NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Weeding the Pumpkin patch

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 24>
Author
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2008 at 12:07pm
Oh yeah I didnt use any pour in foam on the mustang, just some water drainage channels
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2008 at 12:19pm
Joe, Sounds like you built up the Mustang for the Navy so they could use it as a gun boat! Wow!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2008 at 12:44pm
Well as stated before I have done a lot of floor jobs that I lived to see fall apart and since the mustang was my only cc at the time it got a lot of attention. If I only had a workshop then things life would have been a lot easier. Either way the poor thing only got run one week after I did that work along with the last round of engine upgrades (when the video in my sig was made) after that week I decided it was a little loud and fast for daily skiing use, so I bought the 83 with a blown motor in it pulled the motor out of the mustang put it in the 83 and have been playing with the 83 since. The mustang sits covered waiting for gelcoat, interior, and its continually upgraded 302 back, sad really.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2008 at 9:27pm
I have my hull just about cleaned out. I got the cables and wiring out today. I'm still not sure of my plan though. The main stringers don't run parallel with the floor/secondary stringers. This makes it hard to level the boat...not that anything is level or true in there?!!?

My current thinking is to level the mains as they are most important. I left an edge of the old floor since it wasn't separated, so I'll level the floor off of that edge.
Pete, did I miss the check valve again?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2008 at 12:54pm
Guys, I'm decided on going back with fir. This keeps me in my comfort zone with the woodworking, and I won't be soon leaving it with a foot of water in the bilge.

Pete, this may end up as an example of your advice in action...better make any changes you want to now?!!?

Joe, please don't hate me. I'd rather use something that won't rot, but I think that may be out of my league for now.
1988 BFN-sold

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2008 at 1:58pm
No hate here, each man follows his own path to boating nirvana.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2008 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

No hate here, each man follows his own path to boating nirvana.

Hate was too strong...I meant it as a backwards thank you for all of your input. Yes, I'm going back with wood after all of your advice, but I will be using some of your pointers as well! And since your brought it up, Nirvana is where we're getting married.

Back to business, what do you guys use for aggressive glass removal? My meathod works but is slow.
1988 BFN-sold

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2008 at 9:04pm
A good grinder a shop vac tyvek suit respirator and face shield.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2008 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

The thing about that pic that gets my attention is that the floor and strigers seem to be on the same plane. This is not the case with my boat.

Yep, the BFN and its deep-V hull allow the motor to sit down lower. Most CC's have main stringers at floor height.

The engine not only sits lower, but its 'bed' and the floor's 'bed' are not parallel. The stringers 'point' lower than the floor if that makes sense.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2008 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

A good grinder a shop vac tyvek suit respirator and face shield.

I have all but the suit. Any particular type of blade/disk?
1988 BFN-sold

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2008 at 9:49pm

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

The thing about that pic that gets my attention is that the floor and strigers seem to be on the same plane. This is not the case with my boat.

Yep, the BFN and its deep-V hull allow the motor to sit down lower. Most CC's have main stringers at floor height.

The engine not only sits lower, but its 'bed' and the floor's 'bed' are not parallel. The stringers 'point' lower than the floor if that makes sense.

I cant picture what youre saying Greg. Is this drawing of the cross section not correct?

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2008 at 10:10pm
It's close Tim. The pic implies that the stringers and floor are parallel. Imagine the mains where they are in the pic and then jack the nose of the floor up a few degrees. In other words, if I level the mains the floor is angled up to the front. Also, the mains are clear in your diagram; the next to the outside is ply and the one after isn't there in my boat...just cross supports.
1988 BFN-sold

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2008 at 10:32pm
Greg, hows the pic look now?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2008 at 10:43pm
Did you change the one above or forget to include the new one? I don't see any diff in the one above.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2008 at 10:45pm
Also, the floor is higher than the turn/corner in the hull. This edge/corner is called the chine?
1988 BFN-sold

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2008 at 10:55pm
Greg, refresh the page- I changed the pic.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2008 at 11:37pm
Now you have it. How cool would it have been to see the pic the way you have it now...before I started?!!?   LOL
1988 BFN-sold

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2008 at 11:09am
Greg, now Im curious- which one of the 2 side cross sections in the pic is right?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2008 at 12:04pm
The first side view is the closest. The bottom of the main stringers are convex to fit the hull. The 1st side view is a good representation of the floor angle to the mains except that the mains stop just in front of the bulkhead that is in front of the pylon. I'll get a pic up a little later.
1988 BFN-sold

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2008 at 12:08pm
for some reason i remember 87bfns oil pan was real close to the hull, ive been reading this greg and tr and dont understand what greg is trying to say, your right on with the diagram TR,everything was osometric side to side, all the floor heights were also the same
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2008 at 12:11pm
the mains do stop and tie in to another cross brace right near the plyon, let me see if i can find some pics
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2008 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

everything was osometric side to side, all the floor heights were also the same

Huh? What's osometric? I don't get 'all the floor heights' either. Isn't there just 1 floor height? The oil pan is close...1/2"-3/4" between the drain kit fitting and the bilge. The trans is also close, 1/2" maybe.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2008 at 12:18pm
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2008 at 12:20pm

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2008 at 12:21pm
That looks like a targeting system...
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2008 at 12:23pm
i cant get the pictures on or to delete, yes the floor hieght is the same, and yes the trans is close also, whats the trick lately for getting pics up?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2008 at 12:34pm
Email them to me, I'll put 'em up.
millman1@bellsouth.net
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2008 at 12:43pm

Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

photobucket
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2008 at 12:44pm
Eric, don't worry about e-mailing the pics.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2008 at 12:46pm
Thanks man...good looking work! I need to study those and then ask about 30 questions...LOL
1988 BFN-sold

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 23456 24>
  Share Topic