NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

160 thermo?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 160 thermo?
    Posted: June-29-2009 at 11:28am
After noticing that my boat was not running hot enough this year I decided to take out my 140 thermostat and put in a 160. Last weekend at the lake, water 88 degrees and air over 100, she ran right at 150 on the gauge.

I know these engines were designed to run at 140 but some say it's fine to run at 160. It's awfully hot under that engine box. The risers are hotter than I remember last year too. Can't hold my hands on them. They are not "beading water off" hot, just too hot to touch for more than half a second.

This is the most I have run my boat since I got it so I'm still trying to get a feel for things. To me, with the air and water temperature being that hot, that big engine in the confined engine box, and running her pretty good, skiing and such, everything should be about that hot. But what do I know? I could always put the 140 back in.

Something else weird I noticed. Once I turn off the boat, the gauge would start rising all the way to max. So I turned the blower off and it dropped back to 150-140. Turn the blower on and it would rise again. Obviously something to do with the way it's wired.

For those that don't know my gauge and sender are both new Teleflex.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2009 at 12:46pm
David,
Some exhaust manifolds will run hot to the point that you can't keep your hand on them. They however should run even cooler now that you have the higher temp T stat because in theory, not as much cooling water is needed for the engine and water still flows through the manifolds. Air temp doesn't come into play and I really don't feel the 88 water temp is bad. Think about a super stretch limo in Las Vegas in the middle of summer with the AC on full blast and they don't have the whole lake for cooling - the 150 running temp of your engine is fine.

The gauge reading higher with the blower on is simply electrical. With the extra load you are getting a voltage drop up to the dash and the gauges are reacting. Without the engine/alternator running, this drop is magnified. You may want to check all your electrical connections. I went through my Tique when I got it and picked up something like 1.3 volts up to the dash after cleaning up all the connection. That doesn't seem like much but really is when you look at the 1.3 volts from a % standpoint off the nominal 12 volts. Wire size comes to play as well. Boats have been marginally wired for years with wire sizing.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
vondy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2009 at 5:03pm
That makes me feel a bit better.

One of these days I'll redo the wiring, perhaps that will fix the gauge issue.

As long as it's an accurate reading while it's running I'm happy for now.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic