Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Aluminum Stringers

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Bhedbloom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bhedbloom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aluminum Stringers
    Posted: February-26-2008 at 3:06pm
I have done a lot of research on this site regarding stringer replacement and what I have decerned is that you can cut out the old ones and glass in new wood, or cut out the center of the stringers and pour in new ones.

I have a thought on aluminum stringers and wanted some of your opinions on the subject before I go for it.

Why couldn't I take aluminum channel stock, slide it over the old stringer, through bolt it in, and glass over this assembly? Wouldn't that give a stringer system that would last forever and be stronger than stock? Thanks for any and all thoughts on this subject!
Barry, South Carolina
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2008 at 3:28pm
Barry, here is my take on that suggestion..
It would not be FAST
It would not be SLOW
THAT MEANS IT WOULD BE HALFAST

To do it on a MasterCraft maybe
To do this to a Correct Craft.....NOT

Do it right or not at all......

boat dr
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2008 at 3:41pm
Doc, youre presuming that he would be adding aluminum channel to avoid replacing rotten stringers. If thats the case, then I agree that its not an ideal solution.

Barry, using aluminum over the stringers isnt a bad idea- Correct Craft started installing aluminum engine cradles in '89 or '90, and they work great. I believe its a better/stronger design than bolting the motormounts down from the top of the stringers.

That being said, strength isnt necessarily the problem when it comes to stringer replacement. Adding the aluminum over wood wouldnt help solve the problem of the rotting structure underneath. Im not sure how well epoxy would stick to aluminum, which might be a consideration as well.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2008 at 4:03pm
Barry, The boat Doc hit it right on the head! "Halfast" was exactly my first impression! You would end up creating more problems than you already may have. The moisture is already in the wood and by simply encasing it you would be promoting the perfect environment for the rot fungus to take over. The aluminum even if anodized will corrode. The cross drilled holes even sealed with 5200 is a spot where more moisture will enter. You will also find it hard to find a channel that is nominally 2"x6". With new wood, a moisture content less than about 6% (or a composite) and then every attempt to seal it in epoxy is the way to go in my opinion.

I notice you have a collection of CC's. Glad to see it! Is there one of your boats that has stringer problems?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
anthonylizardi View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anthonylizardi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2008 at 4:34pm
I bet is his 68 San Juan.
Bhedbloom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bhedbloom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2008 at 4:45pm
8122pbrainard wrote-

Is there one of your boats that has stringer problems?

The last owner of my 1968 San Juan let it sit outside in the rain with no cover. The floor was wet and the eight stringers are very lightly damp in sections but still solid. I have removed all the foam and am drying everthing. I want to strengthen them before installing the new floor. Thanks for your comments and opinion.
Barry, South Carolina
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2008 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Do it right or not at all......boat dr

Let's hear it doc...what's the right way?

Tim, my '88 has the aliminum cradle.

Pete, I just talked to another guy who said to go back with fir; he gave me a number of the reasons you have and he does it for a living!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2008 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Tim, my '88 has the aliminum cradle.

My bad. A little research revealed that CC started putting the aluminum cradle in the Ski Nautique in 1980.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2008 at 5:33pm
Start from scratch,remove and replace one stringer at a time. Somewhere else on here the owner removed all and did not support the hull, MAJOR PROBLEMO.
Hull removed from trailer,and properly supported the full length of stringers.Old material removed to hull and sanded to clean glass.
New stringers cut and formed, sounds easy,but is very time consuming the fit is to be correct and the integrity is "lost"
West System is my tool of choice, but any good epoxy will suffice.Type of wood is also up for debate, fir, pine or red oak all have their place.My choice if done again will be a plywood composite mix,carbon fibre or kevlar intermixed with plys of Okeum...All sealed with generous amonts added to seal before the encapsulation with matt and rove.
Added to the perimeter is an all aluminum engine mount girdle.But this cannot be an after thought,stringer height will have to be reduced for engine to be at original elevation.
Ask how I know about this last step and what plans are needed before the girdle is fabricated?????
The next stringer job will go a little faster, the more you do the less mistakes you make.
This is not to say MY WAY is correct , just this is how I would do it again.....................Boat dr
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2008 at 6:00pm
Thanks doc, in the end and with expenses factored in, I'm just about sure that's the way to go. I do appreciate your input!
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2008 at 7:08pm
If you are going to use the Doc's build up method, I would like to recommend against the Okume. Meranti would be my choice. Even though it would be epoxied together, the Okume is the least rot resistant of the "mahogany family". If you can't find anything besides the Okume, then use a max thickness of 1/8" and plenty of epoxy.

Of coarse knowing Greg, he'll use something like tulip wood!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2008 at 7:31pm
Present company excluded I wouldnt necessarily take the word of someone who does it for a living as gospel, way to many fiberglass fumes over the years...   
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2008 at 7:51pm
tulip wood? or is that tulips on some wood?
Pete you have to start thinking like a deviate like myself and a few others on the site, i am a result of to many fiberglass fumes, so i have an excuse
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2008 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

tulip wood? or is that tulips on some wood?
Pete you have to start thinking like a deviate like myself and a few others on the site, i am a result of to many fiberglass fumes, so i have an excuse

There is such a thing as tulipwood...have some in my shop, but contrary to the 'lite' name, it's quite heavy!

LMAO
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2008 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Present company excluded I wouldnt necessarily take the word of someone who does it for a living as gospel, way to many fiberglass fumes over the years...   

Joe, I'm not taking anyone's word so-to-speak. I'm asking questions and comparing answers. On 1 hand, wood may rot someday, but the wood in my boat could've been sealed better. On the other hand, a composite won't ever rot, but I'm not so familiar with that material.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2008 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Now Pete, Tulipwood belongs where it can be seen! LOL Here's a sample for Eric...the cowcatcher is tulipwood.

1988 BFN-sold

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2008 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Now Pete, Tulipwood belongs where it can be seen! LOL Here's a sample for Eric...the cowcatcher is tulipwood.

And the boiler is Purpleheart, The sides thingys are Padauk(sp), the chassis is oak, the stripe in the body is cherry, the wheels maybe walnut? How'd I do?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2008 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

How'd I do?

Spot on as always Alan! There's a few other scraps there as well. I was just trying to send a little culture Eric's way?!!?
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2008 at 11:30pm
Greg, one of my friends bought us a teak carved eagle as a gift from Bali which is in my office, he paid 75 bucks for it, it stands about 3 feet tall, if i saw it here somewhere for sale i would think you could get at least 2K for it, it is beautiful, he had 2 containers shipped back here full of teak carvings, furniture and so on,
things must be real cheap over there
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2008 at 12:10am
Barry: Sweet collection! Personal favorite-the beautiful '72 Southwind. Love the look of that front deck.

Buffalo: Nice job on the woodwork. I gotta say you must be a man of many talents.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2008 at 7:39am

And the boiler is Purpleheart, The sides thingys are Padauk(sp), the chassis is oak, the stripe in the body is cherry, the wheels maybe walnut? How'd I do?

Alan, You are getting closer to that wood boat every day! Very good!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2008 at 8:49am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Greg, one of my friends bought us a teak carved eagle as a gift from Bali which is in my office, he paid 75 bucks for it, it stands about 3 feet tall, if i saw it here somewhere for sale i would think you could get at least 2K for it, it is beautiful, he had 2 containers shipped back here full of teak carvings, furniture and so on,
things must be real cheap over there

I'd like to see it. We gotta get you picture savvy! It's also comforting to know you're being looked after...do you talk to him?!!? Does he tell you which customers to run from? LOL

Barry, nice boats and sorry for the thread jack.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2008 at 10:27am
i am picture savy, i think you mean picture lazy, i"ll snap a shot, the store he had we went out of business and he sold everything for .10 on the dollar, my brother ended up with garden benches, book cases and a ton of other stuff, i was on vacation during the auction so i didnt get a chance to buy any of it. 2 weeks before the auction hios wife was trying to sell him a couch set for 2500.00 and he ended up getting it at the auction for 160.00 (it was all high end stuff)
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2008 at 1:58pm

If you are going to use the Doc's build up method, I would like to recommend against the Okume. Meranti would be my choice. Even though it would be epoxied together, the Okume is the least rot resistant of the "mahogany family". If you can't find anything besides the Okume, then use a max thickness of 1/8" and plenty of epoxy.

Has anyone here used a built up stringer as opposed to 2x lumber? Certainly sounds stronger and beats trying to find that perfect piece of straight grain fir if there is any of that left, any delam issues.   How about bolting down into it on a boat without a cradle, any splitting? I've got atleast one maybe 2 stringer projects looming in the near future.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2008 at 2:18pm

Has anyone here used a built up stringer as opposed to 2x lumber? Certainly sounds stronger and beats trying to find that perfect piece of straight grain fir if there is any of that left, any delam issues.   How about bolting down into it on a boat without a cradle, any splitting? I've got atleast one maybe 2 stringer projects looming in the near future.

Alan, I have not for stringers because I to this day have always been lucky with finding nice fir. I have on other projects and it is a very strong method. I was just at a Blackhawk chapter tech seminar and the host had just finished a sailbot mast. 3 Layers of Siberian Larch and 2 carbon fiber. No splitting and will lag bolt very nice with proper size pilot holes (due to the epoxy, the laminated is harder in spots so the pilots are a little larger - shank clearance too) Great method but it's less work if you can find the nice fir. I'm sure you know to go to the local lumber yard for the fir rather than one of the "Home Depots"!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2008 at 3:00pm
Just get the lightest fir 2" wide that you can. Lay it up properly. Don't store the boat outside anymore. It will last another 20 years.
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
Bhedbloom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bhedbloom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2008 at 3:04pm
Thanks for all of the input. I am going to try and load an image to give yall a detailed look at the stringer system of the San Juan.

Barry, South Carolina
Bhedbloom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bhedbloom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2008 at 7:37pm
Is anyone here running a boat with poured stringers (like SeaCast)? I know there were a couple of you considering it a year or so ago.

If so what are your thoughts on the performace of the stuff? There has to be a better product for stringers than wood!

I know for a fact that if I take wood stringers out of my boat, wood will not find itself back in there. When my boats get passed to the next generation of ski and watercraft fans, they won't be left with a mess to deal with. Plus I plan on boating for another 40-50yrs.

Barry, South Carolina
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2008 at 7:54pm
Noah used wood, he just kept it dry, the key word here is aftercare, the way its going with the gas prices 40 or 50 years???
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-29-2008 at 8:50pm
Barry, You sure have this thing against wood!! As a wood boat owner, I need to remind you that if God intended boats to be made of fiberglass, he would have created fiberglass trees. Are your carpentry skills weak? We can all guide you through the process.

I do not know anyone who has used the SeaCast. I do know it is heavy and expensive.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic