Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

breakerless ignition / ballast resistor

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tapenick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapenick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: breakerless ignition / ballast resistor
    Posted: May-19-2008 at 12:13am
Investigating a problem on my 90 SN and found that the top of the rotor looked toasted and I think the end was burned off. Prestolite screw down - the rotor should have a 'T' on the end, right?

Plus, the contacts inside the cap looked like they had some metal smeared on them.

The boat has a breakerless ignition module.

The power wire to the module bypasses the ballast resistor... so does the + to the coil. Wondering if the coil is getting too much power causing it to fry the cap / rotor? Thinking the power to the coil should still go through the ballast resistor?

One more - if so, think there may have been any damage to the coil?

Okay, one more easy one - the dizzy cap gasket is shot.... could I put a little silicon under it if the new cap doesn't have a gasket?

Tom
tapenick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapenick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2008 at 1:07pm
Correction - that rotor should not have a 'T' on the end... but it still appears to have been getting pretty hot.   Looks cooked where the coil wire comes in and as I said earlier the contacts inside the cap appear to have melted metal smeared on them.

Anyone know the part numbers for that cap / rotor?   
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2008 at 3:59pm
Tapenick, can you post some pics of the rotor, cap and top of coil? The tip of the rotor and the cap contacts will erode slowly from arcing that goes on as the engine is running. This is normal and over time it will start to look a little like molted metal. So the question is.....how bad is yours and how long has it been in your boat? As for the resistor......that question has been answered many time on this site. Do a search for "resistor" or "ballast resistor" and you'll get your answer.
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
tapenick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapenick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2008 at 5:08pm
That link in my first post was my actual dizzy.   Did a search before-hand but didn't come up with anything on the setup in mine (think it's a Prestolite)... mostly Pertronix.

Talked to Richard over at SKIDIM this morning, he assured me that it was okay for the ballast resistor to be bypassed.   He also said that the screw down caps do not need a gasket.

Described my problem to him and he seemed to think my base timing was off a little or possibly the air gap on the ignition module. I'll check that ASAP and post back.

Tom
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2008 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by tapenick tapenick wrote:

That link in my first post was my actual dizzy.   

Your link is not working.

If the EI kit has purple and black wires, its a Prestolite. If it has red and black wires, its a Pertronix.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2008 at 12:27am
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2008 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by tapenick tapenick wrote:

That link in my first post was my actual dizzy.   Did a search before-hand but didn't come up with anything on the setup in mine (think it's a Prestolite)... mostly Pertronix.

Talked to Richard over at SKIDIM this morning, he assured me that it was okay for the ballast resistor to be bypassed.   He also said that the screw down caps do not need a gasket.

Described my problem to him and he seemed to think my base timing was off a little or possibly the air gap on the ignition module. I'll check that ASAP and post back.

Tom

It may be the glare of the pic but that rotor looks really old. I'd change it and the cap and plugs and maybe even the wires. Then check your timing as advised above. After running it for several hours, pull the cap and check it for anything abnormal looking.

95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
tapenick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapenick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2008 at 1:12am
Originally posted by nuttyskier2002 nuttyskier2002 wrote:

It may be the glare of the pic but that rotor looks really old. I'd change it and the cap and plugs and maybe even the wires. Then check your timing as advised above. After running it for several hours, pull the cap and check it for anything abnormal looking.

The problem I mentioned in the first post of this thread is a rough idle condition.   When I go to gear it tends to stumble and I have to pump the throttle to keep it going.   

Here are the items I've checked so far:

checked timing - okay   (as far as I can tell, not sure of the exact idle rpm.   it's 10 degrees BTC whatever rpm it's at (more below))

air gap on the ignition module seemed too close.   actually looks like it may have been rubbing.   loosened the adjustment screw and set at 0.008. (skidim recomendation)

sprayed carb cleaner around the intake / carb base looking for vac leaks, nothing.

checked idle / air - only out 1/2 turn.   opened another 1/2 turn (both sides) and the idle smoothed out significantly.   still seems like it's idling rough.   

plugs / wires look relatively new, pulled #1 plug and it looked okay and was gapped around 0.038.   tach doesn't work right, when I rev it to what I'm thinking is around 3k rpms it moves up to maybe 1k rpms.   wondering if it's related... any ideas?

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2008 at 11:39am
doesn't sound like the idle mixture screws are adjusted correctly get a vacuum gauge and set the screws so that it reads max vacuum on the gauge, meaning highest it will go, not highest marking on the gauge. Seems like it really lean have you lloked that the accel pump's operation? and made sure it is squirting gas the complete stroke?
tapenick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapenick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2008 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

doesn't sound like the idle mixture screws are adjusted correctly get a vacuum gauge and set the screws so that it reads max vacuum on the gauge, meaning highest it will go, not highest marking on the gauge. Seems like it really lean have you lloked that the accel pump's operation? and made sure it is squirting gas the complete stroke?

These sound like great suggestions -

Where should the vac gauge be connected?   

Not exactly sure how to check what you're asking on the acc pump... pop the breather, work the throttle, and verify the carb is squirting all the way?

Looks like a new carb... has some sort of gold colored coating on it.   I did find a vac outlet just under the mouth of the carb that was sealed off.    Made me wonder if it was an automotive carb.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2008 at 11:47am
can you post a picture of the vacuum port?

yes on moving the throttle while looking thru the primary side (front ports) look for a stream of gas to squirt as the throttle is being moved and it should start almost immediately as soon as you move the throttle, just undo the spring load connector on the end of the cable and move it by hand.

If you have the spacer plate under the carb use that port that goes to the PCV.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2008 at 12:00pm
You should also be setting the idle mixture screws with the engine warm and idling in gear. So this obviously needs to be done on the water. Numerous off idle stumbles have been fixed by setting the idle mixture just as 79 states but in gear and idling. You may have to readjust the idle RPM and then I would recheck the timing lastly just to make sure everything is spot on.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
tapenick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapenick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2008 at 1:18am
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

can you post a picture of the vacuum port?

Sorry this has taken so long, but the page linked below has pics of the carb.   Marine carb?

Sport Nautique Pics
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2008 at 12:10pm
That is a marine carb. I don't recall right off hand for sure about the functionality of the port that is taped off, but it's supposed to be there and it's supposed to be open. Take that tape off. Maybe somebody else can chime in on what it's for.

The vacuum port that you want to hook up the vacuum gage to is the PCV port at the back of the carb. The PCV valve is plumbed in from the port side valve cover to the back side of the carb adapter. Photo 12 is a good shot of the PCV hose.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2008 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

That is a marine carb. I don't recall right off hand for sure about the functionality of the port that is taped off, but it's supposed to be there and it's supposed to be open. Take that tape off. Maybe somebody else can chime in on what it's for.

The vacuum port that you want to hook up the vacuum gage to is the PCV port at the back of the carb. The PCV valve is plumbed in from the port side valve cover to the back side of the carb adapter. Photo 12 is a good shot of the PCV hose.

Eddie, I don't believe there's even vacuum at that top port, thats where my clear plastic overflow hose from the fuel pump hooks up to.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2008 at 12:25pm
I dont believe that the fitting thats taped off is a true vaccuum port. Ive only seen it used to attach the 1/4" overflow line coming from the fuel pump. If not in use, Id keep it taped up (mine has a rubber cap), but it probably doesnt matter much.

It doesnt look like a new carb to me- it looks like the original marine unit that someone painted or recoated with that orangy-gold stuff. I cant tell from the pics so I dont know if your carb has one, but only a newer Holley (within the last few years) will have a vaccum port on it- the one on my '90 doesnt have one. The port would be on the baseplate of the carb on the starboard side, aft of the choke housing. The vaccuum port that Eddie's talking about is on the rear of the 1" intake spacer.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2008 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

Eddie, I don't believe there's even vacuum at that top port, thats where my clear plastic overflow hose from the fuel pump hooks up to.

See I knew someone would know better than me. Thanks for the clarification Alan and Tim. I know that my fuel pump overflow tube attaches to a fitting on the flame arrestor so I wasn't thinking of that scenario. Then I would agree to keep it taped off.

I thought that there was a thread some time ago about a small vent or opening with a fine screen on it in that area of the carb that was supposed to stay open? I was thinking of that opening but I couldn't find that thread anywhere.

Guess I gotta re-read my Holley book again!!!

Eddie
tapenick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapenick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-30-2008 at 12:05am
Update - I still haven't put a vac gauge on it but I dinked with the mix some more and changed the plugs and now she's idling nicely.   I had ruled out the plugs due to the one I pulled looking good and the fact that it had new wires.   But I had a couple with fuel on them and a couple more that looked really bad.   

Thanks for the help verifying the carb was indeed for marine application and what to do with the vac port.

Tom
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic