Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine Mount Lag Stripped....Quick Fix??

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
1969cc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1969cc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2008 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

my first post got deleted and i gave professional and a very safe method of fixing the problem he had as i always do,

Eric
That was the post I remembered, in fact when I came back to this posting to read it again and noticed that it was gone. I also thought that was a really good idea.
Fred
If you see light at the end of the tunnel you might be looking the wrong way

69 Mustang
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2008 at 10:19am
thank you, fred
"the things you own will start to own you"
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2008 at 11:17am
Eric, I wasn't implying that your methods were half assed. I was implying that mine are. In the case of my loose lag bolts, I'm not going to worry about it until I see or hear something that tells me it's time to get serious about it. That idea with the bushings would probably get me by for another 20 years.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2008 at 11:48am
So now the guys not very handy and you want him to machine a special piece to run through the rotted stringer. Good theroy if you had the tools to make the pieces for it to be applied in the practical world.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2008 at 11:57am
Red Green says "if the wimen don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy".
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2008 at 12:03pm
the other thing about that is the glass over the stringer has to be in good shape, because if it is cracked then it's just going to crack more and pull through.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2008 at 1:31pm
So we're basically back to Pete's first suggestion.

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

One of these bits and about a foot of threaded rod should be long enough to get through the bottom of the boat. To reduce the drag, try a acorn nut on the bottom.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2008 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

So we're basically back to Pete's first suggestion.

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

One of these bits and about a foot of threaded rod should be long enough to get through the bottom of the boat. To reduce the drag, try a acorn nut on the bottom.

almost, horizontal drilling instead of vertical drilling but again "keep it original" so to maintain originality drilling straight down into the hull is required.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2008 at 11:14pm
he could substitute the special machined bushing with a nut and washer in the cross drilled hole, upper end boats use this method to hold the engines in, in this case until he decides to repair the stringers, this is a very safe and effective repair.

this would mean he needs a drill and a crescent wrench
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2008 at 11:29pm
safe effective, bore a horz hole, in rotten wood then expect a nut and bolt to hold and your in the business, guess business of what? returned customers, repeat business, more expensive repairs, causing more expensive repairs for repeat business maybe would be best?

just do not see the logic and practicallity in this, so cripe some more,... I guess this is as tame as I can get.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2008 at 11:37pm
Chris, watch the OFF TOPICS section.....
I heard thru the grape vine there will be a show and tell ...........
Professional attention to detail or half fast.....
Pictures are worth a thousand words ..........
And I sign this Billy Sutton/The Boat Doctor
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2008 at 11:39pm
Well Billy just be carefull of the whiners.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2008 at 11:43pm
round 3
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2008 at 11:57pm
and for this very reason i too have pictures of every step and finished product, dealt with your types for many years
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2008 at 12:27am
You guys have got to give it a rest. All three of you know I like each one of you and will not take sides here but...this has gone on to long.

Let's beware of posting stuff that will only hurt another member on here.

Enough is enough.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2008 at 12:37am
John, I keep trying to take the high road and this is getting really embarrassing, but i have a feeling it aint the end
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2008 at 1:54am
Well, well, well....I am away on business for a few days, and come back to this. Its like the food fight scene from "Animal House".

As stated, or implied....I do not want to tear the floor and stringers out at this particular time. Of course I realize that this is the only sure-fire permanent fix. But, thats not what I was asking about. Not sure its even necessary. I personally think the stringers are still decent. Not perfect perhaps.... but decent and usable for a year or two, or five.

Once I get the time to do the fix on the lags, I will let you all know how it turns out. I am leaning toward the epoxy filler and new lags. I just want to hold the engine in place better than it may be held as is in the current state.

Thanks again for all the great ideas for a "short term fix". Its great to have a site like this to bounce ideas around.

Dave
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2008 at 4:17am
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Chris, watch the OFF TOPICS section.....
I heard thru the grape vine there will be a show and tell ...........
Professional attention to detail or half fast.....
Pictures are worth a thousand words ..........
And I sign this Billy Sutton/The Boat Doctor

This is childish and absolutely doesn't belong here. Handle personal things personally. Eric has helped many here and I will back him! Out of your own mouth to me..."Eric be the man!"

1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic