NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

pylon ring removal

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2010 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Troy,
When you say the complete pylon is turning when you twist the ring/finger, the lower mount must be loose. Take a closer look and get back to us.

Just as Chris mentioned above, you need to get some upward pressure besides the twisting.

I guess if it's the whole pylon, I assumed it was just the ring and finger, but hope the five bolts are removed on the lower section of the pylon otherwise sounds like the floor is damaged now and the one bolt is sheared off in the bilge.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2010 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by tedrowtown tedrowtown wrote:

To remove the pylon, do you just lossen the four bolts and it just pulls out?

At the very bottom of the Pylon, there should be a bolt that keeps the Pylon from spinning. If just the ring and finger are spinning you need to apply upward force like Chris and Pete said. I had to use a come-a-long to pull mine out while I twised.

If you remove the four bolts and the bolt that is at the very bottom you can remove the entire pylon. There is a metal male tab that is fiberglassed to the hull of the bottom that it sits on. The thru bolt secures it to the male tab.

I hope this helps.

Donald
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2010 at 4:55pm
It's actaully a female socket glassed to the hull and a male pin on the bottom of the pylon.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2010 at 4:58pm
Chris,

Thanks, you are correct and confusing Male and Female parts is not a mistake that I want to make. LOL !!

Donald
tedrowtown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tedrowtown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2010 at 5:02pm
So if the whole pylon is spinning, I have a serious issue?
Troy
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2010 at 5:15pm
They may have started adding the bolt that goes through the pin around '80, but neither my '78 Tique nor our '79 BFN had one. Its quite possible that CC was inconsistent.

If the pylon is spinning, then the bolt is not in the socket, no big deal. Chris, enlighten us- what 5 bolts are you talking about? I cant think of anything that would cause damage from spinning. His '84 should not have a flange on the pylon that bolts through the floor like the earlier boats.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2010 at 5:27pm
mine had a flange welded to the pylon and 4 countersink headed screws went through that with a plate under the deck and then there was another bolt cross pined thru the female socket and male pin on the pylon. I guess I missed the year and was going by how it was on mine. If it has an engine craddle then It's little different and the pylon is clamped through the front of the craddle or at least it was on the 81, thought we where discussing a 77.
tedrowtown View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tedrowtown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2010 at 5:30pm
Do you have to just loosen the bolts or do you have to take them al the way out?
Troy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic