Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Replacing Exhaust Hoses

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
Author
kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2008 at 7:05pm
My boat had no back seat when I bought it.Now I know why.I would just like something to go by and I will build.I have a 74 also is why I asked you.If you could get pics of your front seats and bases I would really appriciate it as well.I am finishing up my stringer/floor replacement and I still may be able to take it out this year! I have not taken it out yet! The floors were pretty bad when I bought it!Thanks again,Kevin
kevinindy
74SkiNautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2008 at 8:01pm
Kevin, My rear seat is no were anything like the front. It is really nice. I did it all my self. It has storage under the butt cusion due to my engineering of it. i have a Vinyl back cusion which i used velcro to hold it in. Whats your email.
74SkiNautique
coltsphan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coltsphan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2008 at 10:28pm
Hye 74. I could use the same info for my 67 Mustang. Thanks! petebriggs@msn.com.
kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2008 at 10:33pm
74 thanks a lot! kevin719@comcast.net   I can build it but I am not creative enough to design it! Thanks again
kevinindy
kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2008 at 10:34pm
hey Pete do you have pics of your mustang here? Kevin
kevinindy
coltsphan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coltsphan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2008 at 10:40pm
Not yet. They haven't "approved" my diary. I do have some pics though. Who does your engine work?
kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2008 at 11:41pm
Pete I am a mechanic so I do my own.Ill tell you what even if you know nothing the guys here can help you with expert advice! I have spent the last 20 years working on construction equip with industrial engines so I have questions for these guys about the 351! Some of the threads here amazes me with the knowledge! I think some of these guys sleep with their boats or something.lol. Are you having engine probs? Kevin
kevinindy
coltsphan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coltsphan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2008 at 12:33am
Hey Kevin. The engine is completely disassembled. The guy I bought it from had torn it down to rebuild but sold the boat to me. He has everything well organized. I would like to get it back together by spring. What do you think? Thanks.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2008 at 4:56am
Hey guys, I'll try and take pictures of my back seat and pedistal on friday...what else you need? I love my seat design, its really nice. I have the pedistal sloped downward towards the back so the seat is reclined back just a tad. Its nice. If i can get the dimensions, anyone with a 2nd gen. hull can use it!
74SkiNautique
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2008 at 11:23am
well here's an option as i believe that the hulls are the same from 74-81 basicly and on the later years they add a rear seat and all it was is a pad for a backrest that snap to the boat and then a cushion that just sat on the floor and you can get these from Christine's upholestry. Now you won't have the storage but it's pretty easy to add.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2008 at 2:46pm
Yea. I can keep two ski ropes, Dock lines, A tool box, and a first aid kit.
74SkiNautique
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2008 at 2:59pm
Kevin719, You have a Southwind, 74SN has a Ski Nautique, big difference.   Your rear seat has a plywood base. 74SN's rear seat was just upholstered foam rubber.

The plywood base was 6" to 8" tall w/ 4" to 6" foam rubber on top, upholstered as one unit. With about 1 1/2" clearance on each side, (between seat and ski racks)

In the words of Rob Schnieder "You can do it!!!)

Al

coltsphan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coltsphan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2008 at 3:31pm
Hey Doc. Will those dimensions work on my 67 Mustang?
Also, would you consider a trade for my torn down 289 and some cash for your 302? Just a thought.
Thanks!
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2008 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by coltsphan coltsphan wrote:

Hey Doc. Will those dimensions work on my 67 Mustang?
Also, would you consider a trade for my torn down 289 and some cash for your 302? Just a thought.
Thanks!

those will not work a mustang is shorter and narrower than a SN. If you are going to do it yourself it's not that big of a deal, measure and have a cushioned pad made for the back rest then get some snaps or make it a hard back and screw it to the existing pannel, for the bottom just make a retangular frame out 2x4's maybe 2x6's but that might be a little high once you add the foam, but just box it around the edges of the boat add a center cross support and a 5/8" plywood panel for the top that can be hinged and upholsetred and call it a day.
kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2008 at 6:34pm
Is there supposed to be a piece of ply lag-screwed to the back first?To hide the tank and blower hoses? I did not remove one but there is 3 lag bolts screwed into the glass up top?
kevinindy
kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2008 at 6:44pm
hey coltsphan If the previous owner tore down your engine I am thinking that there is a problem! If you have a 302 and are looking to upgrade there is a 351 complete for sale in the boat parts for sale for 500.That would be the cheapest way back on the water! What do your cylinders/pistons look like? I am guessing that new bearings and seal kit would be a couple hundred of dollars.Machine work and oversized pistons and valves and head work would easily put you over the 500.I have no problems with helping you if you want but I always look for the cheapest and easiest route! The 351 and 302 are the same block so you can use your tranny.Let me know
kevinindy
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2008 at 7:06pm
If your boat came with a 289/302 that is all that will fit under the engine box.
Kevin you are incorrect as to the 351 and 302 blocks being the same. Bellhousings will interchange, but the deck height on the 351 is taller, in turn the intake is wider so the manifolds are about 3" wider than a 302...............Boat dr

FYI..     351 intakes and distr. are different from their 302 cousins........The heads are close, 351 uses larger head bolts,1/2 " but the exhaust manifolds are the same......
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2008 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by kevin719 kevin719 wrote:

Is there supposed to be a piece of ply lag-screwed to the back first?To hide the tank and blower hoses? I did not remove one but there is 3 lag bolts screwed into the glass up top?

My 79 SN had a fiberglass panel screwed in behind the seat, but they weren't lags. My 88 has a 3-piece slip in back...no screws. It was mostly for looks in the older boat and is mostly a sound barrier in the 88 as well as support for the seat back.

I haven't seen a SW taken apart, but I'd bet something should be there; you'd probably get a hollow racket otherwise.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2008 at 7:18pm
Thanks for correcting me dr.! Learn something new every day!I was thinking that the windsor was the same block as the 289/302. Damn these guys are good! Anyway check your parts and post pics here.These guys will know the best route to take with your engine. Maybe someone here has rebuilt one and has a good price list.
kevinindy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2008 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

Kevin719, You have a Southwind, 74SN has a Ski Nautique, big difference.   Your rear seat has a plywood base. 74SN's rear seat was just upholstered foam rubber.

The plywood base was 6" to 8" tall w/ 4" to 6" foam rubber on top, upholstered as one unit. With about 1 1/2" clearance on each side, (between seat and ski racks)

In the words of Rob Schnieder "You can do it!!!)

Al

I have a plywood pedistal.
74SkiNautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2008 at 7:52pm
I love how all this has nothing to do with exhaust hoses....hahahaha   I am making a new topic on rear seats!
74SkiNautique
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2008 at 7:58pm
Kevin, 260,289,302,351 are all considered Windsor class engines,but there are some common parts and there are parts unique to their Cubic Inch designation.
You also understand about left and right hand rotation, and the specialized parts that go with a reverse rotation motor.
Hang around and you will be in the same boat as the rest of us, Dazed And Confused..................Boat dr
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2008 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Hang around and you will be in the same boat as the rest of us, Dazed And Confused..................Boat dr

Ha! I got past dazed and am only confused now?!!?   LOL
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2008 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by 74SkiNautique 74SkiNautique wrote:

I have a plywood pedistal.

Then you may have had a ply back. Sorry to mistake your boat, but the info is still valid.
1988 BFN-sold

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2008 at 8:56pm
YEa it is...My seat is totally custom...
74SkiNautique
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2008 at 9:32pm
Kevin719,   Your exhaust h..... whoops ,sorry.
Your back rest for your rear seat was upholstered plywood with 3 keyhole shaped holes in the back, they just clipped down over the lags. No need for a separate tank cover plate.

coltsphan, Dont really need any 289 stuff, I do like cash though. And your rear seat was originally a one piece fiberglass w/ cushions.

BoatDr pretty much covered the whole FoMoCo thing

I might add, 260/289 bellhousing will not fit a 302

74SN, Excellent thread! Ya get those hoses off yet?

kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2008 at 10:37pm
Yeah besides ouir companies rangers(about200 or so) the only Fords that I work with are the industrial 300's that are on some of the older rigs.Damn those engines run good!So the panel to cover the tank will be tricky to cut with the shelves or I think that they are called gunnels?Correct? Or does the panel get cut at the edge of them? I guess it will be covered up by the rear seat anyway?And Dr. thanks again for the info.Yeah I know that most of these engines rotate backwards and the specialty marine parts,I just didnt know about interchanging the small blocks. That would be great if he could do it! Did anyone see my thread about rebuilding my 4160?I just wondered if there is any pointers out there since I have not rebuilt a carb in years.(well not a 4 barrell) It would be nice to convert this to f.i.!
kevinindy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74SkiNautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2008 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

Kevin719,   Your exhaust h..... whoops ,sorry.
Your back rest for your rear seat was upholstered plywood with 3 keyhole shaped holes in the back, they just clipped down over the lags. No need for a separate tank cover plate.

coltsphan, Dont really need any 289 stuff, I do like cash though. And your rear seat was originally a one piece fiberglass w/ cushions.

BoatDr pretty much covered the whole FoMoCo thing

74SN, Excellent thread! Ya get those hoses off yet?

No, I am working with my dad on that tomorrow. I also have to replace the filler neck hose on the gas tank.
74SkiNautique
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2008 at 11:03pm
[

Wrong, the 260/289 with 5 bolt mounting pattern will not fit , but the later style 6 bolt housing will 289/302/351. There are not many of the "OLD STYLE " blocks left to cloud this isssue.
If it has two bolts on the top it will fit if only on in the top center, it is indeed and OLD STYLE and will not........Boat dr

[/QUOTE]

No, I am working with my dad on that tomorrow. I also have to replace the filler neck hose on the gas tank. [/QUOTE]
kevin719 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin719 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2008 at 11:52pm
Sorry back to the hose.My wife is 8 1/2 mo. pregnant and cant help me get the hose off any advise?lol utility knife seems a little harsh!!
kevinindy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234>
  Share Topic