Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine Modifications

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Bigcity View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigcity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine Modifications
    Posted: February-04-2008 at 8:10pm
I have 1994 ski nautique closed bow with a stock 351 240hp 1.1 transmission. Thanks to the many suggestions and ideas I have picked up from this site I am about to add a little punch to the motor.

GT40P heads from-Trystate
new cam and lifters- cam research
edelbrock performer manifold- jeggs
Acme 540 prop-Delta

My question is can this work be done without pulling the engine, the mechanic I spoke to feels I should remove the motor.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2008 at 8:31pm
Ron, I think you mechanic doesn't want to climb in and out of the boat. No, it really is easier to work on it on the engine stand. Even with pulling the engine which is easy, it will probably be quicker. I would pull it. You should be doing a spring alignment anyway.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2008 at 8:34pm
yes, there is no need to pull the engine to do what you are looking at doing, im a mechanic and i work by the hour, and of course it would be easier and more costly to remove the motor, if i was doing my own boat i would leave the engine in.
"the things you own will start to own you"
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2008 at 8:41pm
Sorry, pete
thats what makes this country great...opinions, i was typing and didnt see your post, it is easier to do on an engine stand and my opinion is from the point of view of doing this everyday and i try to get out of things the easiest i can
from a hobby point of view and if you enjoy doing this stuff i would surely pull the motor, probably take the pan off and check things out, pull the trans and check the damper and so on...
"the things you own will start to own you"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2008 at 9:15pm
Eric, your apology isn't needed!! I think you just like being in the bilge of a boat!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2008 at 11:22pm
I guess working on a stand would be easier, but the mods can easily be done with the engine in the boat. I wouldnt pull it.

You will need to pull the pylon to swap the cam, though.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic