NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mechanic near Raleigh, NC

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jdmack0208 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdmack0208 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mechanic near Raleigh, NC
    Posted: July-30-2009 at 12:16am
Does anyone know a GOOD boat mechanic near Jordan Lake/Harris Lake Raleigh area that has a good turn around time and actually cares about their customers. If you do please send me an email to mccormickj@jdi.socom.mil I will take a guy who can come to my house in Hope Mills, NC or someone I have to take it to. I just want my boat fixed and on the water.

Reason for ranting is boat has been at the mechanic for 3 weeks and I have only had two hours of work on it and he says it is not running right. Any suggestions you can give would be great.

Josh
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2009 at 12:57am
I will tell you that I do not recommend Choplin just before entering Sanford. Had them do some work on my fishing boat and it cost me a forture in hours.
Where is the boat now. Hope Mills is not that close to Jordan Lake.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdmack0208 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2009 at 1:01am
No it's not and unfortuately thats where I have to go to take the boat out. I was told to stay away from Chatlee and Choplin. Right now it is at Waynes Boat repair in Fayetteville, http://waynesboatandmotor.tripod.com/

Took it there because it was close to home but the guy doesn't seem to want to work on my boat.
mndanielsncsu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mndanielsncsu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2009 at 1:20am
White Lake isn't too far from Fayetteville. I'm not sure how backed up they are, but it's probably worth giving them a call. If they were closer, I'd drive my boat to them because I think they're up front and honest.

A lot of guys on End of Rope Gang (www.endofropegang.com) recommend a mobile mechanic. If you get on there and do some searching you might get a few more ideas.
1993 Sport Nautique - sold May 2010
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2009 at 1:24am
What kind of problem are you having with the motor ?
I work on my own motors and my 26 year old son works with me much of the time. He is pretty good with motors, both auto and marine.
If you want to give him a call, let me know and I will give you his number.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdmack0208 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2009 at 1:29am
Well at first it was bogging down and wouldn't go over about 10 and it got hot. So now the impeller has been replaced and the carb adjusted(was a problem with the choke). But when the guy started it he said it was backfiring through the carb and it was noisy on the top end. He said it sounded like a valve was stuck open or not closing all the way and exhaust was recirculating through it. I would just like someone to listen to it and help me work on it or something. It shouldn't be that hard right? I just don't know enough about motors to go tearing that far in to one.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2009 at 4:44am
Did this guy ever pull the heads? what did he find? He seems to work on the slow side, but so far seems honest and havent tried to grab money from you? are you sure you've had the correct approach to this issue?
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdmack0208 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2009 at 4:51am
He never pulled the heads. After he got done with the carb and replacing the impeller he called and said the top end was noisy and told me about 2 hours of labor to pull the heads off and check the valves and adjust if needed. I thought no problem. That was a week and a half ago and he hasn't touched the boat. It has been three weeks and he has only done 2 hours of work. I haven't gotten rude with him, I am just looking for a good mechanic near me that I can take the boat to. At this pace I will get to put it in the water next summer.

Besides, I told him I needed it back by the 31st and he said would be no problem. Then today I go in there and he is wiring a pontoon boat. In my opinion finish one then move on to the next.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2009 at 5:05am
I totaly comprehend you, but many guys on those shops are somehow quite boheme, they dont like clients to call things like "I need it by then or then", it takes quite a skill to negotiate with them, it's not only a matter of being polite sometimes. At least he's been honest on the time he worked on the boat, or hasnt pulled it all apart and leave it in pieces.

Many times you will walk into another shop where they will treat you with professionalism, and will overcharge you on labour, parts, if they do not tell you that something is unfixable or try to sell you something you dont really need.

It's the kind of things one is exposed when you dont have a confident mechanic and dont know the matters on stake.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdmack0208 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2009 at 3:11am
Ok I got the boat back, if any of you NC guys like cold beer/soda/sweet tea and pizza let me know the day and I will throw a help me fix my boat party. If not my barage of questions shall be forthcoming over the next few weeks.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2009 at 9:12am
Isn't Race City Marine in that area?
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2009 at 10:07am
100.00 bill, goes a long way......
"the things you own will start to own you"
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdmack0208 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2009 at 10:40am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

100.00 bill, goes a long way......

Is that an offer cause I got all weekend and I just got paid!
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2009 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

About 3 hours west of the BBC.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2009 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by critter critter wrote:

Yeah NC isn't the smallest state out there, but if a man has all weekend and just got paid he might want to give Matt Santomenna at Race City Marine a call (704)-488-7044 and see how busy they are looking over that way. Not that White lake and certainly Roger and Son if available aren't great options, its just hard to rule out anything that will get you boating sooner summer is short!
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2009 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Originally posted by critter critter wrote:

Yeah NC isn't the smallest state out there, but if a man has all weekend and just got paid he might want to give Matt Santomenna at Race City Marine a call (704)-488-7044 and see how busy they are looking over that way. Not that White lake and certainly Roger and Son if available aren't great options, its just hard to rule out anything that will get you boating sooner summer is short!

Thanks for the positive comments Joe. Preparing to replace the roof on the Motorhome this weekend. I think that I have my hands full.

I must agree that calling Race City Marine is a great idea.
If Reid, Jerry, Matt and team are just hanging out this weekend, they could have a direction and solution pretty quickly after gaining access to the boat. Well worth the phone call.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2009 at 3:26pm

Not that White lake and certainly Roger and Son if available aren't great options, its just hard to rule out anything that will get you boating sooner summer is short!

Joe, Down he're in da south we be ski'n til way in oktober. Da water iz stil purty warm an we ain't gotta wear no stinkin wet suit etha'
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2009 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Joe, Down he're in da south we be ski'n til way in oktober. Da water iz stil purty warm an we ain't gotta wear no stinkin wet suit etha'

Jealous   
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2009 at 4:12pm
Tim , gotta agree,BUT............
We only have two seasons down here SUMMER and FALL

SPRING and WINTER seem to have been lost, maybe we do not have the room.SUMMER last's for 10 month's followed by 2 month's of SPRING.We have to drive North for the cooler temp's.........
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2009 at 4:48pm
I don't care how late summer ends, if it ends then it is short!
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2009 at 9:56am
No Jd, I had a bottem half of an outdrive POS, and a kid wanted it, i told him he could buy it for 150 and if he wanted i could put it on in a week or so...he said I'll give you 250.00 cash if you do it today...my to do list changed that very minute
"the things you own will start to own you"
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2009 at 3:01am

I don't care how late summer ends, if it ends then it is short!

When summer is done up there come on down and visit me and Eddie...summer never ends here...

You gotta bring that blue beast tho...I was telling Eddie about GL and could not describe the sound of your motor.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic