Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

74 southwind engine

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
dogspower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogspower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 74 southwind engine
    Posted: July-22-2009 at 1:10am
I just bought a 74 southwind in really good shape the person i bought it from to;d me it has the stock engine in it after reading some on hear i looked and it has a left hand prop on it does that mean that the engine has been changed to a car engine how do i tell the diff. is there anyway by looking at the engine or not did this boat come with left hand engine,thanks scott
dp1
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2009 at 1:28am
I have a '76 Southwind. It has a RH engine as stock. I am pretty sure they all did. If you stand behind the engine as it runs, it should turn to the right. A std car engine would turn to the left.
dogspower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogspower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2009 at 1:33am
well mine turns to the left i guess it has a left hand prop one acme451
dp1
dogspower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogspower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2009 at 1:38am
if this was changed they would have had to change the trans also right surely they would have not just changed the shifter and run it in revese to go foward
dp1
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2009 at 2:02am
No, they would not run the trans in reverse. I think there is a indexing mechanism that has to be changed for it to run left hand. I am not sure how to do that, but, I have seen it mentioned on various posts on this site. And, as you already know, it would also involve going with a LH prop.
dogspower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogspower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2009 at 2:05am
is there anyway to look at the head to see if they used the marine heads or not
dp1
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2009 at 2:08am
The tranny does not care which direction the motor spins, only the pump.Remove four bolts spin the pump 180. If this is not done the tranny will not work.
dogspower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dogspower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2009 at 2:11am
my 74 has left hand prop on it now and it runs very good but from what i can tell it shoud be right hand
dp1
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-22-2009 at 3:12am
If its working now....don't fix it!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic