NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1965 289 ford

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ethyl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ethyl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1965 289 ford
    Posted: May-17-2008 at 12:25am
My '65 Amer. Skier has a 289 Interceptor. I replaced the points, condenser, plugs wires and thought I needed to adjust the valve lash. I did so using several different methods as per this site and Ford sites. When the lash was zero at TDC and when the exhaust valve was coming up/ intake valve almost down plus 1/2 turn methods were used I had no compression when the engine was turned over. It was as if all the spark plugs were removed. So I placed each cylinder at TDC and adjusted to .11" clearance. This gave me compression but the old girl was backfiring so I switched the plug wires 180 with no response. The engine ran at partial throttle before I messed with it but did not want to idle. Before I messed with the valve lash there was considerable lash at TDC. Please help me! Thanks, John.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2008 at 1:02am
What firing order are you using?
Tim D
ethyl View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ethyl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2008 at 1:58am
Tim, good question. After I posted, I went back out to the boat and replaced the plug wires as they were before which gives a firing order of 1275648 and she fired right up and ran well. This is with .11 clearance at TDC. All the books show a firing order of 15426378. I am confused. Do you think this engine may have solid lifters? Thanks, John.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-18-2008 at 11:37am
It should have solid lifters, unless the cam has been changed.
Tim D
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2008 at 4:23pm
My 289 is a '65 vintage as well with a solid lifter and cam set-up. Woody at CC instructed me to set valve lash at 20 thousandths after warm-up.
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic