NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

db electrical alternator

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: db electrical alternator
    Posted: April-21-2008 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by skalomenos skalomenos wrote:

Can anyone offer any help in regards to wiring? I am going from a three wire Mando alternator to a one wire Delco alternator. I know where the battery wire connects but I am stuck wondering what to do with the other wires. I have a black..I suppose this is the ground and then I have a green wire I think was connected to the exciter? I need help regarding what needs to be done with the green and black wires now.

Skalomenos, I'm pretty sure that the black and green wires are not necessary any more with your one wire alt. The one wire does not need an excitation circuit as this is done inside the alt. For now, just tape up ends of these two wires (temporarily and separately of course) and start your engine. Check that all your gages and accessories are working normally. Make sure you are charging. If you don't have a voltmeter installed, I would install one (in place of the amp meter that is). If everything works normally you can do away with the other two wires. One question - do the black and green wires join your wiring harness bundle and disappear?

95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
skalomenos View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skalomenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2008 at 5:04pm
Can anyone offer any help in regards to wiring? I am going from a three wire Mando alternator to a one wire Delco alternator. I know where the battery wire connects but I am stuck wondering what to do with the other wires. I have a black..I suppose this is the ground and then I have a green wire I think was connected to the exciter? I need help regarding what needs to be done with the green and black wires now.
-Nothing beats a day on the water
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2008 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by 05 210 05 210 wrote:

I got it Tim! Before reading all the above posts.In a perfect world,you don't need to upgrade the wiring,but if you were to get a short(high current demand)on that wire......ssssmmmokin!

well if that happens then you just learned a valuable lesson as to why you do not remove the fuse or curcuit breaker from the curcuit. Because if it does short then it will blow the fuse or trip the breaker depending what is used.

So I'm going to double the output of the alt so I better change all of the wiring going to the dash. No not true, might have to change the wire from the alternator to the first connection where it is attached to the battery cable. But not the dash you haven't done anything to it to change the load going to it that would increase the load or increase the current draw.

Oh but I'm going to add a killer system and some ballast tanks. Oh really cool you just added 10 amps more current by doing that so now when I flip everything on that is on the dash it will draw 30 amps instead of 20 amps. So if that 10 gauge wire is too small to handle the extra current it was marginal to start with and should have been a larger gauge from the get go.

So if you want to waiste your time and money re-wiring the boat knock your self out but all you need to change is one section of wire that is maybe 5' long because you are not changing any electrical load on the sytem by just upgrading the alternator. And even if you are adding pumps and a head unit you are barely increasing the load on the system at the dash but I've got amps big deal they should be connected directly to the battery to start with and the increased wire size from the alternator to the solenoid/relay takes care of that and the extra battery easily.
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2008 at 10:08pm
    I got it Tim! Before reading all the above posts.In a perfect world,you don't need to upgrade the wiring,but if you were to get a short(high current demand)on that wire......ssssmmmokin!I knew the answer was right in front of me,it was just easier to ask you . You can hook 10ga jumper cables to your dead car battery no problem,but try to start the car and see what happens. I misunderstood you earlier cause I didn't realize that schematic was modified.

Mike.
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2008 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by Jim_In_Houston Jim_In_Houston wrote:

I still think I can piss farther than anyone else.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jim_In_Houston View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim_In_Houston Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2008 at 10:01pm
I still think I can piss farther than anyone else.
Happy owner of a '66 and a '68 Mustang
dans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2008 at 8:20pm
The fuse is cheap . The wire is not very expensive. About 20 minutes to wire it all up. Protect your boat for a few bucks , NO BRAINER.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2008 at 7:29pm
no "F' words im very surprised
"the things you own will start to own you"
Bremsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bremsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2008 at 7:00pm
Tim, HTH are you reading my mind?!?.....thats twice now!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2008 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

Originally posted by Bremsen Bremsen wrote:

why do you need to do this if the current to the dash doesn't change. You don't

And in the event of a short in the dash? The breaker will still protect the circuit from the battery, but what about the alternator that can now produce twice the current that 10awg is rated for?

ok so your comprehenssion is a little worse than mine, Tim said to remove it and to replace the wire not me, taking it out of context there slick.

Nope, he's got it right- almost. A short in the dash should trip the 20A IGN breaker. If a short were to occur somewhere between the alt and that breaker, you'd melt the wire and start a fire.
Bremsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bremsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2008 at 6:56pm
My comprehension?? This whole thread is based on you saying that it's not necessary to change the 10awg dash lead. I'm simply asking what would happen if you have a short in the dash with a 100amp alternator?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2008 at 6:28pm

And in the event of a short in the dash? The breaker will still protect the circuit from the battery, but what about the alternator that can now produce twice the current that 10awg is rated for?

ok so your comprehenssion is a little worse than mine, Tim said to remove it and to replace the wire not me, taking it out of context there slick.
Bremsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bremsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2008 at 6:23pm

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2008 at 6:17pm
Billy please, what is marketed and what they are called on the drawings are two completely different things.

Tell me what GM motor used the ABITS ignition system, what used the IDI system?

has those where the names in the discription box of the title block.

so just because I use a different term than you means nothing and since GM sold the buisness long ago I do not have my connections to show you the drawings.

also tell me how many of the alternators of the example that I showed you've rebuilt? has there isn't a standard screw in it or a diode trio either.

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2008 at 6:07pm
Tim, cut him some slack.....
He just got mixxed up as to what year he did the drawing for charge circuit.It would be an easy thing to do, after all the R&D he has done over the years.
Just simply overlooked, case in point.GM alternators.Two entirely different designs, dont even look simular. Yet he will come off with that BS that he designed them.
If I spent that much time on a project I would at least knew the type code (SI) and how the internals were laid out.
But he will bash someone as to the rebuildablity of this unit.
Chris go hide back under that rock, we need info, correct info. Not you trying to inflate you own ego.
And as far as the sexual slams towards a member of this site , that just shows your own "short coming"
I is hard to unpaint your self out of a corner, and here you have ended up in the corner with egg on your face and paint on your knees...........boat dr
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2008 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by 05 210 05 210 wrote:

I'm not arguing anyones point here,but just curious.If you are running the amp directly off the battery,and not thru the ignition switch wiring,why would it be affected?I can see the point about trying to pull too many amps thru a small gauge wire and starting a fire before the breaker trips,but isn't the amount of amperage travelling thru a wire based on the demand from the electrical loads on that particular circuit? I must be missing something and it's probably right in front of me,I'm certainly no electrical guru. Tim,did you modify the schematic on the last page?

Mike

Mike, the schematic I posted was one option on how to modify the stock electrical system when adding a second battery and a higher output alt. The other option would be to delete the 50A breaker and replace the 10awg wire to the dash with a 4awg.

Youre right that there should be no increased load from the dash if everything is wired directly to the battery (as it should be). However, if a short occurs between the alt and dash, that wire either needs to be fused (its not fused from the factory) or be large enough to handle the maximum current from the alt. Leaving an unfused 10awg wire attached to a 100A alt (even if you dont expect there to be a load on the end of it) is a safety hazard. Thats why the factory put a 10awg wire attached to a 35A alt (10awg can safely carry up to 55A), even though the dash breaker is only 20A.

here let me pull this out for you.

"The other option would be to delete the 50A breaker and replace the 10awg wire to the dash with a 4awg."

Now what needs to change is the wire from the alternator to the solenoid/relay which might be a 4'-5' piece of wire on top of the motor. not from the alternator all the way to the ignition switch in the dash.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2008 at 6:03pm
Chris, clearly you have a reading comprehension problem. Ive addressed that in this thread 3 times already. I agree that the load to the dash doesnt change. Go back to page 2 and read my response to Mike (05 210) as to why you need to fuse the 10awg wire or replace it with a larger one when installing an upgraded alt. Its a safety issue.

You dont need to school me on basic electrical principles, Ive already got my degree. If J_I_H wants to chime in, thats another story- Im glad to listen to those who know more than I do.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2008 at 5:58pm
I'm not the one bring up anything about the breaker and what wire it should be installed in. I've been saying the current the dash see's will not change as the output of the alternator is changed. Path of least resistance. You keep saying you have to run a new wire to the dash and you don't because the load to the dash does not change the load to the battery or batteries which ever the case may be does.

That wire connected to the solenoid/relay is connected directly to the alternator and because of that all the current will travel through the battery cable. Hell if you read the damn manual it even tells you that the current doesn't pass through the dash like you keep trying to tell everyone because it is sunted(sp).

where the breaker is is not relavent when you are talking where the current is going it's an inline device the does not change the flow of current, it's only they as a saftey device. SO if it is inline with the alternator output is not important doesn't change the wiring doesn't change the current flow path doesn't do anything unless there is too much current going through it then it trips.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2008 at 5:51pm

I suggest you refer to the wiring diagram in the PCM manual and you will see the batter cable, alternator pos lead, and the pos lead for the ignition switch all go to the same post on the solenoid/relay.

The breaker is the only thing missing in the diagram.

Im curious how you can be so adamant about how the breaker is wired when the best source you have is a diagram without one and you dont have a Correct Craft to verify it against.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2008 at 5:50pm

so where is the wire connected with the battery cable come from? Alternator?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2008 at 5:39pm
The breaker is the only thing missing in the diagram.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2008 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

It's fast enough for me, but we know it could/should be a little faster. My penis is plenty large, so making my boat faster is not a priority.

so why does your gilrfriend keep calling me and telling me how she's unsatisfied and can barely feel anything when your inside
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2008 at 5:37pm

Tim look on page 22 of teh 302 and 351 PCM manual instead of the 89, the diagram is a lot easier to read and I've got now clue where you see the ballast coming into play. Maybe thats the problem you need a lession in reading schematics

Actually, I thought the clearer diagram might help YOU. Please explain to me how the breaker is wired according to this diagram (pulled from page 22 in the PCM 302/351 manual).

*hint: There is no breaker in that diagram. Its even more inadequate than the one in the '89 manual.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2008 at 5:30pm
Faster than somebody's in this thread...

Nah I still haven't checked the springs. It's fast enough for me, but we know it could/should be a little faster. My penis is plenty large, so making my boat faster is not a priority.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2008 at 5:05pm
Kevin we know how well you fix things, and it took how long to fix your boat? or is it still underpowered for some unknown reason you can't figure out still?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2008 at 4:56pm
I just was "testing" you guys.

Haha, no really I just misread that post. I also like to pitch in and do my share of fueling the fire.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2008 at 4:50pm

I know that on my boat, the main POS lead off the alternator and the main dash lead were located on the same terminal on the circuit breaker. The battery and starter were the only protected ciruits. I don't believe it had ever been touched.

So you're basically combining Tim and Chris's arguments here.

Tim says dash needs to be protected from the battery by the breaker, which it is. Chris says it does not need to be protected from the alternator. So basically Tim's diagram needs the orange alt output on the other side of the 50A engine breaker.

nobody said anything about removing or added a curcuit breaker or fuse Kevin

Tim look on page 22 of teh 302 and 351 PCM manual instead of the 89, the diagram is a lot easier to read and I've got now clue where you see the ballast coming into play. Maybe thats the problem you need a lession in reading schematics
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2008 at 4:48pm

I know that on my boat, the main POS lead off the alternator and the main dash lead were located on the same terminal on the circuit breaker. The battery and starter were the only protected ciruits. I don't believe it had ever been touched.

Tim says dash needs to be protected from the battery by the breaker, which it is. Chris says it does not need to be protected from the alternator. So basically Tim's diagram needs the orange alt output on the other side of the 50A engine breaker.

No, he's confirming what I said. He just misused the term "protected." Only the starter and battery are on the UNprotected side. Everything else is on the protected side, that is, protected from the battery which is the greatest current source in the boat.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2008 at 4:43pm

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2008 at 4:40pm

I can't see the picture now, RR filters it out, put I don't understand whats hard to read in the diagram to figure out where everything is connected looks pretty clear to me and I didn't see any posting by me on your wiring diagram topic link you posted.

Like I said, thanks for the help putting my diagram together.

In the PCM manual, the electrical connections are correct, but the physical connections depicted are misleading. For example, the alternator does not connect to the ballast resistor like the diagram shows (though it is electrically equivalent). Its also difficult to tell which wires connect to which posts on the starter solenoid. The second diagram is much clearer.

When youre able to see the pics, be sure to tell us if you still think the alt goes through the breaker on the way to the dash. Reference connections #22 and #23.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic