Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

needing an engine mount solution

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
curbsidegold View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curbsidegold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: needing an engine mount solution
    Posted: February-10-2004 at 10:34pm
Imagine my suprise. I just realized that the engine mounting brackets on my recently purchased inboard Gray Marine 4 75 are slightly different than the engine mounts in my '49 CC. Each engine mount in my boat has two upright bolts placed approximatly 2.5 inches apart. Each bracket on the engine accomodates two bolts spaced approx 4.5 inches apart. Does anyone have ideas or solutions ...
a. source to buy new engine mounts (in boat)
b. source to buy new brackets (on engine)
c. ideas on manufacturing a solution
Thanks all. SM
sm
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2004 at 12:05am
post a picture if you can.

graymarine is owned by teledyne and still has parts available. i would start there.
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2004 at 12:38pm
here's their page and numbergraymarine

if you can't get anywhere, try this page of links

gray engines where based on continental engines. they still make engines for airplanes.
i was told my gray was based on a chrysler block, but who knows.
64 Skier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-15-2004 at 4:53am
I had a similar surprise...the wooden beam was gone inside the fiberglass. Since I was modifying the old 289 H&M to have a little more HP and thinking about the reactive torque etc, I built an aluminum frame and "Tig'd" the engine mounts and am very happy. I don't think the whole project would cost over $200 if you paid a machine shop to do it.

The original design swivel mounts that were on the engine are still being used, but the attachment to the boat is on the new frame and fully adjustable like a newer model.

I'm not sure where I read it, but the guy was right...I had to re-align in the water even with the stiffer frame and new beam.
64 Skier
66" HO VTX and 67" HO Triumph
71CC

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curbsidegold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2004 at 2:08am
Thanks 64 skier. I spoke with an engine guy about this and he recommended a similar solution. When you have time, could you either post or email me a pic of attachment you fabricated for the new frame. Thanks.

Tryan .. I called Teledyne, and while the gal in customer service knew about the history with Grays, she checked in an "archive file" and could not locate any reference to available parts. I asked if she knew if Teledyne might have a wharehouse somewhere stocked with parts from discontinued engines. She thought that was funny.
sm
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2004 at 3:20pm
was she doing her nails at the time ? let me look into it, but the frame is an excellent idea. it would be great to run it all the way to the strut mount if you can.
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2004 at 9:35pm
ken spars at gray sent me an email. send the phone person a new nail file. no offence anyone.

ken@graymarine.org
tryan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2004 at 9:57pm
you'll be raising your motor the thickness of the angled support. make sure you can still adjust everything into alignment. you might have to shave the thickness of the brace off the top of the stringer.

boats settle with age. probably more so on the trailer.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curbsidegold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2004 at 1:33am
I solved my riddle. The "brackets" secured to the stringers in my boat (each of which has two upright bolts) were simply a different style of mount than the ones that came which my current engine. When prior owner removed the engine, he unbolted it from the engine mounts, leaving the mounts behind rather than unbolting the engine mounts from the stringers. I can see why, It took me abount an hour to unscrew all 8 bronze (or brass) 6 inch lag bolts, two of which snapped in half. Now I have a nice clean space to set my new engine down on. Thanks everyone. SM
sm
tryan View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2004 at 12:25pm
get some stuff from the rot doctor and pour it in the old holes.

look for some stainless lags. the lag bolts at your local hardware are electro plated junk and will eat into your mounts and stringers.

do a little math before you set the motor. even if the mounts are adjustable, they do have their limits.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic