NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carter YH Carbs?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2019 at 2:58pm
Just want to warn you that Pete has just recently become known as the "Overlord of the Leakers", the leakers being the YH carburetors, but if you keep up this kind of good stuff you'll inherit his Overlord status and he'll be relegated to being a mere lord.
Extratx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Extratx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2019 at 3:23pm
Honestly, it's just a good way for me to tell the wife and kids they aren't going out on the boat with me. Testing carbs, not a good family day.

My wife said the boat is "plenty fast" as is, and she doesn't want to go any faster. Yet another reason why I want a new prop. Sorry babe, testing top speed again today, maybe next time!!!!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2019 at 6:20pm
Jon,
I'm sure glad there are many out there including yourself and myself that can handle a YH carb. rebuild one and not have any problems with leakage.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2019 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by Extratx Extratx wrote:

One more one more thing. On one of my two carbs, getting the needle seat screwed all the way in and tight against the sealing ring was a real bear. It felt tight, but it wasn't. If this is the case, the needle will stop the flow through the seat, but fuel will continue to flow around the seat. I used a tiny watch repair screwdriver to reach in and wiggle that sealing ring to make sure the needle seat had actually seated. Took a bit of in and out and lube to get the needle seat seated. You can also measure the seat distance compared to your other carb to make sure its screwed all the way in.

Well after reading all this Pete I wonder if Jon has a version of Quinners tool box
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2019 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by Extratx Extratx wrote:

I'll make you a deal. Give it your best effort, and if they still leak, send me your intake with carbs attached, and two new rebuild kits. I will rebuild them and put your stack on my boat to test them to make sure they are correct, Gratis. I've already received tons of help from you guys which is invaluable to me.
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2019 at 6:57pm
WOWZERS!!!
That is a most helpful, and generous offer, one that I can't possibly pass up. I'll take my last shot this week, if unsuccessful, will box up and ship.
Meantime, I've quickly made up this test rig....elec pump/press reg/guage,Maybe I'll find something by bench-testing...
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2019 at 7:02pm
No clue why my attachment rotate
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2019 at 3:12am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Jon,
I'm sure glad there are many out there including yourself and myself that can handle a YH carb. rebuild one and not have any problems with leakage.

I think I felt some sand in my face
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2019 at 3:13am
Extratx, I've sent you a Private message. Thx
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2019 at 4:11pm
Intake and carbs shipped out today. Stay 'tuned'...
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2019 at 10:38pm
The Dunphy is BACK!!!! Success...so far. Jon Francis (aka Extratx) knows YH carbs better then I.
I finally got everything back together, after throughly bench testing each carb, then the entire intake/carbs unit. Even though Jon was unable to install/run the setup on his boat, he felt confident with the results.
The boat cracked to life with the first flick of the key. Not a drip or drop so far.
Turns out there was a myriad of issues, perhaps most notably a 'rotted' carb body which was letting fuel past the main jet, and horribly adjusted accelerator pumps.
I did double-check the float levels after 5 days with UPS. All good.
So, this weekend will be the first 'road test' at the annual ACBS Delta Cruise in the Sac River Delta. If everything works, I'll 'hard-line' the remote fuel pressure regulator into place. It will be successful if it does not involve a paddle and/or a long rope.
Stay tuned, and thanks again Jon Francis. His willingness to help is above and beyond.
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-01-2019 at 11:21pm

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2019 at 3:28pm
Here we go, all bridled, saddled, and ready to go. Fingers crossed!!
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2019 at 3:42pm
Brian,
Where did you get those hull side emblems? I thought yours were missing?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2019 at 4:29pm
Looks like a decal to me Pete
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2019 at 4:38pm
yes, decals by previous owner....not bad, but not authentic. Thanks for the loan, Pete!!!
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2019 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Looks like a decal to me Pete

The reason I asked is I removed my tags and mailed them to Brian. He's having them reproduced by 3D printing. Funny, I had to mail him twice. I removed the tags from one side and after Brian got them he asked me for the other sides "flag". I forgot that the flags are left and right handed!!   

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2019 at 11:58pm
Brian,
Gary's eyes must be better than mine! Yes, the decals look pretty good.

Now, regarding the "Interceptor" tag between the Dunphy and the flag, I have never seen that before and am wondering if he simply added it. All I've ever seen is a short piece of 1/2" half oval rub rail there. I'll measure mine for length tomorrow. I'm heading down to the boat house to set up the aeration system to prevent the water from turning hard.

Love you X especially without a hole in the top of the dog house!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2019 at 1:31pm
Interesting about the "Interceptor" emblem/decal......or lack of it. I can't find a definitive photo to determine right/wrong.

Well, back from the best Dunphy outing in 5 years. Boat started and ran great...., after a bit of fiddling of course.

Went for a "pre-event" test run, and about 2K rpm the engine surged noticeably. I had installed an in-line fuel pressure regulator, and had set it very low, @ 3.5 lbs. No fuel was leaking out the carbs as before, but the small fuel volume wouldn't support more than an idle. I raised pressure by a lb. Ran much better, but still thin over 3k rpm. Raised it again for a total of 5 lbs, and ran great thereafter, Had a bit of hard starting Sunday, borrowed a fresh battery and good to go.

This old boat is always a surprise. It is fast! Swinging a stock 12x15 prop, at sea level, I got 52 mph at 4400 rpm, pretty much maxed out. (gps). Maybe most impressive....the wake, or lack of wake and spray. I had a '89 Supra Comp ts6m whose wake and spray characteristics were not surpassed by Nautique until the tsc-era boats. This 1964 wooden Dunphy is every bit as low, roostetail-less, and minimal side spray. Hope to get it back out once more this year and will get some wake videos.

Thanks again to all of you who have offered help, advice, and assistance.
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2019 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by MourningWood MourningWood wrote:

Maybe most impressive....the wake, or lack of wake and spray. I had a '89 Supra Comp ts6m whose wake and spray characteristics were not surpassed by Nautique until the tsc-era boats. This 1964 wooden Dunphy is every bit as low, roostetail-less, and minimal side spray. Hope to get it back out once more this year and will get some wake videos.

The lack of a wake has impressed many through the years and still does. I believe with the steps in the hull, there's no defined wake. It's more like 4 small wakes and yes, very low.

Great to hear the outing was successful. remove the pressure regulator and give it another try.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic