Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sport nautique differences

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
bwake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sport nautique differences
    Posted: August-16-2009 at 3:55am
Hi there,

Im down here in New Zealand and am looking at purchasing a Sport Nautique from the US to use wakeboarding.

Ive done plenty of reading on them, and they seem to be a sharp reliable boat.

Few questions im interested in.

The 89-95??? run a 240hp PCM Ford Carburetted engine? How are these on fuel when loaded?

The 95+ runs a PCM GT40 Fuel injected engine? Should i try and look for one of these instead due to reliability and fuel consumption or is there little difference?

The earlier model doesnt have a duckboard (and rear locker) either? What year did this change? Does it make much of a difference when using the boat?

Any other year change details would be great as im unsure whether a 91 would be fine, or if i should spend more and get a new model boat?

Bearing in mind this recession at the moment, what should a good Sport 95 with about 350 hours on the clock go for? Likewise a 91 etc.

If im also looking to purchase from California what is likely to be the best few months to buy in (i presume winter, but what are they)?

Any information would be appreciated.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2009 at 10:25am
Bwake - I recommend a '93 or newer, soley for the composite stringers. Take your time & you will find the right boat. Gas consumption is about the same on all the years, 3-4 gallons per hour. You can minimize fuel usage by staying out of the secondaries (on a carb version anyway!).
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
bwake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2009 at 5:03am
Hi thanks for your post.

Do the <93's have wooden stringers like the older 2001 series of boats?

What should a good one go for and when do you think is a good time to buy?
WLKONH2O View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WLKONH2O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2009 at 1:13am
I have a friend with a 2000 Sport Nautique with a GT40 with about 350 hours on it that is interested in selling. Let me know if you are interested and I will get you some more information. Do you need a trailer?
WLKONH2O <><
96 Ski Nautique
Race City Marine
Inboard Parts & Repair
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2009 at 1:21am
You'll like the GT-40
...those who have fallen and those who will.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2009 at 2:17am
Definitely go with the GT-40, its a great power plant. The locker/trunk/bonnet in back is awesome. Its great storage for coolers, towels, etc or a great place to put ballast. I believe 98 was the first year for that. 98 is also first year for TSC (Total Surface Control) hull. It throws a beautiful slalom wake. With the right ballast and tower you can shape a nice wakeboard wake too.

If you go older, definitely go with something that does NOT have wooden stringers.

US winters are Dec through March, but California climate is pretty warm in the winter months (at least compared to the -20 to -30 degree C we see here in the WI...
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-19-2009 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by bwake bwake wrote:

Do the <93's have wooden stringers like the older 2001 series of boats?
?

Yes, <'93 have wood stringers.
bwake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2009 at 8:01am
Thanks guys for all the informaton. Im really looking to spend in the 10/15k sort of mark as by the time the boat gets back here it costs around double that mark.

94 was the first year the GT40 came out wasnt it?

WLKONH2O- I do need a trailer thanks, and ideally need the seller to be able to drop it to California as interstate shipping is as expensive as sending it down here.

Thanks also for mentioning the winter months. Our summer here is around October to March with the boat being 16 days on the water, so i can time up my sleeve to find a nice condition low hour boat.

Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic