NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

last summer bacerds attempts

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: last summer bacerds attempts
    Posted: December-31-2008 at 7:25pm
OK, its a crappy grey snowy afternoon in New England, so I was just sitting here going through some old stuff. Came upon these four clips. Some of you may recall I made some headway with back deeps last summer. Here are some of the attempts to that goal. Don't need to harass me on the sneakers any more, enough of you did that last summer so I ditched them for later attempts. There's nothing in this for me, just some entertainment for you at my expense.

four tries
Barracuda View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barracuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2009 at 8:15pm
Good clips Larry.
You'll be nailing those back deep starts consistently this summer.

Hope you can make the best of these "crappy" winter days. I recommend pond hockey and snow skiing

-Brad
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2009 at 10:56pm
Larry,

I'm guessing you never did any time in the big house?
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2009 at 11:03pm
I'm not the expert here, but what are the instrutions you gave the driver. Usually
on a back deep you throttle up to 25-28 mph, and then take it up to speed once the feet are firmly planted. Based on the sound of the video, it sounded like the driver was doing a pretty consistent speed???

BKH
Livin' the Dream

86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2009 at 11:51pm
Larry, thank's for the video. I enjoyed it! Been there done that. If all else fails, blame it on the driver! LOL
Seriously, it is very driver critical. you've almost got it.    a few times when you couldn't get pulled up off the water, roll your toes inward (downward) keeping your ankles flexed ofcourse and you be up before you know it. practice,practice,practice.
👣 Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
Former Owner: 93 Hydrodyne 350 MAG
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2009 at 12:21am
I agree with Steve...driver is most important. C'mon down and Eddie will have you goin' in no time...tried to link to the short video of mine but could not get it to work. Wanted to show that if Eddie could teach me..he can teach anyone.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2009 at 7:57pm
Hey John,

Got your phone message, sorry I missed you. Thanks for checking in and a happy 2009 to you too. Here is your video (I keep it handy for inspiration)

Two ways to post your video from photobucket...I assume you got that far, as its just like uploading a photo.

First way: copy and paste the Direct Link under the video image. You will get what shows up in black here.

Then you need to add what I added in red to give it a title and to put it in as a link and it will end up looking like this.

johns video

Second way: you can just copy and paste the IMG Code under the video image and it will look like this, which is also a link.

Guys, I did make a little more headway last summer than than the clips suggest, I just need a little more practice I think,
and a little coaching on how to stay up once I'm up, as I never stayed up too terribly long (Have a ball with that one Hollywood)

Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Larry,

I'm guessing you never did any time in the big house?

??
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2009 at 12:56am
Ok I just tried the IMG code copy and paste and it worked fine...now why wouldn't it work last night? I'll never understand these things.

Thanks Larry...figured you would take pity on me and post it. Can't believe you lobbed that softball up to HW tho. Sorry I missed you but I think I got a reason to call ya later on this week..thursday maybe.

john

ps; I'll save the instructions till I get it...maybe won't have to bother ya for awhile.
"Loud pipes save lives"

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2009 at 12:15pm
Larry, i think he means you need to bend over more. let them know there is a target
"the things you own will start to own you"
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2009 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

I'm not the expert here, but what are the instrutions you gave the driver. Usually
on a back deep you throttle up to 25-28 mph, and then take it up to speed once the feet are firmly planted. Based on the sound of the video, it sounded like the driver was doing a pretty consistent speed???

BKH

Typically I pull my back footers at about 15 MPH until their feet are planted, then accel to about 35MPH. Personally I think the driver in these vids is going too fast during the feet plant phase. You really want to baby the throttle during this phase, at least with the back footers that I pull.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2009 at 1:28pm
The slower the better for learning, like anything. You can keep fighting it but I think your driver needs a little education.

Here's one tip for your driver. You want about a 2' fountain of bubbly water coming straight up through the crotch during the glide (i'm going to say glide instead of PLANT which sounds too harsh for this). If it's flying over your head that is probably too fast! This is an easy thing for the driver to look for instead of the speedos. Eventually it will all get quicker but for now definitely slow it down.

Larry, don't worry about not staying up long enough when backwards since you're not the one doing the work.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2009 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Here's one tip for your driver. You want about a 2' fountain of bubbly water coming straight up through the crotch during the glide (i'm going to say glide instead of PLANT which sounds too harsh for this). If it's flying over your head that is probably too fast! This is an easy thing for the driver to look for instead of the speedos. Eventually it will all get quicker but for now definitely slow it down.

Good tip- Ill have to tell that one to any new drivers, and use it myself. I usually shoot for 10-12mph until the feet are planted, then bring it up to 30-35. Much slower than 10, you drown; much faster than 12, you bounce.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2009 at 2:13pm
Thanks for the tips guys, keep them coming. My son is my primary driver. When we first started, per my direction, he did keep it slow (I'm guessing 12 to 15) till planted (or gliding). As I got more comfortable and successful planting, he just sort of started accelerating faster- not sure we ever really discussed it at that point. Since it is the standing up/staying up part I have trouble with, I wasnt real fussy about the planting speed thing. (although I did notice in a couple of the clips above, some bouncing going on...I had attributed that to the rollers you can see. (blame the lake)

This, more than anything else, is making me anxious to get started again in the spring. That and the fact that on my last day out skiing this past fall, I met up with an older gentlemen (like myself) who is an avid skier- footer, who I had never met before. He putted up alongside us in his new Malibu to compliment my vintage boat. So I'm hoping to get together with him this year to share pointers. (not sure if he does bacerds or not, we didnt talk that much)
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2009 at 4:43pm

Larry,
Looking at this pic I see a couple things really quick. Your butt is in the air really nice, and I mean that purely from a barefoot perspective!!!

Your feet unfortunately are way too wide at this point though. You can actually see your right foot is still pointed away from the boat and you're actually skiing on your instep and big toe rather than the bottom of your foot. If your ass is that high in the air, your feet should be turned straight down into the water and you should be bringing your feet much closer together (think no wider than shoulder width).

When you get going fast enough so that your ass starts to lift off the water, you need to do a few things all at the same time.
First,
You think about constantly keeping your toes pulled up toward your knees. NEVER and I mean NEVER point your toes like you're trying to stand on them. Keep them pulled or pointed up toward your knees (whichever way you want to think about it).
Second,
You start to turn your feet down toward the bottom of the lake while keeping your toes pointed up toward your knees. I know it sounds kinda contradictory. Think of it like this. When you're doing your "glide" your toes are actually pointed out toward shore (but still pulled up toward your knees) so that the inside of your ankles are actually riding on top of the water. When your ass raises off the water, you can SLOWLY but EVENLY turn both feet straight down into the water while keeping your toes pulled up toward your knees. Many people have a tendancy to try "standing" on their toes at this point. That just makes your feet act like an arrow and drive straight down into the water and you're done at that point. Keep your toes pulled up toward your knees while you turn your feet down into the water instead of laying on top of the water. One very important fact here though. Turn both feet AT THE SAME TIME. A combination of boat acceleration and how "hard" the water is determines how soon and how fast you turn your feet down. It's a "feel" thing that can only determined by you. Generally, as soon as your ass starts to lift off the water, you can turn them down. How fast they get turned down is the "feel" thing.
Third,
Bring your feet closer together. A LOT closer together. Having them a little wide is OK when first starting out, but too wide and you'll never get your feet completely turned down into the water. You'll only be able to get them about halfway turned down (just like the pic shows). As speed continues to increase, if your feet are too wide you'll never be able to pull them together. No matter how strong you are. At that point, you end up doing the splits and pulling a hammie. Your heels should not be more than shoulder width apart. When you're doing 25MPH bacerds and you think you're feet are at shoulder width, they really look just like your pic. They're WAY wide yet. My own personal rule....If you think your feet are close enough together, trust me when I tell you that they aren't. Pull them together more.

So now your ass is in the air, feet turned down with your toes pulled up toward your knees and your feet shoulder width apart. When you're in the right position, your chest will naturally lift off the water. Everything from the waist down should not move now. You'll feel the spray from your feet hitting your chin. As you continue to lift your chest, as soon as you don't feel the spray hitting your chin, stop lifting right there. Don't raise up any higher. You're officially going bacerds now. Enjoy the ride.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2009 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

At that point, you end up doing the splits and pulling a hammie.

That happened to me end of july last summer. Ended the attempts for the entire season, in fact I still feel it sometimes.

Thanks for the tips. Wish I could go work on it this weekend, but thats not going to happen. Would sure like to swing a trip down your way for a day out with you and John. I know I'd come home with a solid bacerds run.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2009 at 2:17am
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Would sure like to swing a trip down your way for a day out with you and John. I know I'd come home with a solid bacerds run.

Sure sounds like a good plan to me. Bet you need some warm weather, sun, skiing and adult beverages about now.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Watercraftsales View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watercraftsales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2009 at 3:29pm
Another huge point to consider is 75 tique will have his legs apart at that stage of the game, but he isn't "hinging" at the hip enough. As your butt lifts off the water, it feels like you've "done it" and peopel tend to relax. The only way to properly, quickly and cleanly finish the job is to continue to bring your chest to your thighs so that you butt is the highest part of your body.

You are doing that in the picture, but your head is laid out, it should be closer to your shins at the last moment before coming up.    

On the short line a person can cheat very easily, but your previous technique will not work on the longline, especially on the low pole.

Many people overlook that phase, but it is the most crucial to being able to perform that trick with any driver in any conditions.

In addition like the ealier posts, your driver is too fast, the 10-12 is the correct speed, but as you do it more, you won't look at the speedos, just go by feel.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic