NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Play in steering head

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Play in steering head
    Posted: March-30-2008 at 9:18pm
My steering head (if that's what it's called) has alot of play - at least 1/2" at wheel. I'm replacing the cable, as it is frozen. Is there any hope of repairing the head or will I need to buy a new one? Any leads on best source?

Got the transmission out today. Found 2 lock washers on the trans screws that were 'shattered' in pcs!   Looks like hydrogen embrittlement to me. 1 still has about half of it in 1 pc but has about 4 nasty cracks. Wonder how that happened. None-the-less will be putting in all new washers during reassembly.

Chris
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2008 at 10:04pm
The "steering head" proper name is HELM, your life and being there are no brakes I tend to replace these as a set, cable and helm assy.
Sorry for posting on your thread, just thought this was a very serious question............Boat dr
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2008 at 10:19pm
Thanks Boat Dr.

Nice to know the correct terms for my Correct Craft!

I'll call Mid West CC tomorrow.

Chris

Ben Franklin
Greg_SA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg_SA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 5:05pm
Are the one's at Skidim the same as OEM?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2008 at 11:18pm
Greg - I looked at SkiDIM site & their system is different than mine. It doesn't look like they sell the helm separately from the steering cable

(BTW - Boat Dr. - why isn't it called a helm cable or tiller cable?)

From this site I know that those generic cables won't work.

I did find where my helm play was coming from - the square socket joint is worn. I haven't called Mid West CC yet, got my hands full with the transmission out - waiting for a new damper plate.

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic