Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rumbling Noise (Shaft)

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
MiamiLaker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MiamiLaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rumbling Noise (Shaft)
    Posted: February-12-2008 at 5:28pm
I have an 87' Baja Ski Sport with the same ford 351 engine as the Ski Nautique 2001s. My boat occassionally makes a loud rumbling noise that sounds as if the shaft is temporarily slipping out of place. If this is the case what can I do? If there is a possibility the noise is caused by something else please advise. At no time has the boat shut off and it has consistently run at the same speed even when the noise is present.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2008 at 7:39pm
A little more info would help here. There could be any number of probabilities that could cause a rumbling noise.

Is it in gear? At idle? What speed? What RPM? Does it sound like its coming from the engine, the tranny, or the running gear underneath? How many hours on the engine? Has this just started or has it been happening for some time?

More detail about the when and how it happens would help to determine where the possibilities are to find the issue.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MiamiLaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2008 at 8:31pm
It happens at towing Speed 19-26 miles an hour on average. It sounds as though it is coming from the running gear underneath. At first I thought it was the transmission slipping a little bit but I consulted my local correct craft dealer and they advised me to add ATF. I did so and the noise persisted occassionally as before. This has been a noise I have noticed since I purchased the boat roughly a month ago, like I said its on and off. I have an inventory list of the parts that have been replaced in the past two years including starter, alternator, transmission. The boat has high hours roughly 1400. After consulting friends with other 2001s it was the consensus that the noise probably comes from the shaft being set out of alignment, however I don't know. Any other information would be very helpful. Thanks Eddie.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2008 at 10:25pm
was it low that the scientists told you to add? it sounds like your getting some type of deflection from the prop, check that the prop is tight on the shaft, of course check alignment and add it too your yearly maintanace schedule.
my first thought also was since the trans was replaced most of the time the mounts will get disturbed and the transmission is installed without re-alignment....take a close look at your cutlass bearings down near the prop...anyone of these could cause noises especially with the higher hours
"the things you own will start to own you"
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2008 at 1:53am
Eric, I was checking how easy my prop moves and is really hard to move it. Tim suggested me to check the alignment. I already read an early thread you wrote on how to check the alignment now I would like to know how you check the "cutlass bearing"? Is that bearing the one that holds the prop outside the boat. The one that is water lubricated.

If I understand correctly those should be the two things that can make my shaft turn with a lot of friction.

One more question, how tight should the packing box be adjust to? Somebody told me once that I should see a drop about 10 seconds when running. I did notice that the stuff box had a little movement when the boat was running. Is that ok? I am afraid the answer is no
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2008 at 7:46am
Anthony, The first step in checking the shaft/engine alignment should be checking to see if the shaft is parallel to the cutlass bearing bore. Disconnect the coupling halves and see if the shaft moves in any direction (up, down, sideways). If it does and the prop shaft now turns freely, the engine is out of alignment. Disconnect the shaft stuffing box at the rubber hose/hose clamps and check the shaft again. Gravity will work against you at this point and the forward end of the shaft will want to hang down. I will place the foward end of the shaft on blocks of wood until I feel the shaft is parallel in the cutlass. This is sort of a judgement call and just feeling the shaft turning. Hopefully at this point the shaft is roughly centered in the hole in the hull. If not, then the strut needs to be aligned. If it is centered, now work forward and align the engine to the shaft position. The last thing to hook back up is the shaft stuffing box. Because it is held on with the rubber hose, it will center itself.

Go to work and keep us posted especially if you have a issue with the strut alignment.

Oh, the 1 drop every 10 seconds is good. Now is the time to get some Gox-tex packing in that stuffing box.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2008 at 11:04am
Pete - Does the 1 drop in 10 seconds rule of thumb apply to the Gore-Tex packing? The PO said he recently repacked it, my guess is he used Gore-tex. The stuffing box was running completely dry (only got to put a few hrs on)& was a little warm to the touch. I am wondering if the PO had overtightened it or is the Gore-tex that good.

Chris
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2008 at 12:00pm
Chris, sounds like youre OK. The Goretex should drip a little less than traditional packing. If the packing is running warm, but not hot, then you should be fine.
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2008 at 12:01pm
Excellent advise Pete!!!

Hopefully by the end of March I will get on this. I will document everything to post for future use. I bet more questions will come.

Thanks again!!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2008 at 12:22pm
Laker, you might want to verify that your prop is in good shape too. Even little nicks in a blade can cause vibration. You might be picking up weeds or something on one blade to cause vibration too seeing as it doesn't happen all the time. However, if it is happening with any amount of regularity, something else is probably wrong.

Check the alignment and verify if the cutlass bearings (or strut bushings)are good and if not replace them. They could very well be worn with that many hours. If the tranny was replaced, I would think that the strut bushings would have been replaced at the same time. At least that would make sense, but there are a lot of things some guys do that just don't make sense.

Let us kow how that works out for you.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2008 at 12:33pm
Oh, another thing Laker.... verify the ATF level in the the tranny as Eric suggested. What was the reasoning behind the rocket engineers to add ATF to the tranny without verifying the level beforehand? Get it to the recommended level by the dipstick. Eric is our local tranny guru. He puts food on the table with that knowledge so he definitely knows his sh*t when it comes to tranny's.

Eddie
DeepCreekNauti View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeepCreekNauti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2008 at 1:23pm
Had a similar sound on my SN during the same conditions. We spent the better part of the season convinced it was related to a shaft problem. Turns out the swim platform was loose causing the rumbling noise. I would check that first. Who knows with a little luck you can fix it with a few bolt turns.

With ours, the rumbling seemed to originate from under floor in front of the rear seat. Forward from the true source.

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2008 at 1:28pm
sometimes it is as simple as that, you chase a problem that drives you crazy...tighten a few bolts and the noise is gone.
I pulled a tranny twice in a 42" coast guard boat because of a grinding noise, i diagnosed it as being a bad trans and convinced them of that also and it ended up being the stuffing box, the bronze was touching the shaft and causing this noise. I felt like an ass
"the things you own will start to own you"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MiamiLaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2008 at 4:28pm
Thanks guys!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic