NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Might these work for Barefooting

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Might these work for Barefooting
    Posted: April-07-2009 at 7:32pm
So my runner friend finds these for running - supposed to be better for you to run barefoot. They have a couple of different models and he said these might work for barefooting.

Fivefingers

The lake I'm on is a dammed up river and we get lots of flotsam early in the season and these might protect the feet some.

They also have a neoprene type model;

Neoprene Model

These might be nice for those that like to barefoot in the cold.

I've tried sneakers before and I don't like the disconnected feeling they provide.

1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 8:09pm
They seem like they'd work pretty well for barefooting. I looked at these a while back for racing my triathlons in, but in the end decided i'd rather go with standard running shoes & not be stuck with something I didn't like/use for $100.

I Don't see any reason why they wouldn't work for 'footing. It's still the same basic size of your foot with each individual slot for toes... so it's essentially like being barefoot.

Plus... I think they look sweet... when i get some extra cash, i'm gonna pick up a pair for running/climbing.

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 8:57pm
Mark, those look pretty cool and like you I ski in a river so I'm always dodging junk. If you do try them out please post back how they worked. I hurt my foot over a year ago and it still kills me to foot for any more than 1/4 mile or so, these might be an option.
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2009 at 9:18pm
I did not personally try them but was in the boat when a friend did and he did not like them. weird spray and no feeling. you'd be better off with a pair of small shoe skis. IMO.

Steve
👣 Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
Former Owner: 93 Hydrodyne 350 MAG
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2009 at 2:34am
dude, you are killing me...LOL...

WTF are those things? I almost drew down on them with my .357 magnum thinking they were a five-toe gila monster...LOL I thought you were joking until I read the rest of the posts. You are freaking serious!

If you want some shoe skis for a bit of warmth and a bit of protection, check these out at barefootcentral.com:

Shoe Skis

I am not a big fan of using things for barerfooting that are not intented for footing. JMO. The five freaking toes put me over the top. Sorry, I am ROFL over here...
Got Foot?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2009 at 10:53am
Dude, give it a rest. When you get close to 50 and still have the desire to barefoot but have physical limitations from injury all you can do is look for options.

I've seen the booties you linked to and the shoe ski suggestion above is ok if I wanted to go "shoe skiing" but my thoughts were that those others Mark linked to "might" offer some protection/support and still have some feel of the water.

Mark Mel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2009 at 11:23am
Ha I had the same thought initially Lakeboy. But, if they work well, provide some protection, maybe provide some warmth while still giving the feel of the water, what's the harm?

Also my friend the runner is thinking of getting them for running - in public! At least on our boats the audience won't be so big.

Also, most of us don't have the luxury of footing in a nice warm log free California canal/lake. ;)
1978 Nautique

FBook - www.facebook.com/charliedontsurfct
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2009 at 1:28pm
OK, I'll give it a rest since I nearly split a gut. No bad intent over here, just having some fun.

BTW I am nearly 50 myself and foot twice a week year 'round...Mark's got a good sense of humor, thought he would appreciate it. My serious point is stick to the gear that is designed for the purpose especially on the water at 42 MPH. Many, better than me, have developed specific products for purpose AND safety. Nuff, said.
Got Foot?
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2009 at 2:36pm
Mark, we are by no means log/debris free. Last week, Andy avoided driving me onto a huge submerged, water soaked log. The whole set we came across all kinds of debris. We are no strangers to the shoe skis. I nearly skied across a 4x8 sheet of plywood in the winter. The only place there is no risk is a private ski lake, but the trade off is a short run.

The Sacramento River Delta is a favorite spot with miles and miles of sloughs. ALL get debris, especially winter/spring. Check those shoes out on BFC.com if you are serious about protection AND the right product for the job.
Got Foot?
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2009 at 2:54pm
I don't like to use shoe skis either but they do have many advantages.
mainly slower speeds for new tricks. I've tried most on the market and my favorite by far is the BFC shoes. I think KSO's are the same but just more money.
Just my two cents!
Steve
👣 Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
Former Owner: 93 Hydrodyne 350 MAG
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2009 at 4:39pm
I am intrigued by them but not enough to blow $100....I already have BI's, Scarpa's big and small, and BFC's...

I think they would work and if I could try em before I buy em I might consider it...in fact over on www.onlineshoes.com there is a 90 day unconditional warranty on any shoes you buy...I'll have to check and see if they have them...

we ski in tons of debris, its a constant worry...I've seen hottubs floating down the river!
This is the life
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2009 at 4:42pm
Too funny that they are called KSO's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep stuff out....or did they mean Keith St Onge??????
This is the life
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2009 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by 86BFN 86BFN wrote:

I don't like to use shoe skis either but they do have many advantages.
mainly slower speeds for new tricks. I've tried most on the market and my favorite by far is the BFC shoes. I think KSO's are the same but just more money.
Just my two cents!
Steve

Agreed, I have a pair from BI and they're great for learning/practicing tricks but I was intrigued by those Mark posted. A few barefoot passes and the next few days at work are just miserable on my right foot so the thought of an alternative caught my eye.

ps. It's bad enough where I'm considering taking up wakeboarding this summer!!!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2009 at 4:52pm
Alan, may want to try a pair of $20 neoprene socks. I'd think they're soft enough to give you a feel for the water and minimize the pressure. Steady Eddie was wearing just 1 when we were down at Reids, didn't seem to affect his skiing.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2009 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Alan, may want to try a pair of $20 neoprene socks. I'd think they're soft enough to give you a feel for the water and minimize the pressure. Steady Eddie was wearing just 1 when we were down at Reids, didn't seem to affect his skiing.

A few guys I ski with have used neoprene booties to deal with deeply bruised feet.

I wouldnt think anything with a shoe-like sole is going to provide any feel at all- whether theyre shaped like a foot or not.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2009 at 5:20pm
Wood,

I have a pair of the same ones Eddie was wearing, always figured they wouldn't last too long if you used them footing. Alan, you are welcome to give them a whirl anytime.

Used to foot thru all kinds of debris on the Illinois & Fox rivers until I met a guy who did hit a log, his feet were mangled, no thanks! Will stick with the short runs of our private lake over no arches and less then 10 toes.
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2009 at 5:22pm
What I dig about footin' IS the feel of the water on my feet, especially glass. Nothing like it. Some people dig a fine wine or a single malt scotch down the throat; for me it is the water on the feet.

Can't describe it. That's why I foot, and that is why I can't get enough of barefooting. Just ask Andy. (GlassSeeker) I can talk about barefooting all day, every day and not get bored. I am obsessed, sorry to say. My mid-life need for the hot blonde and the red Vette cannot match the need for FOOT FREAKIN' FEVER! I am recovering from a groin pull I got skiing backwards Sunday, and I am already in Andy's grille talking about going out Saturday.

Sorry, back to the point...what was the point? OH yeah.. footin'.. that IS the point.
Got Foot?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2009 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by LakeBoy LakeBoy wrote:

What I dig about footin' IS the feel of the water on my feet, especially glass. Nothing like it. Some people dig a fine wine or a single malt scotch down the throat; for me it is the water on the feet.

Can't describe it. That's why I foot, and that is why I can't get enough of barefooting. Just ask Andy. (GlassSeeker) I can talk about barefooting all day, every day and not get bored. I am obsessed, sorry to say. My mid-life need for the hot blonde and the red Vette cannot match the need for FOOT FREAKIN' FEVER! I am recovering from a groin pull I got skiing backwards Sunday, and I am already in Andy's grille talking about going out Saturday.

Sorry, back to the point...what was the point? OH yeah.. footin'.. that IS the point.

Roy, I used to feel the same way you do about footin....28 years ago!!!

Now before you get pissed at me that was a joke so relax. I've been following your progress since you started last summer and you've come a long way, you should be proud and sometimes thats hard to contain.
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2009 at 7:38pm
Ya got me there, 81. No offense taken, for real. I wish I was exposed to this sport a long time ago. That's why I am so into it: it's fun, and if I can do it, most anyone can.

Thanks for tracking my progress, sincerely. I post, video, and expose barefooting not to make myself look better or cool, but to inspire others. Sure it is fun to succeed and grow. What I want it the sport to grow. The world out there puts footing in a fringe category not because it is fringe, but because they cannot visulize doing it themselves.

I have benefitted so much from people, like you, who have been into the sport for a long time, and can teach me. When I go out with Andy, Willie and one of Andy's or Willie's buddies, there is like 80+ years of footing experience on the boat. As the clear rookie you can rest assured I eat plenty of humble pie. Just ask those guys...LOL.
Got Foot?
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2009 at 12:34am
If I showed up with those foot mittens, the guys wouldn't let me in the boat. We all have Chuck Taylor high tops to foot with if we can't foot regular. I had a heel blister, as did a footin' buddy of mine, so when that happens, we use the Chucky T's to stay on the water. There is not the control, but they are a blast to use. $24, and you can get them at your local Walmart.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic