NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

floor replacement

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
rookie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: floor replacement
    Posted: July-26-2009 at 12:04pm
is there a sight or reference material available with the interior dementions ie; floor layout stringer placement, engine placement, rear panel measurments, sort of an assembly manual for ski nautiques. I am undergoing an extensive resto project and would like to rebuild "better than new" if possible..
thanks
dave
do it right the first time...
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2009 at 11:59am
Hey Rookie, welcome aboard!

Try an advanced search for stringer/stringer repair. There's a wealth of info on the topic here.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
rookie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2009 at 10:18pm
thanks very helpful
dave
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2009 at 1:11am
What boat do you have? Bill put together this site which talks alot about the epoxy side of it. Not to many details on dimensions but I have a lot of pictures of my rebuild if that will help. Bill's site:

http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks/
ryanowen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryanowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2009 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by rookie rookie wrote:

is there a sight or reference material available with the interior dementions ie; floor layout stringer placement, engine placement, rear panel measurments, sort of an assembly manual for ski nautiques.

Not that I know of. If there is, I'm going to be pretty bummed out that I missed it.

Are you starting with just a shell? If not, your best bet is just to completely document the disassembly with pictures and measurements.
rookie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2009 at 9:50am
the pics and ref sites have been extremely helpful..I also found a local guy in his 70's that has done boat repair a large portion of his life and he has proven very helpful.
thus far I have stripped all the old sringers and foam for the boat and have my patterns made for the new ones.
I am documenting as suggested and I believe after seeing the junk that correct craft slapped in the hull of this (78 nautique)I will have a far superior boat when completed.
#one thing i've learned so far...don't take shortcuts like pouring in epoxy or sea cast instead of ripping out and replacing..not if your keeping the boat and want it to last.
#2 fiberglass covered in resin is not waterproof..you must gel-coat the floor and all exposed surfaces prior to foaming or she will rot again!
thanks for all the help
dave
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2009 at 9:59am
Dissing CC's won't get you far on this forum. They did leave a few things to be desired, but...   

#1, you're dead on!

#2 epoxy will help!

Welcome aboard.
1988 BFN-sold

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2009 at 11:24am
#3, dont foam it lol
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2009 at 12:59pm
#4- Don't listen to Eric unless your transmission needs work. Ask Moorfoot what mine sounds like.

On the serious side, ask Tim about the height of my platform above the water.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2009 at 1:50pm
dont worry Greg, you'll lose a half an inch a year on the platform
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2009 at 6:52pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Sounds like you're well equipped to measure that for us?     
1988 BFN-sold

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2009 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Dissing CC's won't get you far on this forum. They did leave a few things to be desired, but...   

#1, you're dead on!

#2 epoxy will help!

And CPES!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-03-2009 at 12:30am
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Sounds like you're well equipped to measure that for us?     

And I thought my problem was that cold Gl water......another problem solved by C/CFAN friends!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
rookie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2009 at 2:39am
didn't mean to take an realized unwise shot at C.C. but they did cut a lot of corners ...like extra support and bracing, especially under the rear panel.. don't get me wrong I love the boats this is my first project however.
I have a 1977 mustang as well she's pretty solid but if you look close.......
sorry about the comment more frustration than hatred..
rookie
Kristof View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kristof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2009 at 5:50am
Originally posted by rookie rookie wrote:

sorry about the comment more frustration than hatred...

Don't sweat it... I'm pretty sure that all the ones that have tackled the stringer job on this forum had one or two of those moments during their project
But in the end, we all love our CC's!!
- Gun control means: using BOTH hands!
- Money doesn't make one happy, but when it rains cats and dogs, it's still better to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle...

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2009 at 11:44am
Not to worry, just a heads up.

It mostly upsets those who haven't done their stringers yet.   
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2009 at 10:01am
duct tape, staple gun, and elmers glue seemed to be the product of choice in the 80's
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2009 at 12:49pm
Lol that is almost true. God knows I found about 15 - 2" staples up and down my old stringers when I removed them.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2009 at 4:06pm
and a spongy like substance that held water
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic