Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Drive shaft keyway?!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
SplashHL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SplashHL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Drive shaft keyway?!
    Posted: July-12-2009 at 11:37pm
I have a 2004 Sport Nautique with a drive shaft that appears to wiggle its way out of the collar coming off of the transmission. The keyway was just replaced and the repair shop thinks the shaft is coming out for some reason other than the keyway and/or repair they just finished...am I being scammed or what? For the record, the repair lasted excayly one day...I skieed the boat and after an hour felt a low speed vibration...that's when I discovered the shaft about one inch out from the feyway/collar...I know just enough about boats to be dangerous, but not enough to repair big problems...any help/advice?!
Whatever
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2009 at 1:13am
Splash - The coupler is supposed to be a press fit with the shaft (unless it is a double taper shaft, then it is a taper fit).    I assume you have the single tapered shaft (that is straight at trans coupler).

Why did they re-key the shaft?    Did they also turn the OD?   That would make the press fit be a slip fit (bad).   You can buy a new coupler but it has to be reamed to fit your shaft; it should be 'faced' too.    I would take this back to your mechanic; it is possible it was misaligned & fretting wore the ID of the coupler.

You might have to buy both a new shaft & coupler - if so I recommend the double taper ARE style.

Let us know what you find out.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
SplashHL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SplashHL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2009 at 2:20pm
Thanbks for the reply. Boat is at the shop today...I'll take your notes with me thi safternoon and quiz my mechanic...it may be that I need to go to a CC dealer (100 miles away) versus 1 mile! I don't think I have a tapered shaft...I guess my other unasnwered question is why did the thing break in the first place?! I have been running through lots of seaweed between the channel where I Live until I hit open water. I've usually been backing up once I hit the deep water and clearing the sea weed with a bit of backwards and forwards, using the throttle somewhere between gentle and medium revs...maybe the vibration broke the original collar? Thanks for all the good info! SplashHL
Whatever
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2009 at 11:01am
HL,
Chris is right on with his explanation. Yes, the coupling to the shaft is a interference shrink to fit and yes you have taken your boat to someone that doesn't know what they are doing! They should know that a bad engine/prop shaft alignment will cause the coupling to fret and loosen on the shaft. You will need at least a new coupling half bored to a interference fit and then a decent alignment.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic