Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

BI Boom and Fly High Pole

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
lfskizzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfskizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BI Boom and Fly High Pole
    Posted: June-01-2008 at 11:26pm
Well I have tried searching for peoples past experience with these items. I have an 1985 Ski Nautique 2001 series. I bought a microphone adapter to change the top of the pylon so I could put the Fly High pole on when I wanted.

Now I have been talking to my brother and we want to try to put a Boom on the boat for us to go barefooting hopefully and to teach some nephews to ski.

So my dilema is the older dog house as people say(Motor Box) near the pylon has a slight indent around the pylon not like the late 70's which were even further then the 82-89's. So how far down can i put the bracket for the boom to be safe and which boom should i choose the contour or straight with hieght adjuster. I measured to the bottom of where the Fly high comes down to and its 12inches above the floor, but any lower then 8 inches i think the bracket will stop the motor box from being able to open.

Let me know what you guys think and if you need more details.

-Phil
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2008 at 1:12pm
The 2001 style motorbox is pretty tight to the pylon, but you should be able to mount the boom clamp low enough to get the Fly High on above it.

Theres no safety issue with mounting the clamp low- it actually will give you a higher boom, which is good for learning new stuff on the 5' line. It can make it a little difficult to get the boom low enough for a young skier, if using a straight boom though. For that reason, Id suggest either a straight boom with a height adjuster, or a "straight contour" boom. Adding a height adjuster isnt a bad idea in either case.

Id go with the "straight contour" over the "universal contour" because it only bends down, and not back. You want to get the boom as far forward on these boats as you can, which will keep you away from the spray. An extension (or both) would help this as well.
88 Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88 Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2008 at 2:12pm
While we're on the subject, is there any problem tieing of the Fly High to the front lift ring instead of the bow strap? A guy I work with says this is how he does it and he says he has no problems.
Thanks
Kurt
lfskizzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfskizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2008 at 2:46pm
Tim thanks for the thoughts I think I am going to try the straight contour with height adjuster and an extension to get out of the spray more. Let me know if you think thats good idea.

Kurt they do not recommend using the lift ring because it could bend the rod under the bow and fracture or create spider cracks near the ring from stress.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2008 at 3:00pm
Phil, my guess is that will be the ideal set up for you. I have a straight boom with the aforementioned pieces (minus the extension), and with the clamp mounted low enough for the Fly High and the boom on the top hole of the height adjuster, its very close to the right height for a small skier... but being able to get it a little lower would be nice.

Kurt, the PO's of my boat used the lifting ring to attach the Fly High, and I dont have any gel damage to speak of. The ring may be *slightly* bent towards the back, but youd have to look pretty hard to see it. I think a lot of people use it without any problems, and it sure is more conveneint. That being said, I choose to attach it with the strap to the front bow eye for the reasons mentioned above.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2008 at 3:56pm
For a 2001 you should go with a straight boom and definitely get the extension. You will not however be able to mount the clamp low enough to put a EXT pylon over that. It's not that big of a deal to take the clamp on and off though, we've been doing it for years.
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2008 at 5:57pm
HW,

I have to disagree with you on this one.
I have a straight boom and a fly high pole. I never have to remove the clamp. I have a clamp with hight adjustment and it is low enough to have the extended pole above it.

- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2008 at 6:18pm
Kristoff, HW should have said 82-88 2001's, as the 89's got the newer motorbox to fit over the Invertaflow muffler. I have a ton more clearance on my '90 than Brad's '86, for example.

HW is right that the box is painfully close to the pylon on the pre-89 boats. I havent experimented with how far down the clamp can be mounted, but thats something that should be taken into account when rigging everything up.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2008 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by 88 Nautique 88 Nautique wrote:

While we're on the subject, is there any problem tieing of the Fly High to the front lift ring instead of the bow strap? A guy I work with says this is how he does it and he says he has no problems.
Thanks
Kurt

My 83 has always been run to the lifting eye as well, a stress crack is possible but not much more so than when tying the boat up using the lifting ring, bending is not likely. I have had 6'3" 270lb guys pull pretty hard with no issues. If you have a strap it certainly doesnt hurt to use it though.

Now whats all this talk of extensions and changing height and what not on these here boom thingys, should I be expecting major spray on my 83 and be looking to abate it? I have a tower that extends back a about 5 inches beyond the windshield am I going to find this forces me to angle the straight boom back too far?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2008 at 11:24pm
Joe, angle it forward that will get you ahead of the spray. Our boom rests where the vinyl is in Kristof's pic, but I think I'm going to move it a bit back, on the very front of the "angle" there just behind the combing pad. It's not 90 degrees off the side, but we mostly have a handle on there anyways.
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2008 at 9:28am
Phil,
Could this help you out?
Tachyon Super Deluxe Boom Mount

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Kristoff, HW should have said 82-88 2001's, as the 89's got the newer motorbox to fit over the Invertaflow muffler. I have a ton more clearance on my '90 than Brad's '86, for example.

Oops Tim, thanks for the info. And so I learn new things every day
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

lfskizzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfskizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2008 at 10:13am
I have thought of that but I run into the same issue mounting both at the same time. I think I am going to do straight boom and see how low i can get the bracket with height adjuster. Then put the Fly High pole on and see if everything works.

Thanks
-Phil
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-03-2008 at 8:16pm
I forgot to mention I think having only ~1' of pylon in the extension is not safe Kristof. That looks to be only about half as far down as most extended pylons are supposed to be mounted.
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2008 at 6:50am
Hollywood,

I think you're right. Untill now the PO nor I have had problems with the pylon. But first time I used it, I had the same thoughts about it as you.

But, it won't be an issue anymore, because yesterday, my tower has been delivered...

I took this picture from the net, but I'll post pics as soon as I'll have mounted it on my boat.
This tower can be found here.
To me, this tower fits quite good on an older style nautique as mine, because it's kinda basic, if you know what I mean...

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2008 at 11:38am
Well, you certainly can't beat a tower with

"Scharnierende houders
Buizen met een diameter van 2"
Past op alle boten met een breedte van 76"-108" and
Telescopische top."

I've looked all over for a tower with Scharnierende houders and just can't seem to find one.
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2008 at 2:50pm
ROFLOL and ROFLOL Larry...!!!

Translation for you:

"Pivoting brackets
Tubes with diameter of 2"
Fits all boats with a width from 76"-108" and
telescopic top."

That is if the pictures weren't clear enough LOL

Sure hope your search for scharnierende houders will be a bit more succesfull now

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-04-2008 at 3:51pm
Oops. My mistake. I thought these might have been scharnierende houders.

Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2008 at 6:18am
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Oops. My mistake. I thought these might have been scharnierende houders.

Well Larry, I'll take those scharnierende houders anytime over the ones on my tower LOL

behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2008 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by lfskizzer lfskizzer wrote:

Well I have tried searching for peoples past experience with these items. I have an 1985 Ski Nautique 2001 series. I bought a microphone adapter to change the top of the pylon so I could put the Fly High pole on when I wanted.

Now I have been talking to my brother and we want to try to put a Boom on the boat for us to go barefooting hopefully and to teach some nephews to ski.

So my dilema is the older dog house as people say(Motor Box) near the pylon has a slight indent around the pylon not like the late 70's which were even further then the 82-89's. So how far down can i put the bracket for the boom to be safe and which boom should i choose the contour or straight with hieght adjuster. I measured to the bottom of where the Fly high comes down to and its 12inches above the floor, but any lower then 8 inches i think the bracket will stop the motor box from being able to open.

Let me know what you guys think and if you need more details.

-Phil

On my '86 I have a B202, which is the contour boom. The contour boom lets you mount it on the driver side. You have to be careful when lifting the motor cover or you can have a machine shop cut a 30 degree angle on the clamp so it fits good. To get out of the spray all you need is an extension. The contour boom also lets you mount the boom lower on the pylon, which is ideal if you have a pole. Using your lifting eye for the skylon is not a good idea because the lifting eye was meant to lift straight up and will crack your gel coat if you use it pulling backwards.

Tim

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2008 at 4:09pm
This is what the BI clamp looked like after I machined it down:

88 Nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 88 Nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2008 at 4:14pm
Originally posted by behindpropeller behindpropeller wrote:

Using your lifting eye for the skylon is not a good idea because the lifting eye was meant to lift straight up and will crack your gel coat if you use it pulling backwards.

Does anyone have any first hand experience of gel cracks or lift eye rod bending from doing this? I agree that you should use the strap but I would just like to know if it has caused damage. The guy I work with says he has not had any problems, but that's just one guy.
Thanks
Kurt
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2008 at 4:17pm
Friends 87 had cracks. Lots of time on it (200+hours/summer). This is the same boat that had the floor seperate from the side and crack the gel along the floor seam on the outside due to lots of weight.

Tim

lfskizzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfskizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2008 at 4:52pm
Well guys I ended up with the B200 straight boom. I got a heck of a deal on a fairly lightly used one. I heard it was manufactured in 2003 and I got it for $200. I will plan on taking th bracket off when I want to use the fly high pole. I am purchasing some accessories for it like height adjuster, boom extension, handle adapter for kids, and a boom bag.

What do you all think about that.

Thanks again.
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2008 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by lfskizzer lfskizzer wrote:

What do you all think about that.

That'll work. Good deal on the boom. expensive accessories. Use a bow strap for the fly high.
Those are my thoughts..
-Brad
lfskizzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfskizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-05-2008 at 7:19pm
Yeah i know the accessories are expensive. My fly high pole has the strap and I plan on using it.

I usally go on Candlewood here in CT but looking for calmer waters any ideas?
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2008 at 2:03am
Like your hooters Larry..I mean houders.

Sure is a good thing we got Kristof on here to translate for us.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2008 at 1:43pm
We use the lifting eye and don't have any major cracks. There may be a few spiders but can't say that's because of the skylon. I do plan on removing the eye and placing a nylon/plastic bushing between the deck and eye one of these years. Will probably use the same material as the tower feet bushings.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic