Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine Mount Lag Stripped....Quick Fix??

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine Mount Lag Stripped....Quick Fix??
    Posted: March-22-2008 at 9:28pm
The rear port side engine mount lags are stripped out of my "76 Southwind. The wood is moist around the lags, but seems solid when I push an awl into the stringer.

I don't want to cut the floor and stringers out at this point. Just looking for a good short-medium term fix to allow the lags to bite into something and not strip. How about pouring a two part epoxy into the holes, and redrilling. Or, stuffing wetted fiberglass into the holes, allowing to cure, and then redrilling??

I would like to hear how some of you guys have fixed this situation without putting new stringers in.

Thanks!

Dave
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2008 at 10:29pm

One of these bits and about a foot of threaded rod should be long enough to get through the bottom of the boat. To reduce the drag, try a acorn nut on the bottom.

Seriously Dave, Pour some epoxy in and let it cure. Drill a generous pilot hole and run the lag back in. Keep a eye on the alignment. I would hate for you to have to send a blown trans from mis alignment due to rotten stringers.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2008 at 11:35pm
Gee Pete, for a minute I thought you were serious.

All 4 (or is it 8) lag bolts in our 88 Skier have been stripped since the first time I checked their tightness, probably 10-12 years ago. They tighten up to the point where you know if you go past a certain point, they spin easy. We keep running it every year with no problems, (knock on wood). I don't check them anymore.
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2008 at 12:00pm
LOL Pete

My Uncle once lagged an old Chris to the trailer.Customer brought it back in when he couldn't get her off the trailer.

Munday
If the only tool you have is a hammer,everything starts to look like a nail.
1969cc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1969cc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2008 at 11:41pm
Is it just me or did some postings get pulled on this subject?
Fred
If you see light at the end of the tunnel you might be looking the wrong way

69 Mustang
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2008 at 12:32am
Fred;

You are correct. Yesterday, the forum was down for maintainence and all the boats in the diaries had "this site was hacked by.....". So, I think the site was hacked into and my guess was that they had to restore things back to a certain safe date which was probably a few days ago. So, yes, a bunch of postings were taken out.

There were some very good posts by some very knowlegable people. In my case, to solve my lag strip out issue, I think I am going to go with the next size larger lag and pour a two part epoxy into the lag holes, put a large pilot hole in and put the lags back in.

I went to the hardware store tonight and bought new lags that were the same size thinking the newer lags would have a better bite. Not the case. Still stripped.

I was also contemplating using CPES and pouring that into the lag holes and letting it seep into the stringers to strengthen them in the rear of the boat. But, with possible moisture in the stringers, I am going to forgo doing that. I will just go with bigger lags, epoxy and hope for the best.

One person on here (Riley I think) indicated his boat had stripped lags for years, and it runs fine, so maybe there is hope for me. Right now, I am not that worried about it because my stringers seem to be firm, as I can't push an awl too far into them when I go in through the lag holes.

So, this may catch you up a little bit.

Dave
1969cc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1969cc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2008 at 2:10am
Dave
Thanks for the reply. I figured it might be a hack when I tried to access the Diaries and couldn't. The CPES should buy you some time. I tried it once after using a heat gun to try to dry out the mounts for about a week. It worked okay for me. Good luck on yours.
Fred

69 Mustang
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2008 at 11:56am
Originally posted by davidg davidg wrote:

There were some very good posts by some very knowlegable people. In my case, to solve my lag strip out issue, I think I am going to go with the next size larger lag and pour a two part epoxy into the lag holes, put a large pilot hole in and put the lags back in.

I was also contemplating using CPES and pouring that into the lag holes and letting it seep into the stringers to strengthen them in the rear of the boat. But, with possible moisture in the stringers, I am going to forgo doing that. I will just go with bigger lags, epoxy and hope for the best.
Dave

Dave, At this point there really isn't much you can do with possible moisture in the stringers. Yes, heat will help but removing is the only real answer. The CPES epoxy will penetrate into the wood and then the normal epoxy will fill up missing wood. I don't feel going to a next larger size of lag is needed. Try filling up the hole first and go from there. The reason the CPES wants the wood dry is so it has a spot to penetrate to. With wood full of water, the CPES can't go anyplace!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2008 at 12:12pm
I agree with Pete, if you cant actually get it dried out I doubt anything will be of more help than say stuffing match sticks in the existing hole, or as you suggested using bigger lag bolts. There is not a whole lot that is going to stick to or penetrate wet wood. Its when you get the wood dried out and its brittle that the cpes can basically petrify whats left of the wood.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2008 at 11:05pm
dave, try loosening the mounts and turning them a touch or try to angle the new lags in to catch new wood,
dont worry there are boats out there that are so rotted and the owners dont realize and have been running them around for years. eventually though you'll have to repair the boat
"the things you own will start to own you"
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2008 at 1:42am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

dave, try loosening the mounts and turning them a touch or try to angle the new lags in to catch new wood,
dont worry there are boats out there that are so rotted and the owners dont realize and have been running them around for years. eventually though you'll have to repair the boat

Cannot be hearing that from you , the SUPER TECH that speaks of getting coupling clearance to .003.. Telling a fellow member to just angle the lag bolt and go for it cause you seen other guys do it.And their stuff has ran for years.
Can't beleive you told him that Eric,ooops, yes I do.....
In the next post you will tell him to send you his tranny cause mis-alighnment took out the rear bearing .Good for your business HUH?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2008 at 3:27pm
boat doc, my first solution which got deleted from the hacker was barrel style bushings thru the stringers and thru bolt vertically, apparently he wants a quick fix and not get involved in a stringer repair right now and he is going to do what he is going to do, and i merely suggested as a last ditch effort which will be more safe than what the boat is now to find new wood which it is clearly stated that it is wet and not rotted to lag into an area where the hole is not stripped
and thank you for calling me a super tech because i always reffered to myself as a grease monkey
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2008 at 3:40pm
Wouldn't a boat with rotted mounts become self aligning? Maybe that's why we haven't had any problems.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2008 at 3:42pm
Sorry if i offended you , but yours sounded like a half assed way to repair ......
Any input other than repairing the boat properly will cost him down the road, either tranny work, or stuctural damage and maybe both.
My hit on you was in regards to your comment there are lots of boats out there with the same engine mount issues,and they have ran them for years.......
Igorance is bliss, but very expensive. The easier softer way is usually wrong...
Just my two cents worth Mr. Lavine,and the shot as to "SUPER TECH" was not an ego booster, remember the control box you took apart and could not put back together,I DO....................Boat dr
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2008 at 3:49pm
This guy with 43 posts is likely to leave this site where he found it?!!? Yall just have a quick fist fight and we'll see you both at the same party later...heck, it used to work!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2008 at 3:53pm
it's just not very sound advice, and realy reflects bad on the site if they are going to give half assed suggestions to repair things and then too throw in he's in the business of repairing boats? makes me wonder about a lot of thinks.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2008 at 3:55pm
I should add that you have both helped me and I would miss either of you!!!

FWIW-you're also the only 2 I've sent anything to. When I get the weeds out of the patch, I have a few others to catch up with, but you are currently the only 2.

Smile Damnit!   LOL
1988 BFN-sold

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2008 at 3:59pm
Billy, I'm a perfect example of a guy who can sometimes get by with "ignorance is bliss" way of life. My buddy that I own the Skier with brought a buddy of his up from NC last summer. This guy watched me do a semi annual repairs on the floor with Git Rot. This guy is a doctor and naturally can't relate to any repair not done right and by the proper professional, but from what I hear, he is still talking about my repairs and tells people I can hold a boat together with belly button lint. I think that's a compliment.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2008 at 4:07pm
Chris, I don't think he made much on me if any. I did have a bill and it wasn't 50 bucks, but my trans had been around the block and was a mess...more than 1 fuid used, leak sealer etc. Now I'm not admitting to doing all of that, but it was done.

In the end, I feel like he treated me well and even tolerated some impatient calls 'cause I wanted to be back in the water by the 4th of July.

I'd go to bat for all of you!
1988 BFN-sold

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2008 at 4:47pm
The original poster was ASKING for half assed repair suggestions, and he got a few. Trolling around slamming fellow members also reflects badly upon this site.

Obviously this stems from one particular boat, remember there are 3 sides to every story... I think Eric still has a 99% approval rating.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2008 at 5:05pm
Good post Hollywood. Hammering on people does reflect badly on the site, as well as stresses the regulars out.

There's long term fixes and short term fixes. Nothing wrong with people offering short term fixes, (even though they maybe half ass), because that is often what's needed to go another summer and the long term fix isn't doable.

87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2008 at 5:12pm
Small thread jack.

Hollywood remember you only have one side of that story as well. I will not mess another members thread, agin other then to say I will post the full story on that boat from the beginning with pics to help explain.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2008 at 5:20pm
Which is why I haven't posted anything about it, because I don't know the whole story. Not sure why anyone else feels the need to chime in about it though. I'm not choosing sides, it doesn't concern me, just trying to keep the dogs off Eric's back.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2008 at 5:42pm
I'm just going by what I have read in his postings.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2008 at 5:44pm
Definitely a lot of personal attacks lately and it reflects badly on everyone.

There is a difference between disagreeing with someone and attacking them. If you refer to someones age, weight, IQ, work ethic, area of the country, mother, choice of engine manufacter, call them a name other than the thier screen name or the one god gave them then it is an attack and its got no place here, particularily on someone elses thread.

If someone has a legitimate beef with another member over a business deal and they feel it would benefit the community to hear about it please start your own thread and the moderators will decide whether it has merit or should be deleted. This type of stuff takes food off Keith's table by chasing away members and ultimately advertisers and I know nobody wants that.

-Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2008 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Definitely a lot of personal attacks lately and it reflects badly on everyone.

There is a difference between disagreeing with someone and attacking them. If you refer to someones age, weight, IQ, work ethic, area of the country, mother, choice of engine manufacter, call them a name other than the thier screen name or the one god gave them then it is an attack and its got no place here, particularily on someone elses thread.

If someone has a legitimate beef with another member over a business deal and they feel it would benefit the community to hear about it please start your own thread and the moderators will decide whether it has merit or should be deleted. This type of stuff takes food off Keith's table by chasing away members and ultimately advertisers and I know nobody wants that.

-Joe.

Well said!
1988 BFN-sold

1969cc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1969cc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2008 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by riley riley wrote:

There's long term fixes and short term fixes. Nothing wrong with people offering short term fixes, (even though they maybe half ass), because that is often what's needed to go another summer and the long term fix isn't doable.

Well said Riley. It's not like the original post stated that all mounting bolts were stripped. As I recall he said the rear port side engine mount lags are stripped out. Under his circumstances I wouldn't call it half a$$ed.
Fred

69 Mustang
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2008 at 8:47pm
there is nothing for a new bolt to bite into so it has to be fixed some how before you can put the bolt back in so is it smart to say angle it or do nothing? IMHO no it's not. It needs address and not causually over looked or with some half shot idea because.

So it needs dried out regardless, then if you want to patch with a band aid fine, add some rot doc, let it cure then add some sawdust or epoxy to fill the hole and then install the lag. You have to have a means for it to bite and hold to the stringer and water logged rotting wood doesn't stick to ***************, epoxy or anything else literly. What sticks to water? stink maybe?

It does you no good to pour epoxy, matches or any other half aced idea if there isn't any wood for it to stick too. All your going to do is retain the bolt to the mount and not to the structure of the hull and stringers so you might as well not do anything and that's still wrong, because your just going to tear more stuff up and cost you more than if you just would have fixed it the first time.

so to answer the question no there isn't a quick fix, there are some band aids that take some time but there not as long as replacing the stringer but the fix is the stringers need replaced along with the wet foam and soft deck.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2008 at 10:34pm
Dave, "pay no attention to that man behind the curtain"!!

Just pour some epoxy down the hole let it cure and install the lag.

You MUST keep in mind this is only a temporary fix.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2008 at 10:48pm
my first post got deleted and i gave professional and a very safe method of fixing the problem he had as i always do,

my advice if anyone remembers last week before the 10 posts got deleted was to cross drill into the stringers and install whats called a threaded barrel out of bronze, then you drill down to the barrel vertically and run a bolt to the barrel, not a lag bolt, a bolt with threads which will thread into the barrel and bolt the mount as tight as you care to put it, if this is not a safe repair 79 then you come up with a safer one and dont go there with replacing the stringers cause this guy aint gonna do it, the next safest method would be (if you are a professional you have done this in the past) is to try to find new wood and this can be achieved by turning the mounts or angling the lag bolt.

now, im trying to write this so you understand, if i told the guy hey just run it the way it that it is and that it would be safe then i can see you having a problem with that

but once again i didnt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic