Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Emergency cutoff switch

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Ken View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Emergency cutoff switch
    Posted: August-14-2009 at 6:02pm
I have a 1998 Nautique 351 engine. I always make sure the engine starts before I go to the lake, and sure enough it did. I got to the lake and started the boat. Started ran for 1 second and shut down. I repeated this several times. Start, 1 second run , shut down. Then it wouldn't start. I don't recall if this happened before or after it dawned on me that I had not put the lanyard in the cutoff switch. I put the lanyard in, but I could not get the engine to fire. Waited 30 minutes and still would not fire. Fuel pump was engaging at key turn but no ignition. Pulled it out and went home. The next morning it started fine. Is there some kind of circuit breaker that might have kick in when I repeatedly tried to run it without the lanyard in place? Any other ideas?
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2009 at 6:29pm
It was probably flooded. Did you pull the knob out and give it full throttle?

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2009 at 6:35pm
Ken,
Welcome to the site. I know we can help you out here. It does sound like a lanyard safety switch problem.

Do you have a volt/ohm meter and how are you with basic electricity? You need to check the lanyard safety switch on the backside to see if the switch is closing. This is done with the ohm meter. Disconnect one of the wires on the switch, touch both terminals with the test leads and you should get a near zero reading if good with the lanyard plugged in.

If you don't have the meter, I highly recommend getting one. A basic cheap meter is about $25. Testing before just changing out a bunch of parts will pay for it in short time. Besides, the meter is handy around the car and house too. They do come with basic instructions.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Ken View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2009 at 7:43pm
Thanks for your reply. I do have a volt/ohm meter, but I don't think that is the problem. If the cutoff switch were the problem I don't think that the fuel pump would be engaging after I replaced the lanyard and it still wouldn't start. I took the lanyard off and no fuel pump, I put the lanyard back on and now fuel pump but no fire. Still confused. Ken
Ken View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2009 at 7:55pm
Behindpropeller
I thought about flooding, but didn't know how to give it full throttle. I have fuel injection and the engine won't turn over unless the throttle is in the neutral position. What do you mean by pulling out the knob. I think there is something here that I am not aware of. I used to have an outdrive where I could disengage the transmittion and give it carburator throttle by pulling the whole shift level outward but my tique doesn't seem to operate the same way. Is there something you can do with the knob?

Ken
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2009 at 8:03pm
It should be a silver knob in front of your shifter. When the lever is at 12 o'clock, pull it straight out and use the throttle like you want to back up. AKA-neutral throttle.

If '98s don't have the morse control, I will be corrected.   
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2009 at 8:33pm
They do have that control knob but it's color and location varies by year. My '04 has a black plastic knob within the base of the throttle lever. If you didn't know it's there, you wouldn't see it! It also pulls out to allow throttle (rearward) in neutral.

My bet is the throttle position was not completely in neutral when trying to restart. I've have situations with the old Morse and new throttles that the throttle is not at dead center and there is no start. Center the throttle and it goes without a skipped beat ....... it is esp. likely to happen when foolin' around with the cut-off lanyard. Hope it is that straight-forward for ya'
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2009 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by Air206 Air206 wrote:

They do have that control knob but it's color and location varies by year. My '04 has a black plastic knob within the base of the throttle lever. If you didn't know it's there, you wouldn't see it! It also pulls out to allow throttle (rearward) in neutral.

My bet is the throttle position was not completely in neutral when trying to restart. I've have situations with the old Morse and new throttles that the throttle is not at dead center and there is no start. Center the throttle and it goes without a skipped beat ....... it is esp. likely to happen when foolin' around with the cut-off lanyard. Hope it is that straight-forward for ya'

Sounds to me like he can still crank. If you are not tripping the Neutral Safety Switch then it will not even crank. The description in the first post is exactly what it does when the saftey lanyard is pulled. How many people have you ever seen wear the safety lanyard???

Tim

Ken View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-14-2009 at 8:58pm
I want to thank you all for your help. I'll have some things to look at when I get home. This is a great community and I appreciate everyone's insight.

Ken
jdkenyon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdkenyon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2009 at 3:00pm
I had the same problem a couple years back when I got to the water. Turned out to be a failed safety lanyard switch.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic