Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

launching boat question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
HBnautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HBnautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: launching boat question
    Posted: July-02-2009 at 4:05pm
So I am wondering if I should be unplugging the trailer wiring when I am launching my boat? I primarily use the boat in salt water.
Livin' the Life
My 84' 2001
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2009 at 4:09pm
HBnautique.

Some say that you should to help the bulbs cool off from the trip to the ramp. The cold or cool water hits the hot bulbs and makes them break. However, I have never unpluged mine.

I just went to LED's and this is suposably does not happen with them.

I hope this helps,

Donald
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2009 at 6:34pm
I do, especially in colder waters like Donald mentioned. The problem is as your backing down the ramp, you've got the brakes on for a good while before the bulbs hit the water, so they're nice and hot then hit the nice cold water. But I've also forgotten many times and luckily nothing happened (water was warmer though). It only takes a second, but don't forget to plug them back in obviously.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2009 at 7:03pm
I personally think that it doesn't really matter. I've done it both ways and haven't noticed bulbs lasting longer if I did or didn't. I guess if you do have a open wire somewhere on the trailer you won't blow a fuse if you unplugged them.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-03-2009 at 9:41am
A little dielectric grease in the sockets will help with the salt water.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
almabes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote almabes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2009 at 12:46pm
I always unplug before backing the trailer in.
favorite computer wisdom: net helpmsg 4006
'76 Martinique PCM 351W
Terp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2009 at 1:19pm
I always unplug and hadn't had to replace a bulb yet. Went to a different "ramp" on the 4th that was remote & unimproved (expecting very heavy traffic at the real ramps) and I guess with the slight change in the routine I forgot to unplug. Guess what I had to replace this week?
The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2009 at 2:58am
If you're in salt I'm guessing you're in warm water most of the year? I'm in same conditions and never unplug and have never replaced a bulb. Donna the Buffalo is right about the grease..
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-21-2009 at 9:32pm
In theory there is a "bell Jar Principle". If your lenses are intact and properly sealed the air is trapped and water should not enter, That is a big if however. I rarely remember to unplug and have few problems . I put LEDs on my last trailer and will do the same to this one when it needs repair. Dave.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2009 at 12:12am
I have the type of lights that have an air pocket. The bottom of them is wide open. I have had this style for 20 years, have yet to blow a bulb during launch.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
HBnautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HBnautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2009 at 4:26pm
Yeah that is the kind of lights I have too. So this past weekend I unplugged the lights before launching and did NOT break any bulbs. Yea! So for now I am going to keep doing that until I decide to upgrade to some LED's
Livin' the Life
My 84' 2001
37N122W View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 37N122W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2009 at 9:35pm
I never unplugged it in the past. This recent trip I did. Then proceeded to drive down the road to the cabin to park the trailer and forgot to hook the lights up again. I ended up dragging the wire and lost the 7 to 4 pin adapter. So I had to jerry rig my lights to get down to the nearest town where I could get an adapter. All the while the family is dead tired from vacation and facing a 4.5 hour trip home in 110 degree heat!

I'm leaving the suckers plugged in from now on...

JJ
"It never gets easier, you just go faster." Greg LeMond
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic