Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Strut, shaft and prop repair.. HELP

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
doubleup16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doubleup16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strut, shaft and prop repair.. HELP
    Posted: March-26-2008 at 9:15pm
So the short story is I was boating with my dad in the delta and he is a civil engineer looking to make improvements and he says lets go out into this bay. I think OK and proceed on at about 20 mph when suddenly we come to just about a complete stop! Look around to make sure everyone is still on-board and then try and asses the damage. Boat goes in drive and reverse no problem, good. Moves forward but is VERY shaky. My dad pipes up and says let me check my depth chart. I say you had a depth chart and didn't check it? He finds out it is ~3' and tidal so it was a little higher because it was high tide. Anyway we were able to limp back to the launch, roughly 10 miles, which I know was less than ideal but was our only option. The strut is bent to the right about 2". The prop is toast and the 3 front stablizer fins are GONE.

I am wondering if anyone knows a ballpark figure of what this might cost. Also anyone in the Sacramento area who can recommend a mechanic that knows our 2001s?

Here are some pics of the damage:

Fins are supposed to be attached here:(

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2008 at 9:34pm
16, Do you have insurance of the boat? You may have some structural issues at the strut mounting. A ball park $$ is going to be very hard. 5K to 10K??? How are your stringers?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doubleup16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2008 at 9:40pm
No, unfortunately I do not have insurance and this will be a pricey lesson to learn.

Stringer look to be very solid. I have not poked around at them but visually checked. This boat has been stored indoors up until last year when it was given to me.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2008 at 10:26pm
Wow, that's some serious damage, sorry to see that.

Makes a strong case for the screws on the fins instead of through bolts, you would have even more problems if they were bolted.

Do you have any inboard boat dealers in your area, don't have to be CC to work on it. Hope you're back on the water soon.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2008 at 10:29pm
I looked back at previous posts and found that your 2001 is a 84. I wanted to get a idea on the age before going on about stringers. Depending on how the boat has been treated, they may be ok but may not too! I mentioning the stringers because if you have a problem with them as well, the repairs to them and the bottom/running gears are going to add up. You are going to have to give this some thought but first you really need to check the stringers. Just looking at them or tapping them doesn't really tell. Turning bolts will give you a ideas of the tops but rot starts at the bottom where all the water sits. Drilling through the glass with a small hole saw near the bottom is really the only way I recommend. Had you done a alignment before the accident? Was it good?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doubleup16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2008 at 10:43pm
So you would suggest doing some exploring with the stringer first to make sure they are sound. "small hole saw" would equate to 1"? smaller-bigger. Once the glass is out of the way it will be obvious if they are strong. how many places would you check? How would I protect the areas that are now exposed if it all check out.

Thanks for your replies!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2008 at 10:56pm
16, Yes, a 1" dia. is about the correct size, Finding a easy spot to get to can be a problem! I've used a right angle head on a drill sometimes. Just in front of the engine and around the shaft log are spots. Epoxy resin and a couple layers of fiberglass tape over the inspection holes will seal them up.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
nautique frk View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique frk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2008 at 11:38pm
Send strut and other items to Murphys Propeller service in Norfolk Va. They can fix it all talk to Jeff 800 349 7767 He fixed a strut for me a while back it is good as new call him they will cover shipping for you.

Mike
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2008 at 12:59am
Noah, Don't let it worry you too much. The same thing happened to me about 6 years ago. Buddy driving boat as I was boarding behind. Got too close to the shore line and hit a stump. Same type of damage as yours but bent tracking fins stayed with the boat. The stump bent two of the three which I was able to straighten. Ordered a new strut and shaft for about $500.00 from SECC. No damage to prop other than a small ding which I was also able to straighten. Do some searching for shafts on this site or skidim and you might find it cheaper than I did. Might want to look into this Jeff guy that Mike suggested for your strut. I kept the old one that got damaged so might have to send it to him as well to have a spare or sell it here. I DID NOT have any damage to structure and boat has been running straight since with no problem. You can do the gelcoat repair yourself.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doubleup16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2008 at 3:52am
Thanks for the good words Morfoot.

Once I get the strut straightened, will it have to be aligned with the tranny?

Since the screws ripped out of there holes for the front fins, what can I do to fasten the new ones?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2008 at 7:33am
The strut gets aligned to the hole and the shaft log in the bottom of the boat and then the engine gets aligned to the shaft.

The holes for mounting the fins can be filled with a epoxy and then new pilot holes are drilled.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doubleup16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2008 at 4:40pm
8122, do you still think 5 to 10k? I know the alignment may take a while but those figures seem (to me) unrealistically high.What would make it cost 10k? Are you expecting stringer damage/repair?

Thanks for your input.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2008 at 4:58pm
5k-10k would not be unrealistic to get it back perfect paying someone to do the work, especially if your 10 miles back smoked the trans. Low side back to good enough figure fins 3 at 50 each, prop at 325, strut 230, shaft about 250-350 depending on what you want, epoxy, gelcote, etc 200. FYI those holes from the fins do go through the hull into the foam under the battery box/cooler area. If you get the parts from a local marina they could easily double...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2008 at 5:34pm
I think what Pete's getting at is if there is a stress fracture in the hull where the floor has to come out to repair it then 10K is not out of line.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2008 at 5:51pm
Noah, Both Joe and Chris confirmed my thoughts. I was trying to be very realistic with the price but also gave you a broad range of costs. Depending on unseen (trans and hull?)damage and who does the work, yes it may get very expensive. I did not include the stringers in the 5 to 10K cost. I mentioned them because if they are bad then in theory, the repairs to them and the recent damage may exceed the value of the boat.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic