NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

91 SN shaft strut help!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 91 SN shaft strut help!
    Posted: August-27-2009 at 1:18am
Got a buddy with a 91 SN. He recently slammed into a massive under-water monster and smoothed every blade on his prop and also BENT the strut that holds his drive-shaft in place. Yes, strut that holds the shaft. It is damn near an inch out of alignment. Has this ever happened to anyone? I have never heard of it and of course was not with him to yell at him after he did it...lol So...now we are trying to pull the strut off of the hull and having difficulties getting the screws out to pull it off. Anyone have any tips?
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2009 at 2:48am
Strut is through bolted with nuts on the opposite side, FYI.

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-27-2009 at 6:52pm
as said above .. you wiil need two persons one on the boat to secure the nut so when unbolting fron the bottom those nut don´t turn loose...did i made myself clear?
once all the bolts are off you will need to hit the strut until it will come off, as it might by glued to the hull with sealant...
as for the strut they can be straightened..there was a post here were someone even fabricated a a frame and with an hydraulic jack he fixed the strut...
search it here and you´ll find it...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2009 at 12:55am
Some of the better prop shops can straighten out the strut. If the strut is glue down there is a method or using a hot wire to cut the glue. I can not remember the exact process, but do a search on bent strut and it will pop up. Go to the advance search functions to set it for the longest search. It is either 6 or 12 months. The standard search does not go too far back.
sandstpf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandstpf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2009 at 9:15pm
Using another prop shaft through the strut (to bend it back) when it is removed can straighten it. Being accurate is another story. I had a similar problem with my '91 Nautique but the bend on mine was very minimal. If you remove the strut try bolting it to a wall or something very heavy to attempt bending it back. Only a suggestion though, because if your strut is bent over an inch you may want to take it to a shop.
Finally a 2001!!!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2009 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by sandstpf sandstpf wrote:

Using another prop shaft through the strut (to bend it back) when it is removed can straighten it. Being accurate is another story. I had a similar problem with my '91 Nautique but the bend on mine was very minimal. If you remove the strut try bolting it to a wall or something very heavy to attempt bending it back. Only a suggestion though, because if your strut is bent over an inch you may want to take it to a shop.

I highly recommend that you do NOT try to straighten the strut on the boat using anything to apply force/leverage. Get it off the boat and into a arbor press. Don't half a$$ it!!

Chris,
Wasn't it you who had some pictures of you using a press to straighten a strut? Looking for a link!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2009 at 1:28am
It took me awhile to find it too!

Straightening fixture
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
sandstpf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandstpf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-30-2009 at 2:32pm
Second thought probably not a good idea. Pete is right bending without a press is not a good idea. I saw that method of straightening suggested on here a while ago and tried it. It worked for me, but my strut did not need much adjustment. Correct, don't half a$$ it!   
Finally a 2001!!!
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2009 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

I highly recommend that you do NOT try to straighten the strut on the boat using anything to apply force/leverage.

Haha, I'm picturing someone with a 10 foot cheater ball with 3 of his buddies hanging on it trying to straighten a strut only to rip a basketball size hole in the bottom of the hull.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2009 at 8:20pm
It took a high force with those bottle jacks to move it. Definitely would crack the fiberglass!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2009 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

It took a high force with those bottle jacks to move it. Definitely would crack the fiberglass!

Bronze does work harden (get harder when bent) but it's always amazed me the amount of force needed to straighten something out after being bent. You'd think hitting a log or rock in the water would do hull damage. Sometimes it does.

BTW, Yes, I do have a friend who did use a cheater bar method in a pinch, a bunch of his friends jumping on it to straighten his strut. However, it was on his 24' Chis wood hardtop sedan twin screw. Wood gives more than glass!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic