NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hellroaring Battery Isolator / Combiners

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hellroaring Battery Isolator / Combiners
    Posted: March-02-2008 at 1:30am
Has anyone had any experience with any of the Hellroaring Battery Isolator / Combiners?

I'm getting ready to do some stereo upgrades and install a second battery (Optima Blue Top). I want it set up so that the Stereo is running off of the Optima and the starting battery is isolated from the stereo equipment while the engine is off.

I'm thinking about ordering the BIC-95150A set up like this:

-Where would be the best location to install one of these? should I try to keep it close to the starter?

-I think I'm going to try to install the second battery behind the kick panel under the helm along with a 5 channel amp. The starting battery will be left in the back of the boat.

any thoughts or suggestions?

78nautique78 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78nautique78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2008 at 7:26pm
A perko switch is 30 or 40 bucks at overtons. It's a battery selector switch.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2008 at 2:03am
I'm familiar with the Perko switch setup and I don't want to go that route. I don't want to have to remember to switch the switch all the time. I like this type of device since it operates fully automagicly.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2008 at 2:44am
I can't believe no one has seen or used one of these...

Anyway, I ordered one and got it last week and have started to think about how I am going to mount and wire it. The guy I talked to at Hellroaring said that it would be best to mount it as close to the starter as possible

I think I want to mount it to the aluminum under the engine cover. I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not. if it is a suitable location, what type of screws should I use to mount it?

I took some pics showing the size and where I want to place it...

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2008 at 9:39am
Originally posted by Randy_in_Ohio Randy_in_Ohio wrote:

I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not. if it is a suitable location, what type of screws should I use to mount it?

RiO, I'd worry about drilling the holes in the glass more than what screws to use to mount it. I've never had much luck drilling glass even with the special drill bits.

Seriously, The location on the aluminum (grounded) and vertical for air flow through the heat sink looks good. I would use some self tapping stainless 8-32's

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Bremsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bremsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2008 at 12:35pm
I have heard good things about the Hellroaring. I went with the Yandina; basically the same concept. So far its worked very well.

I would suggest installing a perko along with the combiner. Just leave it in the 1 position for automatic charging/isolating, but you still have the option to switch over to the stereo battery if needed. I had a draw on my starting battery early in the season and was glad I was able to switch over to the bluetop to get the boat started.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2008 at 2:26pm
Thanks for the response.

I will pick up some stainless 8-32's and mount it on the aluminum.

Bremsen, I am planning on installing the remote switch and remote LED option. this is supposed to allow switching to the aux. battery if needed, to start. Mike from Hellroaring explained that it may take about 10-15 minutes to transfer enough power from the aux. battery to the starting battery to start but would save the trouble of jumping or moving the battery's in an emergency situation. they sell this remote kit but all it is is a 3 way on-off-on switch and a remote LED, I am able to buy this stuff pretty cheap at the local electronics part store. my plan is to mount the switch/LED in the kickpanel...

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2008 at 4:20pm
I'd be worried about that mounting location in the event that the bilge fills to capacity, e.g. during a rainstorm without a cover, etc.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Bremsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bremsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2008 at 7:38pm
Randy, mine has that same remote option, though I didn't opt to use it. Problem I found with the remote is that you can't select batt 2 by itself, you can only combine in an emergency.

Here is the problem scenario: The starting battery is dead. Click, click. Voltage on Batt 2 is low (you've been on the sandbar for a couple hours) but could still start the boat on its own. You combine the two with the remote switch, the voltage equalizes between the banks and neither battery has enough voltage to start the boat.

Thats why I suggest the perko.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2008 at 1:00am
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

I'd be worried about that mounting location in the event that the bilge fills to capacity, e.g. during a rainstorm without a cover, etc.

Good point Joel, was not really thinking of that...   but, on the other hand, when the boat is not being used it is stored in the garage. Besides if the water would get that high in the bilge I would also have a wet starter and starting batttery which is in the back of the bilge. the isolator/combiner is supposed to be waterproof and looks like it is sealed, so I doubt it would be damaged even if under water.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2008 at 1:23am
Bremsen, That makes sense. I see what your saying but, I'm not sure how you would wire in the Perko.

Wouldn't combining two half dead batteries be better than one half dead battery?

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2008 at 1:47am
BTW, can anyone tell me how many amps my stock alternator will put out?

Edit: the alternator puts out 51A, found it printed on the back of the alternator.
Bremsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bremsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-19-2008 at 1:34pm
Randy, since the voltage will equalize between the two when you combine, you would be S-O-L. Their method is fine if you have a true backup battery (that doesn't have any current draw) but, IMO, if you are drawing off both batteries then the perko is a better option. I might be taking things to the extreme, but thats just how I am.

Here is an example of how to wire up a perko with a combiner.

I am a bit surprised that they would wire the combiner so that the house battery is charged before the starting battery. The suggested wiring on my combiner is to charge the starting battery first and then the house.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2008 at 3:07am
Bremsen,

The Hellroaring combiner is not wired so that the house battery is charged before the starting battery. Once the engine is running both batteries are being charged. At least this is what the guy from hellroaring told me.

The more I think about this... as long as everything is run to the aux/house battery including the amp, head unit, lights, bilge pumps , etc. There will not be any drain on the starting battery. Then, the only way you would have a problem starting the engine, is if there is a problem with the connection to the starting battery. And you could always swap the starting battery with the aux battery if the starting battery had a problem. I think I will go ahead and wire the remote switch and LED simply because if the starting battery is weak from sitting for a while I could always draw off of the aux to give it a boost. The LED is supposed to provide diagnostic information.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2008 at 2:58pm

as long as everything is run to the aux/house battery including the lights, bilge pumps , etc. There will not be any drain on the starting battery.

Will you be completely rewiring the stock electrical system? Because all accessories (minus the stereo of course) would still be wired directly to the starting battery in the simplest scenario. (Hence, the benefit of the Perko switch.)
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2008 at 3:19pm

Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Good point Joel, was not really thinking of that...   but, on the other hand, when the boat is not being used it is stored in the garage. Besides if the water would get that high in the bilge I would also have a wet starter and starting batttery which is in the back of the bilge. the isolator/combiner is supposed to be waterproof and looks like it is sealed, so I doubt it would be damaged even if under water.

well are you going to seal the connections once you run the wires and they are connected to the post way down low in the bilge. And I don't see how mounting it where you are in the postion you show is going to make it higher than the starter as the start can see a little water and still operate, the isolator can't, because as soon has the water hits those stud terminals it will short across them and burn everything up in the process and then now how are you going to start the boat to run the bilge and empty the water.

What about the time when you forget to install the drain plug, how about the packing flax going out on you, there tons of unforseen scenerio's where water can and will get up to those lower connections and not touch the starter and you dead in the water with no means to remove the water entering the boat. But by then it's to late to say I should have mounted it here instead of where I did.
Bremsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bremsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2008 at 3:19pm
No problem Randy...just a suggestion. Best of luck with the install.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 3:32am
Tim, I am thinking about moving the lights and definitely the head unit over to the aux battery maybe some other things as well, I am going to look at it this weekend and see how much work it will be.

As far as placement of the combiner/isolator, I will take a look this weekend and see if I can find a better place to mount it. I'm thinking there may be someplace in the back I could mount it, Maybe I can find space for the second battery near the fuel tank. I want to keep the cable length down as much as possible.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 5:57pm
just get some nylon bolts and nuts and mount it right to the side of the battery box for the second battery.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2008 at 3:29am
Bremsen, You were right, the BIC will charge the Aux. battery before the starting battery, if set up like the diagram shown in the first post.

After you mentioned that and I started looking at it... it all started to make sense. I called and talked to Mike from Hellroaring. Mike is a great guy and has been very helpful with this project. I explained what I was trying to do and he told me that I should be using the basic auxiliary isolation method. This setup will isolate the Aux. battery from the starting battery when the engine is off and, once the engine is running , will charge the starting battery first and then switch on at 13.4V and combine the batteries so that both are connected to the alternator.

Here is a diagram:

Thanks Ryan for bringing this up.

akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2009 at 3:09pm
Randy did you ever set this up and how well did it work?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2009 at 4:38pm
aka,

yes, I did get this set up and it worked out great!

I have two Optima blue top batteries with the Hellroaring unit isolating the starting battery when the engine is off. I no longer worry about running the battery dead while floating around with the stereo on.

I highly recommend this product.
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2009 at 5:10pm
Cool thanks Randy! I am going to go that route. Can you tell me the models of your blue tops? Thanks!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2009 at 7:44pm
I think I got the hellroaring model BIC-95150B. I'll double check later after I'm home.
The Optima Blue top batteries only come in one model... Remember to read everything carefully, you must be sure to use the correct length and gage of wire or you will fry your alternator.

Mike at hellroaring was very helpful when I needed help setting it up.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2009 at 7:46pm

The Optima Blue top batteries only come in one model...

Im pretty sure they come in 3 flavors. 34M is a starting batt, D34M and D31M are both dual purpose in different case sizes.
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2009 at 8:31pm
Joe said he had two of the D34Ms in his boat. I thought the D stood for deep cycle but maybe it stands for Dual? I guess I will start with the starter battery until I get the stereo in and then add the Deep cycle. I am building my own battery box so I can make room for both of them when I am ready to add the second.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2009 at 8:33pm
Tim, you may be right.... I got mine at Sams club, they only had the one size in the Blue top. It is a dual purpose.

The picture on the website shows two different sizes, mine is the smaller one...

Optima
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2009 at 1:05am
Sorry Randy I am confused then. You don't have two optimas? One starting battery and one deep cycle? Do you have two of the same or do you have one optima and one different battery all together?

I didn't know they carried them at Sams! That's good to know. I will go check them out tomorrow!

Later!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2009 at 1:29am
I have two Optima Blue Tops. I started out with one Optima Blue as the Aux and one two year old Advanced Auto brand automotive battery. I decided to get rid of the generic battery a couple weeks after getting everything set up. There is nothing wrong with running two different type of battery with the isolator, I just wanted to have two good, fresh batteries.
The Optima Blue that I have are both dual purpose (deep cycle/starting) I picked them up at Sam's for about $150 each.
I'm pretty happy with this set up, I have cranked my 5 channel amp for hours and then turned the key and had plenty of power. I also installed a switch and LED in the kick panel, the LED give you diagnostic feedback and I can flip the switch and combine the two batteries in an emergency.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2009 at 11:26am
Originally posted by akabulla akabulla wrote:

Joe said he had two of the D34Ms in his boat. I thought the D stood for deep cycle but maybe it stands for Dual?

All the technical info is on Optima's website.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic