Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dash Plate and Teak

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Blazer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blazer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dash Plate and Teak
    Posted: March-08-2008 at 4:52pm
I would like to replace the dash plate on my 1989 Ski Nautique 2001. IE: The plastic plate that all of the breakers and inignition switch mount onto. The current plate is old and worn but otherwise functional. Any one know of a source other than the manufacturer???

Would also like to replace the teak on the swim platform, teak inside bow step etc. Sources?
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2008 at 10:06pm
Terry, I'm sorry that no one has posted a reply to your question the guys here usually will respond faster than that.
A couple of years ago a guy whose name was Brad and went by the screen name '88 nautique inclined about a dash panel one for his. I told him that I could make one out of Carbon-Fiber if he send me a tracing of his original dash. He never did and I think he ended up ordering one from one of the dealers. He was going to send me a blueprint of the new one but he never did that either. He hasn't been here in a long time according to his last log in date. I'll propose the same to you. Only dilema we'll have is that you'll have to come up with a way to label the breakers as I don't. Let me know.

Now your Teak problem is another matter. Is the stuff you have just old, black, or grey in color or fuzzy or maybe distroyed or even missing? You can bring old stuff back to life with cleaners, oils, sandpaper and elbow grease. Hard work but most guys will tell you that it was worth it. I know there are some pics of platforms that have been resurrected from the dead. Might find whole platforms on ebay.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2008 at 11:29pm
Welcome aboard Terry! I also have to do something about my dash...not sure what yet.

I think an item like that dash panel would only come from CC or like 'foot' says, custom from someone like him. We do have a few crafty guys here.

Did you get a factory price?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Bryan89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryan89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2008 at 3:29pm
I just purchased a replacement for my 1989 SN From Mid West Correct Craft. I spoke with James, his number is 260-833-2226. He sent me some pics,.they are not exact but pretty close. The cost is $113 plus shipping.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2008 at 3:34pm
That's less than a glove box lid...
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Bremsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bremsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2008 at 4:04pm
Yeh, thats pretty cheap, a lot less than I figured it would be. I thought someone posted they were a couple hundred.

I had a custom one made by a local plastics co. Just provided an illustrator file for them to work off of.

Dash 1

Close up

Unfortunately the company I chose didn't use the thickness of plastic I specified and its too thin. I'll have to find a different place to make another one for me sometime.

I think I have both the original and custom ai files if anyone wants them.
Blazer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blazer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2008 at 11:56am
Thanks guys.

Bremsen, my dash set up is pretty close to yours. The side with the circuit breakers is identical. My ignition switch and horn placement are a little different. I only have the ignition switch, horn and alarm in mine.

I can't tell from the picture. What is the larger black and white item in the dash?

$113 isn't as bad as I thought it would be. I may give him a call.

Morfoot, I appreciate the info. I would like to be able to keep the labels and the Correct Craft logo if possible. If the OEM doesn't work out I will circle back though.

I have just started renovating the boat this year. I bought it used (in pretty bad condition) about 5 years ago. I have spent most of my time on the engine but now its time to start making it look better. Seats are all mildewed (to the point nothing will clean them), seats are split, breakers failing, etc..

But hey.....a guys needs a good project.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2008 at 1:06pm
Yes Ryan I would like the files if you can send them to me. Making a new dash won't be that hard as it is flat with no curves. I'm still working on stencils or something the identify the breakers. I'll make one anyway and post pics of the finished product here like I did the glove box lids.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Bremsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bremsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2008 at 2:22pm
Blazer,
The original file has the horn, alarm and ignition in the original locations along the bottom of the plate. See the   Original Dash PDF. AFAIK, it should be identical between all 88-89 Ski and barefoots. It leaves enough space above them to install a single DIN radio if you wish to cut it up. The extra item in my dash is a wired stereo remote which is why I went the custom route.

Morfoot, I need to get the file from my brother (my comp crashed a month or so and I lost it), so it may take a couple days. No stencils needed for the breaker labels. Mine are all original except I changed one of the 'acc' breakers to 'stereo'. If you have Adobe Illustrator you can simply type in whatever labels you want. The plastic company etched them out. It shows up well on the black panel but you can paint them with white model paint if you really want.

I may email Keith to see if he would like to add it to his reference section.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2008 at 11:19am
Ryan, you still going to contact your bro about the pattern? We are throwing out some carbon-fiber pre-preg that is out of date so I can try making a few dash panels if I know the measurements ( without taking my own apart). I know there is a need out there so hook a ccfan brother up!
Bremsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bremsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2008 at 11:49pm
Tim, Sorry it took so long. I was told that the pdf file is editable using an up-to-date version of Illustrator. Here is the index if you wish to download:

Dash index

On that first file, when you right-click, you can change the extension to .ai and your computer should open the file up directly into Illustrator. Otherwise just open the .pdf in illustrator....either way works. Again, we made that file to scale so it work when making dash plates.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 7:26am
Hey Thanks Ryan . I'll try to get the Carbon Fiber laid up today. Just gotta try and figure out how to print it to scale.
Bremsen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bremsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 2:55pm
Tim, my pleasure. Can't wait to see what you come up with.
Footer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Footer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2008 at 9:48pm
I have a question about teak oil. I am rebuilding my swim platform and have been looking at cleaners and oil. Has anybody ever used a product called TeakGuard? It is a synthetic oil that doesn't allow mold to grow. It is suppost to last longer between applications. I would like to know if product is good to use.
Thanks
'87 Barefoot Nautique
88 Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88 Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2008 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Hey Thanks Ryan . I'll try to get the Carbon Fiber laid up today. Just gotta try and figure out how to print it to scale.

Tim,
Did you ever come up with a dash plate using Bremsen's file? I'm not a CAD guy, but if I found a plastics co. that would do this, is that file all they would need? Is it to scale? Wouldn't they need measurements?

Thanks
Kurt
74SkiNautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2008 at 12:58am
Originally posted by Footer Footer wrote:

I have a question about teak oil. I am rebuilding my swim platform and have been looking at cleaners and oil. Has anybody ever used a product called TeakGuard? It is a synthetic oil that doesn't allow mold to grow. It is suppost to last longer between applications. I would like to know if product is good to use.
Thanks

I use 3M Teak Oil on my ski platform. WORKS GREAT!
74SkiNautique
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2008 at 2:17pm
Kurt.. I haven't been able to come up with anything as of yet. I tried several times to print out a scale blueprint but have failed. Not too computer literate so haven't been able to figure it out yet.

I've got a sheet of carbon fiber laid up and ready to go but haven't had alot of time to fool with it yet. We've been maxed out on OT since the start of summer. Well the OT well has finally dried up so I'll be able to start messing with it again.
Let me know if you figure out how to print it to scale.
shagit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2008 at 1:43pm
Hey all, I found a plastics place that cut up some black lexan for me. I had to by a certain amount, but that left me with 6 extra pieces. They are cut to the exact length, width, and thickness of the factory 89 panel, but have not got the curve for the steering wheel cut out, or holes for buttons, ect. They have a slight texture to the finished side, but should look nice. I am going to trace mine and try to cut out smooth, and drill the holes. The pieces have the 45 degree bevel needed to fit in the dash nice. I will try to post some pics. I will sell the pieces as they are now, if anyone wants to to do the small amount of labor themselves(cutting out to match their panel). I probably can let them go for $35-40 ea. plus shipping. I will try and get one finished for mine, and see how much time it takes me. Maybe I can cut them all as mine, and ask just a lil more for the labor. Let me know what ya think. I will try to get pics soon...
I priced one at my dealer for $150.00!! Yikes!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2008 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by shagit shagit wrote:

I priced one at my dealer for $150.00!! Yikes!

Considering what I imagine it would cost for the raw material, getting it cut down/drilled, and silkscreening, $150 sounds cheap to me!
shagit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2008 at 11:20pm
Well, if you have a drill and some bits, a pencil, and a roto zip tool, it should only take me about a half hour or so to finish it. I will keep ya updated and try to get a few pics. The one at the dealer actually had a rough edge . . . Looked like they outsourced to get one to match - not actually from factory, imo. Have a great weekend!

Mike
shagit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2008 at 12:29am
How do I resize pics?
88 Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88 Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2008 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by shagit shagit wrote:

How do I resize pics?

This is a good way to post pics:

PhotoBucket Tutorial by Randy

How are you going to label the controls?

Kurt
shagit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2008 at 12:51am
Ok, try these links for pics:

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
shagit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2008 at 12:52am

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n285/shagit/DSCN1685.jpg">
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-28-2008 at 10:04am
I used the pdf file that was in the original post. It is to scale but you need a large format printer / plotter to print the file.

I then used it as a template to cut and drill a piece of white polycarbonate (lexen). Then replaced the original indicator lights with 5mm leds. The orig bulb holders fell a part in my hands as I tried tried to dissemble them (sun rot).

I have a friend who is a signwriter so he imported the pdf file into his package so we could modify it a bit. Then printed a vinyl sticker with the cutouts for lettering weeded out to reveal the white polycarbonate. Then covered with a protective clear so the lettering would not lift or be scratched. He said it is a graffiti proof clear he uses on signs.

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
Foot1n View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Foot1n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2016 at 3:18pm
I need a dash plate for a 89 barefoot nautique. Anyone no how to obtain?
wmoorev View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wmoorev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2017 at 10:10am
Greetings - I have a 1988 Dominique, and am also looking for a replacement dash. I saw another thread from someone who made one from aluminum, but have not rebound that post yet. If I stumble upon it, I will Post there too.
I did look on Christine’s site and had no luck.
Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to offer.
-Willy-
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic