Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

440, 454, or 460?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
Bhedbloom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bhedbloom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 440, 454, or 460?
    Posted: March-24-2008 at 11:18pm
I wanted to get a weigh in on this one?

Which engine should I use to repower my 1968 San Juan? I'm pulling the tired

The Chrysler 440 which was an option in that boat?

The Crusader 454 which I have read is easy to get parts for?

The Ford 460 which I hear is very reliable like the 351 used for many years?

I would like some opinions from some of the engine gurus on the site!

I have found all of the engines above for sale at about the same price, but am having a tough time deciding which power plant to use. Thanks for any and all replies!
Barry, South Carolina
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2008 at 12:32am

I'm no engine guru but I would stay with the Mopar. Probably not the strongest engine but closest to stock.
                         Farmer
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2008 at 1:26am
what compnay do you like the best? But I guess I would go with the 454 first because there are more parts out there for it, and second choice would be the chrylser!

But Farmer does make a good point about sticking with the same brand!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2008 at 8:55am
440 - Original!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2008 at 9:57am
454, original would have to be a 318, the build sheet would still say 318 if though the 440 may of been an option

how much does originality affect these boat prices?
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2008 at 12:36pm
I was just looking at engines on marineengine.com and saw this listing for a pair of big block Chryslers. The seller is stating that when the 440 was stopped being made that they used the Ford 460. Have I missed something? Did they use the 460?

Chryslers on marineengine.com

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2008 at 1:21pm
There are actually more performance marine parts available for the 460 fords than for the windsors. Chrysler sounds expensive, chevy sounds like your doing what every one else is doing (of course sometimes everyone else has a point). Personally I would put in whatever I found the best deal on (including mounts, bell housing, accs etc that stuff will nickel and dime you up into big $$$) and put the rest into gas.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2008 at 3:10pm
All the internal go fast parts for the chrysler and intake stuff isnt really expensive at all. A good set of 915 casting heads and 9.0 to 1 ish compression with a good cam and intake maybe some ported manifolds or hi teks and it would be easy to get well over 400 ponies out of a 440:) but then again im a mopar nut and mopar boats get me all juiced up.

But, I agree with Joe all good choices but the best deal would probably be a good choice unless you have plenty of $$$.

You could just build a nasty little 340 and not have to change anything other than the engine. Probably the most cost effective route.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2008 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I was just looking at engines on marineengine.com and saw this listing for a pair of big block Chryslers. The seller is stating that when the 440 was stopped being made that they used the Ford 460. Have I missed something? Did they use the 460?

Chryslers on marineengine.com

I went back in to the marineengine.com site and looked in the manual section. The 460 block was bugging me!! Sure enough, they do list a Chrysler marine 460 in 1986 and 87 so I'll assume it was the Ford. I believe that those years were the very tail end of the Chrysler marine engine.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2008 at 4:59pm
I think your right on for the year pete. When my grandpa had his trailer sales back then right between those years I think 88 models motor homes were the last year with the chrysler 440.
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2008 at 9:45pm
I would build a 454 chevy make it a 468. Regular parts and performance parts for Chevy is much easier to find an less expensive too.
I am a Ford guy but in a case like this I would build a strong big block chevy.

Mike
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2008 at 10:58am
Don't listen to Mike, afterall he's a freak.
Listen to Joe, who'd rather paddle with a 460 valve cover than run it with a 454, and I agree. But Joe's actual advice I really do agree with as far as the going with the best price for the OVERALL/COMPLETE package.

Zup Tennessee Mike? Call me sometime.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2008 at 12:27pm
I (bowtie) am going (bowtie) to stay (bowtie) neutral on(bowtie) this one(bowtie). In the past(bowtie) I would have (bowtie) given you(bowtie) my opinion(bowtie),but really (bowtie) dont want to (bowtie) confuse the issue(bowtie).
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2008 at 12:41pm
Damn it. I just posted the reidp bowtie picture in another thread, this thread would is perfect for it but don't want to wear it out.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2008 at 1:22pm
Is it really worth it to replace the existing engine with a big block? How much additional performance are you going to get? How much is it going to cost? And how much are you going to run that boat hard? Seems like that boat is a nice putting boat or maybe cruising somewhere in the 20's type of boat. Maybe a rebuild of the 318 is a good way to go.

But, to answer your question, I'd go the least expensive way.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2008 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by 62 wood 62 wood wrote:

I (bowtie) am going (bowtie) to stay (bowtie) neutral on(bowtie) this one(bowtie). In the past(bowtie) I would have (bowtie) given you(bowtie) my opinion(bowtie),but really (bowtie) dont want to (bowtie) confuse the issue(bowtie).

LMAO!
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2008 at 1:59pm

Steve, does this mean that there is a Barracuda with a Chevy engine somewhere in the future?
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2008 at 2:53pm
Bruce,
Man, I'm torn....Ive got that brand new 350 Crusader engine/trans ,in my garage,still bolted to the original shipping crate,just waiting for a trans-plant. (Put it in and go forever)

BUT, even I am having a hard time with a non-original engine in that 'cuda. ..... Moj' found out that there were 6 or 7 SS models built that year. Soooo, what to do? (Pete should be proud, Im talking this way!?)
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2008 at 3:17pm
Steve, I don't think it matters if the engine is original, especially if you've got the original engine available for future use. I'm all for keeping the boat as original as possible, but I don't see engines mods as such a big deal. Is the Crusader a RH? And is it a Vortec? I've got a Vortec Indmar 310 in my 03 Malibu Sporster and it screams. Jeff Costis put a PCM Vortec in his 73 Mustang and screams. You got to do a lot or work on a Ford to make it run like one of those out of the box Vortecs.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2008 at 3:54pm
Yeah, its a complete Vortec 300 horse with a velvet behind...and it even runs "bacerds"..just like I need! Heres a pic..

64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2008 at 4:05pm
It runs bacerds? Then it's a no brainer, USE IT. I bet that boat will run 55 mph with that engine.

quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2008 at 4:26pm
Hey Steve,

How would you describe the color on that there engine, Ford Blue?

Trying to remember but I think the SBC in my 80' was gold, the 206 SBC is Black.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2008 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

You got to do a lot or work on a Ford to make it run like one of those out of the box Vortecs.

Not seeing this. Late model PCM GT40s run just fine with the Chevy's even though they rate 20 less horsepower. BKH
Livin' the Dream

nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2008 at 11:10pm
Reid,
How bout a stroker 351 ??? Light weight good torque ?   I will give you a call. I am currently in Minnesota (Forest Lake, Nisswa, Detroit lakes) and Fargo ND Makeing some rounds before season hits.

Mike
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2008 at 12:42am
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Hey Steve,

How would you describe the color on that there engine, Ford Blue?

Trying to remember but I think the SBC in my 80' was gold, the 206 SBC is Black.

Chris, I couldnt tell you... Ive never had a Ford to compare it with.. kinda baby/sky blue...for now. If I did use the Crusader in the cuda, would probably repaint it and use old style valve covers, etc.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2008 at 2:49am

There you go with those "urges" again. There is medication to help your problem.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2008 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

You got to do a lot or work on a Ford to make it run like one of those out of the box Vortecs.

Not seeing this. Late model PCM GT40s run just fine with the Chevy's even though they rate 20 less horsepower. BKH

I echo that Brian! I was previously thinking that Bruce really knew his stuff. I guess I'm gonna have to school him over a lobster and a beer or 20 at the NE Reunion. If only I was bringing a boat..........
ReidP
1973 Mustang

reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2008 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by nautique frk nautique frk wrote:

Reid,
How bout a stroker 351 ??? Light weight good torque ?   I will give you a call. I am currently in Minnesota (Forest Lake, Nisswa, Detroit lakes) and Fargo ND Makeing some rounds before season hits.

Mike

Mike, Great idea about that engine, but JoeNY already beat us to it. And BoatDr has the 302 stroker covered. So how about a stroked 460! Have fun in the great white north.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2008 at 9:56pm
Reid, I looked forward to being schooled over some bugs and a beer or 20. Come to think of it, Steve Workman ought to keep that Barracuda original and sell me the Crusader wicked cheap. Wouldn't the Boat Dr die if I walked right by his American Skier with that plain Jane Crusader.
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2008 at 12:26am

Reid, I looked forward to being schooled over some bugs and a beer or 20. Come to think of it, Steve Workman ought to keep that Barracuda original and sell me the Crusader wicked cheap. Wouldn't the Boat Dr die if I walked right by his American Skier with that plain Jane Crusader.

Bruce, I'll keep that in mind, but that Crusader probably aint goin nowhere..
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic