Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1980 Ski Nautique Total Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 101112
Author
Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2015 at 11:22am
Scotty,
How about some pictures? We would love to see the boat.

Don't get discouraged, you have one of the best towboats ever produced and there is nothing that cant be fixed. This site is the very best aggregator of knowledge about these boats; you will get the help you need to aid you in restoration if you choose to go that way.
1980 Rebuild
Diary
Signpainter, Disaster Responder, Longline Barefooter
Watauga View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Watauga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2015 at 2:36pm
It sounds like the previous owner probably knew the boat had issues but decided to recarpet and market the boat? If the secondaries and one primary have issues you can safely wager that the boat has many more issues. My opinion is that every single one of these-era boats needs a total restoration. I have heard of some exceptions, e.g., a boat with 50 hours that was always stored in a climate controlled garage under a ceiling fan with a dehumidifier placed in the boat after each use, but those are very rare.

You will need to decide if you can use it for another year or two before you begin the restoration, or sell it. My guess is that the summer is nearing the end in NH, so if you are thinking you may jump into the restoration business the timing is good.

If you are thinking restoration, you should honestly count the cost, commitment, time, skill level, and availability of space to undertake the job, before you jump in. The time needed could be 250-500 hours depending on your skill, help available, and if you also are doing the trailer, upholstery and the engine. There may be contractors around that you could hire to do the work, but I highly doubt they would be able to do it to your satisfaction or within your budget. The cost of the materials to do a stringer job and floor might be around $2,500. Carpet $300-400. Upholstery $1,500-2,000 depending on if you have the deluxe interior and coming pads, more if you need to rebuild the seat bases, etc.. Engine $2,000 or more. Trailer $200-600. Hope that gives you some beginning budgetary figures, your cost could be way higher or much less. Starting on one of these boats is like opening up the proverbial can of worms (since I went this this far shouldn't I also rebuild the carb. or fix that non-working speedometer, or put a new sending unit in the fuel cell, or refinish the boarding platform, or replace the steering cable and control cables). Those cost add up rather quickly. I am not trying to discourage you at all, just saying you should be honest with yourself before you begin.

1980 Rebuild
Diary
Signpainter, Disaster Responder, Longline Barefooter
Scotty O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotty O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2015 at 8:21pm
Scotty O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotty O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2015 at 8:28pm
Scotty O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotty O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2015 at 8:29pm
Scotty O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotty O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2015 at 8:36pm
Yes I agree that the seller was fully aware and actually stated primary stringers were "decent" and that the secondary's were "not as good". I explained to him that he and I have a differing opinion of what decent and not as good means when it comes to ROT! But at the end of the day, I'm still not mad. He has to live with the deception and I fully believe in karma.

I certainly do appreciate you taking the time out of your morning to send the message regarding the restoration and costs. As my wife and kids and I were at the table I read your message to her which she responded that it was very nice of you to have written.

I still believe that there is value in the boat and my father and I have had similar discussions that you stated regarding not having the ability to afford a brand new Nautique.

My thoughts are the same where I think I can get one to two years in current condition as long as I take it easy with it. Stay up on maintenance that it will require and see where we stand at that time. My thoughts are telling me now that this boat will probably stay in the family and can take the time and money and do the restoration it will require.
Scotty O View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotty O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-24-2015 at 8:44pm
Oh, I did some minor cosmetic updates with the new sticker and correct craft emblems on the side. Spent quite a bit of time buffing it to have some what of a shine, but at the end of the day, it's 35 years old, shows her age, and has a some nasty dock rash on the port side.

But you know what..........we took her to one of the local launches Sunday for her maiden voyage just to make sure everything was running right, and as I walked back from where I parked the truck, and saw her floating in the water, I fell in love with it all over again! She looked so good from where I was standing, and no sooner was it launched, there was another boater who launched an outboard, and my boat stopped him in his tracks! Walked right over to us to ask me what year it was, complimented me on how good it looked for its age, and asked for a brief history of it! Very proud owner at that moment!

That lasted for a short time after we discovered the impeller on the raw water pump had failed............but thats a story for another day!
80tiquefan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80tiquefan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2019 at 5:05pm
Watauga, I know that this post has lain dormant since 2015 but, it's a wonderful guide for my application. I am about to begin my stringer rebuild experience on a 1980 Ski Nautique. I was wondering what the dimensions were on the Douglas Fir that you bought for the main stringers? I have located a supplier locally but want to make sure I purchase large enough lumber. I haven't began to tear any of the floor out but, want to get this DF purchased while they have it in stock.

Thanks for any help!
Jason Murray

1980SkiNautique
1993 Sport Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2019 at 5:39pm
Jason,
I suggest getting a moisture reading on the DF. A good yard will have a meter. If not, a basic meter is around $20.00. If you are buying contruction grade lumber, understand they are only required to take the moisture down to 18% and that's too high to use immediatly. If the lumber has been sitting around for a time since the kiln drying, I have seen it down to around 12%. Idealy you want around 8% so you may need to do some further drying. Get it home, place stickers (1x2 spacers) between the lumber, clamp or band it together and keep it in a dry spot. Some gental air movement without heat will help. Depending on the humidity, it may take a couple weeks or more but it sounds like you have some time to spend on the hull first.

Start a new thread on the project and remember, we love pictures!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
80tiquefan View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80tiquefan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2019 at 10:30pm
Pete, thanks for the quick reply. I will definitely have time for the lumber to dry. This is part of the reason for buying it early in the restoration and I do plan to start a new thread on the restoration as soon as the weather will allow me to get started. My question is what dimension lumber should I buy for the mains on an 80 model? My options are: 2x8's, 2x10x24"s, and 2x12x24"s. Thanks for any input.
Jason Murray

1980SkiNautique
1993 Sport Nautique
nitro scott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitro scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-04-2019 at 2:20am
Beautiful job OP. I have a 73 that I have to restore. Got motor out it was rusted solid. Now I realize how much work it is going to be. With the help of this thread I can handle it. Thank you for sharing.
GTH852001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GTH852001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2020 at 6:55pm
I was wondering if anyone can tell me how the ski pylon comes out? I have the four big bolts loose and the one on the bottom removed. What else needs to be done?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 101112
  Share Topic