NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lake George NY

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lake George NY
    Posted: July-16-2008 at 6:52pm
Just some stolen Wikipedia info about Lake George, Site of the next Great CCFan Reunion. Lake George is truly a world class lake, and being fairly narrow and running north to south between mountains it offers reasonably good skiing for a lake its size. 14 Boats signed up so far, huge sponsor involvement and a great time of year to be in the Adirondack Park, what more could you ask for?   Plan now and make it happen.

Lake George, nicknamed the Queen of American Lakes,[1] is a long, narrow lake at the southeast base of the Adirondack Mountains, northern New York, U.S. The lake extends about 32.2 miles (54 km) on a north-south axis and varies from 1 to 3 miles (1.7 to 5 km) in width.

Lake George drains into Lake Champlain to its north through a short stream (La Chute River) with many falls and rapids, dropping about 230 feet (70 meters) in its 3½-mile (6 km)
course. Ultimately the water flows into the St. Lawrence River and then into the Atlantic Ocean

Lake George is located in the Adirondack Park and mountain range. Notable landforms include Anthony's Nose, Deer's Leap, Roger's Rock, the Indian Kettles, Diver's Rock (a 15ft jump into the lake), and Double-Diver's (a 30ft jump). Some of the mountains include Tongue Mountain, Sugarloaf Mountain, Prospect Mountain, Shelving Rock, Pilot Knob, and Black Mountain. Some of the more famous bays are Silver Bay, Kattskill Bay, Northwest Bay, Basin Bay and Oneida Bay. The lake is distinguished by "The Narrows," an island-filled narrow section (approximately five miles long) that is bordered on the west by Tongue Mountain and the east by Black Mountain. In all, Lake George is home to approximately 165 islands, most of them state owned. They range from the car-sized Skipper's Jib to larger Vicar's and Long Island. Camping permits are attainable for the larger portion of islands.

The Village of Lake George is located at the south end of Lake George and the unincorporated village of Ticonderoga is at the northern end. The area is a well-known resort center and summer colony.

There are several towns and villages on the shore of the lake. The southern most, Lake George village, is especially popular with tourists

Lake George was one of the nation's first elite tourist destinations. Conveniently situated on the rail line halfway between New York City and Montreal, the lake became a magnet for the era's rich and famous by the late 19th and early 20th century.

Tourists from all over North America and Europe flocked to Lake George and the surrounding majestic Adirondack Mountains. By the turn of the 19th century, Lake George was equaled only by Newport, Bar Harbor, Maine, Saratoga and the Hamptons as a summer enclave for America's aristocracy. Members of the Roosevelt, van Rensselaer, Vanderbilt, Rockefeller and Whitney families visited its shores.

On May 31, 1791, Thomas Jefferson wrote in a letter to his daughter, "Lake George is without comparison, the most beautiful water I ever saw; formed by a contour of mountains into a basin... finely interspersed with islands, its water limpid as crystal, and the mountain sides covered with rich groves... down to the water-edge: here and there precipices of rock to checker the scene and save it from monotony."
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2008 at 1:22am
...and I was planning to go even before I read this. Good info Joe. Sounds like a "historic" party to me. I'm not sure if I can haul a boat up for this one, but we're definitely in, so I'd better register. Lots of boats in this area so they need to sign up. This could be big!
ReidP
1973 Mustang

lfskizzer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfskizzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2008 at 11:28pm
Hey everyone,

The family and I enjoyed our week on the lake this week. We lucked out with the weather one day of heavy wind in the morning which created some rough water but we were out at 6am every morning. Once we get home I will get some photos up from our trip. Adirondack Marine has best customer service and they are very excited for this event. One of the mornings my brother and I went barefooting off the boom. I have tried 3 times total so far but longest run for me has been 30 seconds or something. My brother is pretty decent at getting up.
Well my reservation is all set for the weekend of the 12th with the place I stay usually during the week we come every year.
So sign up for this great event there are some great plans from what I have heard.
-Phil
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2008 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

... I'm not sure if I can haul a boat up for this one

We like the boats, we love the boat people... anyone on the fence but without the time to make it with boat, just get there...

Those at Green Lake know I came without a boat, I didn't miss it. Between the promo boat and the great CCFans I spent the whole time on the water and got to experience a lot of great boats I would otherwise never have driving, riden in, or been pulled behind.     
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2008 at 8:12pm

Rewriting history (just a little)

Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Tourists from all over North America and Europe flocked to Lake George and the surrounding majestic Adirondack Mountains for the 2008 Correct Craft Fan Reunion. By the turn of the 21st century, Lake George was equaled only by Newport, Bar Harbor, Maine, Saratoga and the Hamptons as a summer enclave for America's aristocracy. Members of the Roosevelt, van Rensselaer, Vanderbilt, Rockefeller, Pinkham, Berry, Hall, Sutton, Erens, Arrighi and Whitney families visited its shores.

Charlie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-24-2008 at 12:25am
I'm keepin my fingers crossed but I'm hoping to make this event with my step son. I should know in a few weeks.

Charlie
87 Ski Nautique 2001
East Herkimer, NY
Piseco, NY
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2008 at 12:40am
Might be able to stop in for a day. What do you guys do on Friday?

Tim

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic