Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Shaft Question - Noobie still learning

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mustang65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mustang65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shaft Question - Noobie still learning
    Posted: July-24-2009 at 11:38pm
New purchase of the 82 Ski Nautique and still trying to figure things out. Thanks to those who have answered earlier posts. Latest thing Im tackling is vibration/shaft rotation resistance/alignment. Note: This boat has probably been driven with this condition for many years...

Have a vibration that begins at 3000 rpm but goes away at 3300 and higher. I can turn the prop by hand about 180 without any resistance. Then it takes some force to continue around. Unbolted the shaft from the trans and it does the same thing. Inside the boat while turning the shaft by hand I hear rubber squeaking at the point where the shaft goes thru the hull. At the back of the boat when turning the prop by hand I hear the shaft strut bushing squeak a bit.

Not having ever done this before what is causing the resistance? Bent shaft??? Is the shaft 2 pieces? Are there bushing where the shaft goes thru the hull that need replaced? Can a bent prop shaft be straightened or is best to purchase a replacement? If need to purchase can anyone recommend? I know a lot of questions but trying to learn. I appreciate the help!
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2009 at 1:23am
Mustang - Best place for you to start is to check the alignment gap. Check it with the shaft rotated at each 90 degree position. If the shaft is bent (sounds like it) then the gap will be bigger on one side & will follow the shaft around.

If it is bent, that would be the 1st thing to fix. I bought a new one last year instead of trying to get it straightened. Others may have a source for straightening; I was leary of that myself.

There are many posts on these repairs, so get a cup of joe tomorrow AM & search for these repairs.
Other items to replace while the shaft is out are the strut bushings & the packing material.

Let us know what you find!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
mustang65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mustang65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2009 at 2:40am
Thanks for the insight! Does it make sense that I have to slightly lift the prop shaft to get it to meet up with the transmission mount?
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2009 at 4:57am
Originally posted by mustang65 mustang65 wrote:

Thanks for the insight! Does it make sense that I have to slightly lift the prop shaft to get it to meet up with the transmission mount?

Lower the engine to meet the shaft.

Might as well pull the shaft and make sure it is straight....then put some new packing in it too.

Tim

BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2009 at 10:13am
Pete has posted some good step-by-step instructions for all of your questions. When you search the site, try an advanced search including his handle. I think it's 8122pbrainard (edit-saw the other spelling in a neighboring state to WI)

To start, you want the shaft centered in the strut and then see where that leaves you up front.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
mustang65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mustang65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2009 at 3:29pm
No matter how much I tweak the engine position the shaft still was resistant every 180 degrees. Any recommendations on where to purchase prop shaft and strut at a reasonable price?
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-25-2009 at 5:49pm
Elberts in Oregon, he makes the A.R.E double taper, are you sure you need a strut?
when you unbolt the shaft it is normal once seperated that the shaft will drop, you need to keep one bolt in and keep it finger tight and it makes it easier if you imagine the prop shaft is in line with the crank centerline to check the alignment, take a look at your strut and your log and the shaft should be dead center in the log and not compressing the strut bearing in any way. if ok then proceed to your coupling half check with the feeler blades. if you do a search for shaft alignment this will explain from there on out the corrections you need to make if any
"the things you own will start to own you"
mustang65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mustang65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2009 at 12:28am
Thanks! A couple of Q's. What is the "log"? And how do I determine if the strut is bent?.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2009 at 12:38am
The log is the fiberglass tunnel where the shaft exits the hull - it is supposed to be centered in it. If it isn't, that is a good sign the strut is bent. Also, look closely at the strut bushings (both front & back, you may have to remove prop) is the shaft is compressing the rubber on one side, the strut is bent.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
mustang65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mustang65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2009 at 7:09pm
Before I went out and ordered both the prop shaft and strut I thought it might be a good idea to let some expert eyes look at the hardware. Here are various pictures of the strut, shaft and so forth. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2009 at 7:32pm
That silicone says the strut has been off before. I would pull it off and see if there are any shims under it; plus it needs to be remounted anyway. I also think you need a new cutlass bearing; looks like it is breaking down, and it shouldn't be inset on the one end.

It doesn't look far off. Probably no need for a new strut. Saving a little cash is always good if it works out!

The real experts will chime in...though for myself, I'm having a hard time keeping up these days; much less trying to help. I'm sure many are grateful.   LOL   
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2009 at 7:43pm
To add, I haven't seen the cutlass set screws sticking out before. They're usually stripped and buried!   
1988 BFN-sold

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2009 at 10:23pm
Your pictures are pretty close up to really get a good look/line of sight from the aft end that may show a bent strut however, just as Greg has mentioned, struts can be shimmed/twisted to aligm the shaft with the shaft log/hull hole.

Before you go and get a new shaft, see if you can get or borrow a dial indicator. Pull the prop, clamp the dials base off to the strut and indicated aft towards the end of the prop taper. This will tell you if the shaft is bent aft of the strut. For a bend forward of the strut, you can use the dial or check it as part of the shaft/engine alignment procedure.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
mustang65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mustang65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2009 at 9:18pm
Loosend the strut and tried to put it in a position for easy prop rotation with no luck. Decided to purchased a new shaft and strut bushings through skidim. Vince was very helpful! Just waiting for arrival. In other posts its mentioned to put the strut in the oven and the bushings in the freezer for easier install. What temp should the strut be "baked" and for how long? Any other install tips? Any lube inside the strut bushings to allow the shaft to slide better?
mustang65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mustang65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2009 at 1:40am
Spent most of Saturday installing new shaft, straightend the twisted strut, installed new bushings and aligned engine. When finished I could spin the prop with 1 finger. Sunday drive produced a totally different boat. Quiet and smooth. Thanks to all the post and help! Any prop recommendations? Would like to get a little more power out of the hole. It has the original Federal 13x13??
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2009 at 8:27pm
Great job, that will save your tranny. lots of prop advice here, do a search and check out Delta prop, I hink they are a board sponsor. Why did the prop have all those washers? Stripped threads on the shaft? I think the nut just rides against the prop.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic