NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Aluminum Stringers

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aluminum Stringers
    Posted: March-14-2008 at 11:28pm
Thanks for looking out for us.

I am kinda glad you are still here..safe. And the training you are doing is surely needed.

Miss the boat? Plans for another one?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2008 at 3:32pm
I volunteered for another mission in Afghanistan that departed in March. But I got passed over on that one. Now I train soldiers on the Stryker RV. Unless I can catch another mission I'll be stateside at least a year before I head back to a fighting unit.

Thanks for looking out.
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2008 at 1:17am
Bill: Are you still stateside doing the training thing?

If not; stay safe.

Still cannot believe you sold that beautiful work of art after all that effort.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2008 at 7:29pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Greg, Start knocking some of the baffles out of the mufflers!!

Reid is trying to figure out how to get the V16 in one of his Mustangs!! Ether that or one of those gas turbines!

On a serious note, there's only one small baffle...kinda tongue shaped for lack of a better term.

...if he tried to put a V-16 in a mustang, he'd need to re-roam!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2008 at 7:19pm
Greg, Start knocking some of the baffles out of the mufflers!!

Reid is trying to figure out how to get the V16 in one of his Mustangs!! Ether that or one of those gas turbines!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2008 at 5:10pm

Greg, I thought of you last evening. I was watching "Modern Marvels" on the History channel and they aired the segment on engines. In that segment they report on Waukeshaw (the same that at one time made marine engines) and the large engines they put on their gensets. Because of the noise and the orange color, they call them "thunder pumpkins"!!

LOLOL!!! I just about fell outa my chair?!!? We were watching the very same show and we laughed so hard...I remember thinking "I wonder if any of the guys saw that?". Amy likes the nickname, but I think it needs mods...    And this is your fault Eric L...but we like it. All of my friends and neighbors ask about it now.

Was that 47lb pistons?!!? WOW I think I counted a V-16!!! Now that's a lot of metal in motion...I think it was constant(and low) rpms though.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2008 at 4:09pm
Greg, I thought of you last evening. I was watching "Modern Marvels" on the History channel and they aired the segment on engines. In that segment they report on Waukeshaw (the same that at one time made marine engines) and the large engines they put on their gensets. Because of the noise and the orange color, they call them "thunder pumpkins"!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2008 at 3:17pm
Bill, well said! Your point holds true with most things. Know that your comments are welcome over in the pumpkin patch!
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2008 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by SkiBum SkiBum wrote:

Somebody else owns the boat now, but if they care for it properly, their grandchildren will be able to ski behind it 40 years from now.

Bill, You forgot to add the excellent job you did on the stringers and sealing them. Something that the factory didn't do.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2008 at 2:48pm
Out of all the times this issue has been discussed, I think this is the first time somebody pointed out the importance of the care of the boat, post installation of the stringers. I understand that it is a boat, but the water is supposed to stay on the outside.

In my neighborhood there are two boats that have sat outside, uncovered, for two years. I see plenty of boats sitting in slips, uncovered with strange growth on their hull. I have seen plenty of people being very careless about getting water inside their boats while at the lake.

But there is a population of responsible boat owners who are very careful while on the water; they wipe their boats dry when they pull them out of the water; and they store them inside some structure. I like to consider myself part of that group.

Having said all of that, I too, thought of several options, other than fir, to replace the stringers in the '87. In the end I chose fir. Somebody else owns the boat now, but if they care for it properly, their grandchildren will be able to ski behind it 40 years from now.
Bill
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2008 at 12:39pm
Eric, you make a solid point...and one that I like! I will be among those who take care of their boat. My grandfather drilled that into me years ago.

I have a pros and cons list that is much longer on the pro side of using fir. It's decided then for me.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2008 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by Bhedbloom Bhedbloom wrote:

BuffaloBFN:

That V8 wheelchair sounds like a cool idea, but only with headers, side pipes and maybe some racing slicks or monster mudd tires!

LOL!!!
1988 BFN-sold

Bhedbloom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bhedbloom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2008 at 12:24pm
Thanks for the additional threads. That "Pumpkin Patch" thread was a good read. A lot of good info. to noodle on. Well, I guess its time to mount the flapper disc into the grinder and get to work! I'm sure by lunch I will start reaching for the beer instead of the coffee. Y'all have a good weekend!

BuffaloBFN:

That V8 wheelchair sounds like a cool idea, but only with headers, side pipes and maybe some racing slicks or monster mudd tires!

Barry, South Carolina
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2008 at 11:34am
Hi

Have a look on web for this Roechling Glastic which is made in the US May be spelt Rochling in the US,you have more choice of grades,than I have in the UK, If you look under Gold Member they say it can be used for boat building/repairing,could be of some help.

Roger.
Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2008 at 11:15am
of the 2 or 3 rotted boats out there of this era there are probably 10 fold that are not rotted, these are the ones the were properly taken care of and sure the factory does do sloppy work and does not treat every piece of wood.
when you do this extensive work on a boat you are going to take care of it better than anything else in your life, when you invest this much time and energy into a boat and rotted stringers you will take the extra measures to dry the boat after use, alot of these boats sit for weeks with a foot of water in the bildge and these are the ones that rot and these are the ones that were not taken care of and thats when you come along and get a great deal on it.
as in Gregs case when he is done with his boat there is no reason that he shouldnt get 40 or 50 years easily out of the boat. these boats simply do not just rot, it is the careless owners before you that make them rot. using wood is the only choice on these IMO pre 1993
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2008 at 7:04am

Keep in mind that the factory made no attempts to keep water out of the wood stringers and they used polyester resin (hygroscopic) and not epoxy.

Very true, I will have opportunities to seal the wood in better than it was. I also won't be leaving any raw plywood edges exposed.

Have you drawn up plans for a V-8 wheelchair yet? Somehow, I think aging will be a little different for many on this site! LOL
1988 BFN-sold

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2008 at 5:53am
move down and read the thread titled weeding the pumpkin patch this discussion has occurred there...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Bhedbloom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bhedbloom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2008 at 12:53am
As a residential home builder and remodeling contractor as well as a furniture builder I am all too aware of wood and it's limitations which is why the synthetic building materials industry that produce products that DO NOT ROT has sky rocketed in the last decade!

I'm trying to think outside the box to see if there might be some better solutions for our great classic crafts. "If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you've always gotten! Rotten!

On many larger vessels that have planning or semi-planing hulls I have read that high density foam is used and covered with a 1/4" layer of glass unlike my stringers that have only a thin layer of glass. At that point the glass build-up becomes the structural part of the stringer and the foam just stays in there as a support. Anybody tried this method?

After a little more research I'll try something non-wood and let ya'll know how the boat performs. Thanks to everyone for all the continued input, and Happy Boating!
Barry, South Carolina
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2008 at 10:04pm
Greg, I completely understand everyones concern with the wood. It is one of mine as well but besides building up a composite, I feel it is the easiest and most economical solution. Keep in mind that the factory made no attempts to keep water out of the wood stringers and they used polyester resin (hygroscopic) and not epoxy. If the factory job lasted say 15 to 20 years, then I would say then proper stringer job will last at least twice as long. 30 to 40 years from now we all will probably be in wheel chairs at the home and really won't need to worry about it!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2008 at 9:39pm
Pete, I feel just as he does, but I've yet to find the answer. I'm happy to use fir as I know how to make it fit...but will I be wondering 5 years down the road?!!?
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2008 at 8:50pm
Barry, You sure have this thing against wood!! As a wood boat owner, I need to remind you that if God intended boats to be made of fiberglass, he would have created fiberglass trees. Are your carpentry skills weak? We can all guide you through the process.

I do not know anyone who has used the SeaCast. I do know it is heavy and expensive.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2008 at 7:54pm
Noah used wood, he just kept it dry, the key word here is aftercare, the way its going with the gas prices 40 or 50 years???
Bhedbloom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bhedbloom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2008 at 7:37pm
Is anyone here running a boat with poured stringers (like SeaCast)? I know there were a couple of you considering it a year or so ago.

If so what are your thoughts on the performace of the stuff? There has to be a better product for stringers than wood!

I know for a fact that if I take wood stringers out of my boat, wood will not find itself back in there. When my boats get passed to the next generation of ski and watercraft fans, they won't be left with a mess to deal with. Plus I plan on boating for another 40-50yrs.

Barry, South Carolina
Bhedbloom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bhedbloom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2008 at 3:04pm
Thanks for all of the input. I am going to try and load an image to give yall a detailed look at the stringer system of the San Juan.

Barry, South Carolina
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2008 at 3:00pm
Just get the lightest fir 2" wide that you can. Lay it up properly. Don't store the boat outside anymore. It will last another 20 years.
Bill
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2008 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Has anyone here used a built up stringer as opposed to 2x lumber? Certainly sounds stronger and beats trying to find that perfect piece of straight grain fir if there is any of that left, any delam issues.   How about bolting down into it on a boat without a cradle, any splitting? I've got atleast one maybe 2 stringer projects looming in the near future.

Alan, I have not for stringers because I to this day have always been lucky with finding nice fir. I have on other projects and it is a very strong method. I was just at a Blackhawk chapter tech seminar and the host had just finished a sailbot mast. 3 Layers of Siberian Larch and 2 carbon fiber. No splitting and will lag bolt very nice with proper size pilot holes (due to the epoxy, the laminated is harder in spots so the pilots are a little larger - shank clearance too) Great method but it's less work if you can find the nice fir. I'm sure you know to go to the local lumber yard for the fir rather than one of the "Home Depots"!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2008 at 1:58pm

If you are going to use the Doc's build up method, I would like to recommend against the Okume. Meranti would be my choice. Even though it would be epoxied together, the Okume is the least rot resistant of the "mahogany family". If you can't find anything besides the Okume, then use a max thickness of 1/8" and plenty of epoxy.

Of coarse knowing Greg, he'll use something like tulip wood!!!!

Has anyone here used a built up stringer as opposed to 2x lumber? Certainly sounds stronger and beats trying to find that perfect piece of straight grain fir if there is any of that left, any delam issues.   How about bolting down into it on a boat without a cradle, any splitting? I've got atleast one maybe 2 stringer projects looming in the near future.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2008 at 10:27am
i am picture savy, i think you mean picture lazy, i"ll snap a shot, the store he had we went out of business and he sold everything for .10 on the dollar, my brother ended up with garden benches, book cases and a ton of other stuff, i was on vacation during the auction so i didnt get a chance to buy any of it. 2 weeks before the auction hios wife was trying to sell him a couch set for 2500.00 and he ended up getting it at the auction for 160.00 (it was all high end stuff)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2008 at 8:49am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Greg, one of my friends bought us a teak carved eagle as a gift from Bali which is in my office, he paid 75 bucks for it, it stands about 3 feet tall, if i saw it here somewhere for sale i would think you could get at least 2K for it, it is beautiful, he had 2 containers shipped back here full of teak carvings, furniture and so on,
things must be real cheap over there

I'd like to see it. We gotta get you picture savvy! It's also comforting to know you're being looked after...do you talk to him?!!? Does he tell you which customers to run from? LOL

Barry, nice boats and sorry for the thread jack.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2008 at 7:39am
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

And the boiler is Purpleheart, The sides thingys are Padauk(sp), the chassis is oak, the stripe in the body is cherry, the wheels maybe walnut? How'd I do?

Alan, You are getting closer to that wood boat every day! Very good!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic