NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Barefoot suits

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Barefoot suits
    Posted: October-20-2008 at 3:08pm
Anyone have an opinion on this suit? Any other suggestions?

https://2695104657.monstercommercesites.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1178
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-20-2008 at 3:48pm
Bruce,

Eagle makes good suits. You may need to get a pair of padded shorts also with that particular suit, the 13mm Butt padding is what I have and without shorts underneath it can be a little uncomfortable on the butt glide.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2008 at 12:45am
Would it be better just to buy a better suit with more padding or do you need shorts anyway?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2008 at 9:45am
Bruce,
What made you think about a barefoot suit? Don't tell me you've been footing like the guy in this thread!! youtube vid in this thread

Christmas presents for the boys?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2008 at 11:27am
You need the shorts anyway. They make for a much easier glide and are definitely required on LL deeps. I purchased the cheapest Eagle barefoot suit back in 2003 and it's held up very well after a good amount of use. I'd have no reservations about buying that suit.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2008 at 3:37pm
Bruce, that suit would be great for the boys. I dont agree that the shorts would be necessary though- the suits I had growing up werent the thickest and Ive been doing LL deeps since I was 12. Theyre nice to have for sure, but I got my first pair last year.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-21-2008 at 7:16pm
Thanks for the info guys. David asked me to post about that suit.

Pete, not me. My boys have each had a taste of barefooting at the past 2 reunions and want to learn it. I'd much rather be a footer than a slalom skier, but at 51 and with a herniated disc in my neck, I'm going to pass on the face plants.
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2008 at 12:04am
Bruce, that looks like a nice suit and is reasonably priced. Eagle makes a great suit.
-Brad
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2008 at 12:27am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Bruce, that suit would be great for the boys. I dont agree that the shorts would be necessary though- the suits I had growing up werent the thickest and Ive been doing LL deeps since I was 12. Theyre nice to have for sure, but I got my first pair last year.

OK, they aren't required, but they sure make the process a lot easier and more pleasant.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2008 at 3:04am
All I know about suits is you get what you pay for. Eagle has been around for a while and I know a lot of guys that have them. Barefoot International makes a bulletproof suit. Costs more (100.00 more) but they will last a long, long time.

I agree on the shorts underneath the suit, no matter what suit you buy. Check Ebay, and Craigs List for suits, new and used. Especially for the youngsters since they grow out of them.

Happy Footing!
Got Foot?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2008 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

OK, they aren't required, but they sure make the process a lot easier and more pleasant.

I promise, I didnt miss the shorts until the very last season I used my old BARE (which wasnt overly thick to begin with) and I was in my mid-20's. Bruce's boys are younger and still bulletproof!

Bruce, Ive got a few of my older suits that might fit the bill if you dont want to buy new. I think I have a S and a M-T.

If you go new, you cant go wrong with Eagle. Nearly everyone I foot with has one.
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2008 at 1:08pm
I have a 20 year old Eagle that is still going strong, only problem is it has shrunk a few sizes and now Dana uses it.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2008 at 2:26pm
Isnt that the truth Alan, just about everything I bought 10 years ago seems to have shrunk.

(Of course all the young studs around here are wondering why in the world we have stuff 10 years old. Aren't you supposed to go out and buy new stuff every year?)
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2008 at 3:20pm
Some history/trivia on Eagle wetsuits. On an unseasonably pleasant day in Houston in January, I went out to the river (not with my boat), just to grab a beer at the marina/boat ramp. Some folks were at the dock so I wandered down.

"Goin' skiin'?".

"Yeah we are...but we do it the hard way, without skis. Want to ride along?"

"Sure"

The braggy guy was a rookie who could do some stuff off the boom. The quiet guy, Dave Howard, was impressive. Back deeps, front to backs, back to fronts.... I mentioned I could foot a little, so I borrowed a wet suit and took a few runs. I hooked up with them a few other times. The quiet guy worked for Dolphin/Neptune wetsuits, but had just left to start a new company/competitor, Eagle wetsuits. He had a partner, Joel Brookshire, I believe a national calibre competitor who is still active I believe and shows up on footin' forums. Dave (the quiet guy) apparently left Eagle in the 80s and Joel sold out a few years ago.

81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2008 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Isnt that the truth Alan, just about everything I bought 10 years ago seems to have shrunk.

(Of course all the young studs around here are wondering why in the world we have stuff 10 years old. Aren't you supposed to go out and buy new stuff every year?)

Larry,

Hollywood is now wearing a pair of BI shorts that used to fit me....so I look at him and think to myself "no freakin way I was that skinny" and then can imagine what he's thinking looking at me "no freaking way I'm gonna be that (fill in the blank)"

1. old
2. overweight
3. grouchy
4. grey
5. out of shape
6. all of the above
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-22-2008 at 6:06pm
Probably not too long ago #6, all of the above, would probably be the correct response. But given the fact that these guys historically thought anyone over 40 was ancient and feeble, I think their seeing the oldtimers like you, quinner, eddie, jbear and me (among others I may be leaving out) mix it up with them, might actually be leading them to think, "hey, that's pretty cool, I didnt know old guys could still do that"

but then again...maybe not.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2008 at 2:30am

Back of the photo says "July 31 '81".....Tennesse.....makes me 30...brown hair then....not to much equipment. Two lines in the picture, so its a double run...got my mouth open as usual. Skinny too. Gotta love these old pictures.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2008 at 11:48am
Gotta love the old days. Did all of you know that John and I were members of the American Speedo Barefooting Team in the 70s. (1972 - 17 yrs old)

behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2008 at 6:40pm
I have an almost new medium BI Iron suit if anybody is looking. $160.00

Tim

Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2008 at 5:58am
Larry- Pictured above is the same barefoot line you had at Lake George, right?   

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2008 at 11:22am
Brad, Look real close at the handle. Larry had the up graded version with the plastic caps on the ends of the handle. The standard version was just the bare poly rope wrapped around the ends.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic