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bremsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2008 at 4:41pm
I'll give you $6 for them when you're done double your $$ just like that
Big Pappa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Pappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2008 at 5:10pm
Nice job on the stands. I am about to build something similar for my boat project. Are these just to brace the hull while the boat is still on the trailer? Make sure to post some pics once you have the boat on the stands.

Kris
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2008 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by Big Pappa Big Pappa wrote:

Nice job on the stands. I am about to build something similar for my boat project. Are these just to brace the hull while the boat is still on the trailer? Make sure to post some pics once you have the boat on the stands.

Thanks Kris. I think I'm going to leave the trailer under it for now, the fender makes a good step. As for the rest, I'm still thinking about some other posts I've read and how I'm going to set everything up.

When Pete and Eric get done rocking my boat, maybe we'll both know?!!?
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2008 at 12:04am
if your lazy like me and dont want to make stands, spare tires (on the rims) make a great workbench to set a boat on, they offer support and spread the weight depending on how many you use, and it does feel safe when working in the boat
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2008 at 8:26am

Ok, sorry I couldn't see the grade markings on the bolt heads!! Grade 8 has a psi tensile of 150,000 and grade 2 60,000. You didn't feel the 60,000 was good enough?? I thought that I was the only one who over designed before knowing you!! Socket head caps have a 174,000 tensile. I think you need to change out the bolts!

You got me professor! LOL

I did try to get the hardware at a big box when I was there checking out the wood blade for the roto zip...no 7/16" at all?!!? And the roto blade is just what Erick said it was, a dust maker; or at least that's my take without actually using it.

Good one Bremsen, but it was just over $3 in hardware so you're beating me up on my margin?!!? LOL
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2008 at 8:48am
My plan at this point is to put the stands under the 4 corners with just a bit more than static support and then start on removing foam. So far I've only removed the long sides of the floor on each side of the engine well. They were already loose, so I don't think I've made any problems for myself yet...or at least not any new ones.

This is Bill's post that concerns me. IIRC he removed 1 stringer at a time and still had this hull movement.
Originally posted by SkiBum SkiBum wrote:

One thing I wish I would have done: After I cut the floor and removed the foam all that remained was the rotting stringers partially attached to the hull. What I did not realize was that despite the fact the boat was on the trailer, it was not shaped correctly. I found out (quite by accident) that I had to raise the sides of the hull foreward of the engine compartment in order to bring the boat back into the proper shape. At the factory it would be in a mold. I ended up placing blocks of 2x4 and small wedges to raise the bottom of the hull until it matched the bottom of the stringers.

It is important to level the boat as much as possible. Try to get it level left to right and back to front.

I suppose the best thing would be to brace the boat before you cut out the floor and remove the foam.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2008 at 10:32am
Greg if you did use tires you would lay them horizontal, if you put them vertical the boat may roll away on you
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2008 at 10:33am
i will put tires under the keel, i have some tires with no rims on them and innertubes inside them and you put the desired air in for support, and then solid stands on the side.....any updates greg?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2008 at 10:42am

i will put tires under the keel, i have some tires with no rims on them and innertubes inside them and you put the desired air in for support, and then solid stands on the side.....any updates greg?

That sounds pretty good with the rimless tires under the keel. I'll remember that when the trailer needs to go away. Right now I'm chasing a spread bore to holley carb base gasket so I can bend a new fuel line and finish painting the pumpkin. What I have works great with the wedge plate installed...it's pretty tall that way though.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2008 at 10:23pm
She's up on stands. I'm happy that the engine cradle came up dead level, but I do still have to level it front to back. We'll save that for tomorrow because somehow 1 project always seems to lead to another. I had to move the fridge, workbench, and the cabinet above it for the boat and car to fit in the garage and for me to be able to work around it. The lighter side is that the cabinet had to be cleaned out and it was overdue!

P.S.-That is Amy's hard hat on the wall...not mine?!!?
1988 BFN-sold

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2008 at 5:14pm
Well lets see the damage....
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2008 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Well lets see the damage....

Are you looking forward to seeing how much trouble I'm having?!!?   LOL

The hawk must be patient whilst the grasshopper forages!
(ancient southern proverb!)
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2008 at 5:34pm
A side note for anyone wondering about their foam, etc...   Drilling a core from the top will not show the whole picture!
1988 BFN-sold

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2008 at 5:53pm
Its that old misery loves company deal, I cut out part of my floor over the weekend... have I ever mentioned how very much I dislike the use of wood in foam filled floors...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2008 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

have I ever mentioned how very much I dislike the use of wood in foam filled floors...

Joe, we gotta talk. I was about ready to go back with good fir, but now...?!!? I'm also not convinced about my foam not being a structural part of the boat. It's a pita to get out and is the strongest part to stand on?!!?

This pic shows a trowel stuck in the 'better' foam(halfway up and forward of the pylon). The bottom is wet all around, and I found pockets holding water. All of the wood would almost blow away if it was dry...and floating ribs?

Both of the vent pipes in the back corners were almost crushed closed, and I found a yard tool a little more rounded than a pitch fork.

This one shows the glass that never made it more than half way up the plywood and was folded over.

1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2008 at 11:16pm
Greg are you digging into your stringers?
Im waiting for you post to where you kneel on a straight up sticking screw....be patient if it has'nt happened yet.....it will

i wish i was there right with you, but i gotta hang nail so i wont be able to make it

you may get a thigh badge of honor too when you get the grinder out..
I'll keep up the pep rally
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2008 at 9:12am
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

I'm also not convinced about my foam not being a structural part of the boat.

Greg, I know it has been discussed before but this is my stand on the foam. I agree that the foam does add to the structural of the hull but do not feel it was part of the engineering that CC put into the design. It was a added extra. If it wasn't for the floatation requirments they wouldn't have gone to the added expense of putting it in.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2008 at 9:50am
Pete, I said what I did because it looks to me like the foam was picking up any 'slack' left behind by the rotted wood. In my other related thread, Chris(79) said I might have just caught it in time when he saw the old cam; the same can be said here. Most of the wood in this hull has gone back to what it grew in.

If I step in between the secondary stringers, the floor flexes a little. I didn't put my 200lbs on it of course, but it does move a bit. I know glass flexes, but I expected the bottom to be more rigid.

An old friend made the 6' ramp I use at the dock out of a dock box lid. It wouldn't have been strong enough even for a little kid until he glassed in some pink foam(in sheet form and looked like 3/4" insulation) on the bottom. When he brought it over I was skeptical, so he grabbed a full 28 quart cooler and jumped up and down on it. It acted just like a diving board. My point is, why couldn't I cut foam like that and then glass it in? I might even want to glass some flat to the hull to increase strengh?

I still have a long way to go, and I'm sure to learn more as I go; but I'm thinking I don't want to put wood back in it after seeing this mess.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2008 at 10:01am

i wish i was there right with you, but i gotta hang nail so i wont be able to make it

Come on down...I can fix the hangnail!

I'll keep up the pep rally

2 bits, 4 bits, 6 bits, a dollar...   
Yall be carefull with that image, it already got me!   LOL
1988 BFN-sold

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2008 at 11:38am
Buffalo,

I've stepped between the stringers with the full force of my 230 lbs many times over the last year with no damage. As you suggest, the hull flexes a bit sometimes, but I've seen no gel coat cracking, etc. I don't climb in and jump up and down, but I've not worried about stepping on the bottom of the hull.

FWIW. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2008 at 11:55am
i dont think you guy's realize how strong glass really is...remember once a boat is in the water you are displacing weight very equally, when it sits on 4 stands you are concentrating the weight on those 4 areas, once in the water the 1000 pounds per square inch goes down to 10 pounds per square inch (roughly Pete, i dont have my calculator) use a flimsey row boat as an example..no foam...it was never intended as structural, but possible used that way once it was put in and some genious said lets put a floor on top of it. foam has no benifit except for safety reasons and rotting boats and watterlogging them
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2008 at 12:02pm
Pink or blue insulation foam is cheap, seems stiff, easy to find, no problem to work with... and yet... A huge risk. One drop o gas makes it to that stuff and you then have hollow stringers or whatever else you made out of them. It can be used as basically a molding tool but you would need to be sure to have a layup that would take the entire load as that foam cannot be counted on.   

Now if you wanted to go with what I would consider a structural foam, one that can be counted on long term to add strength and stiffness what your really looking at is Crosslinked PVC's, tricky to work with as they dont bond well with all epoxys without foambond or the like added but the real issue here as this stuff makes coosa board look like a deal.

In my mustang I used 1/2 inch Crosslink PVC for the secondary stingers, covered with 5 layers of 10 oz glass oriented parallel,45,parallel,45,parrallel, the first three wrapping the stringer, the second two overlapping the floor after I bedded and beaded using expoy,epoxy mat and chopped strand filler. I then ran a layer of 6 then 8 inch tape over the joints. The resulting stringer is incredibly stiff for a secondary stringer, however they were incredibly expensive I didnt do the math but you can use that layup and you will find out what it is. The floor was also the same foam, two layers of 10oz glass on the bottom, 3 layers 10 oz on the top, plus a layer of stitched coremat material one up from the foam. This was pretty stiff, but no more so than a 5/8 inch sheet of plywood with layer of glass on both sides... still should be supported with cross supports. Again very expensive and this was a small boat. For the primary stringers I cheaped out and used heavily glassed blue insulation, here I did not wrap the foam as I was working more for a structural hat section of fiberglass, there are a dozen layers of althernating woven roving and 10 oz cloth there, more towards the center, less towards the bow/stern, a good quarter inch buildup, with 5/16 aluminum backing plates at mounting points.

All that adds up to a lot of time and expense, every bond is critical and you still dont have a floor you can screw things down to (have to glass in blocks or inserts to attach seats and the like). This time I try the coosa...     
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12345 24>
  Share Topic