Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Summerization check list

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
jerry.nichols@m View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerry.nichols@m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Summerization check list
    Posted: March-13-2008 at 12:04pm
I'm looking for a summerization and maintenance check list for my 99 Sport which has been winterized is currently in storage. Any ideas where I can find such a list?
Thank you.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2008 at 3:42pm
Jerry, Hopefully the boat has been winterized properly. Check that all the drain plugs are in place, then just hook up the battery (charged), check the oil and trans level then turn the key! It really isn't much but some of the marina's really push the "summerization". It must be a real money maker for them and I do know people who fall for the scam!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2008 at 3:50pm
Pete, it may have been winterized with conventional antifreeze/coolant- which would need to be drained, rather than emptied into the lake or driveway.

Other than that, youre right- summerization doesnt really consist of much. It all depends on how it was winterized.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2008 at 3:56pm
When was the impellor last changed?
Tim D
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2008 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Pete, it may have been winterized with conventional antifreeze/coolant- which would need to be drained, rather than emptied into the lake or driveway.

Tim, Is that why I have dead fish around the boat house the day after I get the boats going?? No, I switched to the RV years ago!!!

Very good point though.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2008 at 4:44pm
it's a good idea to check the condition of the impellar, some leave it in all winter, check the belts, adjust as needed. Also it's a good time to check and adjust the rpm, timing, inspect the plug, rotor cap. Most will do a tune-up at the begining of the season and then they will change the oil and filter when it was winterized. It's not a bad Idea to replace the spark plugs also.
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-13-2008 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by jerry.nichols@m jerry.nichols@m wrote:

I'm looking for a summerization and maintenance check list for my 99 Sport which has been winterized is currently in storage. Any ideas where I can find such a list?
Thank you.

Jerry, Beyond what the others have stated above, there is winterization and recommissioning section in the 99 Sport/Air Nautique owners manual in the reference section of this site. Section 8.13 is where to start.
Hope this helps.
-Brad
78nautique78 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78nautique78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2008 at 12:32am
I'm so glad there's talk about SUMMER!!. Mike
Big Pappa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Pappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2008 at 12:46am
Here is the list of things I do each spring to get the boat ready. All that I can think of though.

1. Pull the cover off and give it a good wash and wax.
2. Clean the interior.
3. 303 the Interior
4. Put the impeller back in.
5. Check, condition and tighten the belts
6. Check oil and transmission levels
7. Drain Antifreeze
8. Put charged battery back in
9. Run with fake a lake check for leaks and make sure everything is running good.
10. Clean and oil Teak Swim Deck
11. Check trailer bearings.
12. Check trailer and boat lights.
shawnmc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shawnmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2008 at 1:38am
what is 303 the interior?
Big Pappa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big Pappa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2008 at 2:35am
It is a Vinyl Protectant. Here is a Link
jerry.nichols@m View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerry.nichols@m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2008 at 11:28am
Thank you all very much. One again, thanks to this forum, I am better informed to take proper care of my new (used) boat.
Here's to summer just around the corner!
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2008 at 11:36am
Originally posted by Big Pappa Big Pappa wrote:

Here is the list of things I do each spring to get the boat ready. All that I can think of though.

1. Pull the cover off and give it a good wash.
2. Clean the interior.
3. 303 the Interior
4. Put the impeller back in.
5. Check, condition and tighten the belts
6. Check oil and transmission levels
7. Drain Antifreeze
8. Put charged battery back in
9. Run with fake a lake check for leaks and make sure everything is running good.
10. Clean and oil Teak Swim Deck
11. Check trailer bearings.
12. Check trailer and boat lights.

Lucky number 13. Fill the cooler

Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Behl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Behl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2008 at 12:07pm
You might want to do your tune-up with new gas, not that left in tank over the winter
Steve in Indy

Redone 1977 Ski Tique
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2008 at 2:03pm
just buy a new Boat, its less work!
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-14-2008 at 10:59pm
Better yet...use the boat year-round...right Mark?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
82wake2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82wake2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2008 at 4:51pm
Were is the impeller located on a pcm 351??
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2008 at 4:57pm
Sounds like you could really benefit from flipping through the engine manual, which is available on this site.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2008 at 5:31pm
Joe where are you located?
82wake2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82wake2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2008 at 12:30pm
79 I am in Akron ohio.....
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-31-2008 at 1:03am
oh well that is in ohio sorry, don't know what to say, but your doing pretty good on your own don't hire anything out and take your time like you have and you shoudl be fine, If you get in a bind stop/wait post your concerns then move forward. Always time to do it right, just don't always have to do it right now, some times it's better to wait and think about it before you create more work. But your doing a dandie job so if you come to a point you are scratching your head wait, ask questions then move forward you'll be happy in the long run.
Keith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Owner / Operator of CorrectCraftFan.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Keith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

... It's not a bad Idea to replace the spark plugs also.

Yea, I replace the plugs along with the fuel filter/water seperator in the spring (oil, oil filter, tanny fluid are done during winterization).

-Keith                 
Former:
97 Sport Nautique
1994 Ski Nautique
86 Silver Nautique
79 Mustang
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 3:56pm
well I always liked to spray the cyl walls down with fogging oil in the spring before I started it and I would usually what to change the plugs untill some of the old gas and foggin oil burned off.
winniskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winniskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2008 at 9:00am
I launched the boat for the first ime this year. It started right up. About 10 minutes later, it was overheating. Turns out the impellar failed. It was one season old, 18 months in the boat. Was this bad luck or should I have done something more? I guess I could look at the fresh water strainer at start-up to make sure its drawing water. Anything else?
Jim
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2008 at 10:44am
Originally posted by winniskier winniskier wrote:

I launched the boat for the first ime this year. It started right up. About 10 minutes later, it was overheating. Turns out the impellar failed. It was one season old, 18 months in the boat. Was this bad luck or should I have done something more?

I'd have to say that the impeller has been run dry without water or antifreeze from the winter lay up.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
winniskier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote winniskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2008 at 6:32pm
I guess the question then is how do make sure that it does not run dry in that situation. Should it be primed so it won't run dry on first start-up? Would using a fake-a-lake force water up to the impeller?
Jim
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2008 at 6:49pm

I guess the question then is how do make sure that it does not run dry in that situation. Should it be primed so it won't run dry on first start-up? Would using a fake-a-lake force water up to the impeller?

No need for priming, etc.

By any chance, does your '97 have a shut off valve on the raw water pick up? My dad's '03 does. If that valve is shut, you'll overheat and fry the impeller pretty quick.

Good call on checking the strainer for water flow at start up. Thats part of my routine every time I launch the boat.
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2008 at 3:12pm

I launched the boat for the first ime this year. It started right up. About 10 minutes later, it was overheating. Turns out the impellar failed. It was one season old, 18 months in the boat. Was this bad luck or should I have done something more? I guess I could look at the fresh water strainer at start-up to make sure its drawing water. Anything else?

If it failed when it was that old the most likely thing that happened is your O ring on your strainer dried over the winter and you were sucking air. Best thing to do at the beginning of the year is to pop the hose off of your raw water pickup and put it in a bucket and let it suck. If it doesn't suck then you have an air leak of bad impeller. Hooking the hose up can mask a problem.

Tim

moses View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2008 at 4:49pm
any of you guys out there got a source for leaf springs for my 76 ski tique trailer? they are 31 inches long and 1 3/4inches wide. i also found out if you don't have water to that impeller when you start up it will turn to toast in a few seconds. the fake alake works good. jlmoses
james m
Briman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Briman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2008 at 12:50am
I too am finally getting my boat out this week. The brutal floods we have had here in Iowa left all the lakes and rivers high for quite some time (I know know how you guys down south felt last year....we got all your missing water this year). I am wondering how hard is it to burn out all of the fogging oil? Is it ok to take the boat out once, then change the plugs afterwards, or am I headed for a letdown? I'd rather do it this way to burn out all of the stabil. I sprayed the fogging oil into the carb while running until the engine puked per someone on here. Or should I take the plugs out and clean them 1st? Sorry bout the hijack but I figured it's related. Thanks in advance, Brian
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic