Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

help with diagnosis

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
waterlover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterlover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: help with diagnosis
    Posted: March-02-2008 at 4:50pm
I have an 89 Barefoot Nautique. Over the past four years, it will occasionally act as if it hit a log with the prop when it is under a lot of power during takeoff. I am concluding it is caused by a momentary slipping of the transmission, followed by a sudden regrabbing. All of the reports of transmission slipping on this forum I have read sound much different--so I am reluctant to pull the transmission without knowing for sure that is the problem--but I can't think of anything else. It would seem to me that a slipping trans would quickly get worse. I would also not think it would suddenly regrab.

Shortly after obtaining the boat, I noticed the trans fluid was mixed with water. I pulled it out and replaced it several times.

Can anyone help me diagnose this problem?
waterlover
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2008 at 8:39pm
PCM or Borg Warner? there 2 different animals and will help in diagnosing the problem, I would think that it has a 10-18-004 since it is a barefoot, currently how is the engagement in seconds, this will usually tell what the condition of the trans is in, it is close to impossible to get the water out of these trannys no matter how many times you flush them and also depends on how long the water sat inside, if you could be very specific about everything that is going on please list, information is key to diagnose if it is a trans problem
"the things you own will start to own you"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterlover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2008 at 2:10am
It is a Velvet Drive. The transmission engages and disengages properly. The boat works normally except when under a lot of power. The first time it happened, I thought I hit something like perhaps a stump under water. Since it has repeated several times, I know I am not hitting things. I think the transmission may be very briefly disengaging and then abruptly re-engaging after the engine gains some RPMs.
waterlover
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-03-2008 at 9:29am
a slip is more of a smooth release and the rpms will rise rapidly, and it only takes a couple times at higher rpms to warp the plates from heat and lock the trans in forward which will make the trans loose nuetral when in nuetral, when the plates warp from heat you loose your forward clutch pack clearance and they will drag. I assume you checked the oil level? and did you smell and look at the color of the oil? these are other indicators of the condition of the trans. check all your keyways on the shaft and at the prop making sure that there is nothing loose and rotating under power.
from what you are describing does it completely come out of gear and does the tach spike to high rpms as it would from the problem your describing?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote waterlover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2008 at 2:47am
The tranny oil is red and is not burnt. The keys are in place on both ends of the shaft. I don't know if it completely comes out of gear. It is definitely not a smooth release. This is very fast. It regrabs so hard it sounds like something is going to get torn up.
waterlover
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-04-2008 at 10:23am
it possibly sounds like a broke forward belleville spring, its very hard to say. these tranny's either work or they dont, there are no in betweens, are you going to further test? do you have access to a pressure guage? from what your describing it does sound like something is broken (not worn) there is a difference. i have no problem if you want to call me, It is alot easier to talk a tranny problem, i talk to ten guys a day with tranny problems...its alot easier to figure out sometimes
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2008 at 5:42pm
Are you checking the fluid level after warm-up?
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2008 at 9:55pm
Is it possible the engine is briefly cutting out ? making it feel like the trans is popping out .
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2008 at 10:19am
good point P, thats definitely a possiblitity
Bigcity View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigcity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2008 at 6:55pm
Hey Waterlover I don't know if this is whats going on with your boat but last season I had a similar situation.

I was just getting a skier underway and struck a submeraged (sinker) log, I immediately cut the throtle back and tried to assess the damage. Without being able to get under the boat and being in the river I could not see what might be going on so I did a series of holeshots, turning at speed etc. At inital engagement of the tranny and at speeds below or above 30mph it all seemed fine. What was happening was at approximately 30mph the prop would cavitate sounding as though the prop or tranny was slipping. I took the boat out of the water and discovered that the front tracking fin was bent at a right angle altering the waterflow over the hull and causing the cavitation. The repair at $90 was a relief and we are good to go.

Hope your situation is as painless as mine.

BIGCITY
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2008 at 7:19pm
Ron took the words out of my mouth...mine's done it a couple times, sounds like cavitation.

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2008 at 11:36pm
    Hmmm,Now that the guys above mentioned it...I was doing something I probably shouldn't have been doing with my bro-in-laws Mastercraft last year and it cavitated.Kind of felt just like hitting something in the water.Scared the sh*t out of me.

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
98SportNautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98SportNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2008 at 11:59pm
Hmmm Note to self dont let Mike use my boat unless of corse its a Mastercraft.
98 Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2008 at 12:30am
now I know why when I tear into some trannys that there is absolutely nothing wrong with them. lol   a mans gotta make a living,
as i said its hard to diagnose a trans problem, if a problem at all, with the descriptions of the symptoms sometimes
05 210 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 05 210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2008 at 12:44am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

now I know why when I tear into some trannys that there is absolutely nothing wrong with them. lol   a mans gotta make a living,

I'll drink to that ,Eric.

Originally posted by 98SportNautique 98SportNautique wrote:

Hmmm Note to self dont let Mike use my boat unless of corse its a Mastercraft.

Note to self...Don't tell Mike to go ahead and put your boat to the test,and then decide to stay on the dock while such test takes place
   Mastercraft or otherwise

Mike
Air Nautique 210 Team

640 hours, not 1 regret
98SportNautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 98SportNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2008 at 12:59am
I agree but if my zx14 was making a noise around 185 mph only in turn two at Daytona would you ride along to figure it out?
98 Sport Nautique
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2008 at 12:18pm
I would , and bring along some Oreos for a snack.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic