Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

exhaust question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: exhaust question
    Posted: March-17-2008 at 1:30am
hello. wel our exhaust has craked pretty bad yesterday from mystirous reason.. since here is a 2 week of camping and a very great time have for boat owners we were wondering if we can replace the exhaust with a regular exhaust hose. so we were thinking of running 3' exhaust hose from rizer to silencer temporarly. but wondering if it's recomended. cuz in the normal mufller there's supouse to be a baffle ours both sides are broken and have no idea how this happend. we do have exhaust flappers but are afraid of water comming back thru the exhaust do you guys recomend this or not?

edit:i think i wasen't clear enough. the boat is an 86 sn broken muffler( the fiber one) we want to rplace that with a exhaust hose for these 2 weeks recomended or not?
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2008 at 2:46am
I replaced my old crappy mufflers with stainless strait pipe and it sounds great, but you can use rubber hose or auto exhaust pipe its much cheaper then stainless, theres not much chance that water will make its way back into the motor!

yes feel free to toss those old mufflers in the trash!
84bare12 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 84bare12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2008 at 12:40pm
Go right ahead, you do not need the mufflers. I removed mine 20 years ago, and it sounds nice!!!
Mark 84bare12"
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2008 at 1:06pm
I thought I read somewhere you could even get away with using PVC pipe, hopefully Pete will correct me if I'm wrong though.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2008 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I thought I read somewhere you could even get away with using PVC pipe, hopefully Pete will correct me if I'm wrong though.

You definitely can. I believe our '88 got some hose replaced with PVC- it may still be there to this day.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2008 at 1:23pm
When taking my 77' for a test ride with the seller, the exhaust, which happened to be PVC, failed, used that as leverage for a lower price.

The PVC will work but I do not believe it will last as long. My neighbor Booby ran it on his Bu all summer w/o a problem, in fact he will be a good test of it's endurance cause I know the PVC will be there until it fails!
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2008 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

You definitely can. I believe our '88 got some hose replaced with PVC- it may still be there to this day.

I still have this problem to solve and I was just looking at stainless online...pricey! I already have new hose cut to fit with the mufflers, so the pvc may be what I do for now.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2008 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

I still have this problem to solve and I was just looking at stainless online...pricey! I already have new hose cut to fit with the mufflers, so the pvc may be what I do for now.

Yup, SS tubing isnt cheap! Its a little more expensive than good marine exhaust hose. If you want to go this route, this is the place where I got all of my stuff. They have 3" tubing for ~$15/ft.

Verocious Motorsports
Behl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Behl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2008 at 2:22pm
I replaced mine with all stainless which I got off a customer at a really good price for it was a left over. The expense was in the Hi-Temp Silicone Hump Hose. The cost more than what I paid for the stainless.
Steve in Indy

Redone 1977 Ski Tique
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2008 at 2:47pm
Thanks for the source Tim. Is the stainless 3" on that site suitable? It's much cheaper than what I found.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2008 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Thanks for the source Tim. Is the stainless 3" on that site suitable? It's much cheaper than what I found.

It should be- I used the 3.5" bends and tubing for my exhaust project. 304 grade SS is very high quality, and the wall thickness was greater than anything else I found. This stuff is serious! Good customer service too- highly recommended.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2008 at 3:07pm
This might be a good time to share this info on exhaust hose. I don't see why you couldn't use the 1" for water hose either, although other sites are cheaper for this size.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2008 at 3:16pm

I'd be concered with the PVC. CPVC scd. 80 maybe! Maybe you're thinking about the fiberglass exhaust tubing? I would just bite the bullet and run hose. Less joints/connections and less potential for leaks.

Tim, The PVC you mentioned was a replacement and not factory? Correct?

Chris, Are you sure the neigbor had PVC?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2008 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Tim, The PVC you mentioned, was that factory?

Nope, it was a repair, circa ~1990. I believe the boat overheated and either cracked a muffler or a hose. It probably wouldnt be my repair of choice, but I doubt its ever been replaced.

For a 2 week temporary repair, I would think it would be just fine.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2008 at 5:08pm
Pete,

Like Tim's example, Booby's original mufflers cracked so he used PVC as a band aide or temporary fix, ran that way all summer and as mentioned he will probably run it that way until the PVC fails.

It seems to be a relatively common practice as in the example of my 77' the owner had done the same "muffler repair". After I purchased the 77' I installed new OEM mufflers.

I agree with Tim, for a 2 week fix it probably is no problem.
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2008 at 8:41pm
When I bought my SS-pipe two years ago it was 75$ for an 8ft stick, my brother just bought the same thing for his boat and it is now $150, so it has went up alot!
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2008 at 11:51pm
hey guys back online after a few days with out pc. well the trips we had planed are busted for good we fixed this exhaust using allot of fiber. we had carb prob repaired it didn't work, blew the exhaust fixed it then the carb got worst now we have repaired the carb and after getting exited to go out we realised our freaking water pump is done. can you rebuuilt thes water pumps? like replacing the bearing??
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2008 at 12:20am
k.o., Yes, rebuilding is possible. Is it he circulating or the raw water pump? (you have two pumps)

You and your brother sure are rough on that boat!! I thought you were going to pull the engine and do a rebuild. Are you still planning on it?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2008 at 12:27am
we trheat this boat very good but salt water and fuel quality is a pita after sitting for 3 weeks or so we have all these problems. yes still planning on it but waiting for money it's pretty expensive to do it here and have a few other things that we would like to do like the floors new carpet. uhm i got ;lost woth the name of the pumps it's the one with pulley on it.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2008 at 12:40am
Both pumps have pulleys on them!! The circulating pump is part of the engine and the Raw water is the add on pump. It has the rubber impeller inside. Both will have bearings that can be replaced but you would need to see if you can get the bearings (and seals) and then they need to be pressed on the shaft.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
k.o. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote k.o. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2008 at 12:54am
it's the raw water pump haha i went to chek on skidim. i thionk we'll be sending it a boat shop here to see if they have the parts to rebuilt it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic