NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What yr did they stop wooden stringers?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jmesser View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmesser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What yr did they stop wooden stringers?
    Posted: September-26-2009 at 3:00pm
I'm back in the boat hunt. I want to steer well clear of wooden stringer rot. That said, no wood is fine with me. Can anyone shed some light on when Correct Craft stopped construction with wooden stringers? I'm looking at Ski Nautiques only..maybe even a bow rider. Any info would be appreciated!

Johnnie
Johnnie Messer
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2009 at 3:15pm
All fiberglass construction started in 1993. Everyone on this site advocates, that if you're looking for a boat in the 90-96 vintage/price range, that its worth it to do what you have to do to get a 93 or newer so as to not worry about a stringer job sometime in your future.

You should stop by more often, four posts in five years is pretty sparce. Glad you found your way back. Good luck on the search.
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2009 at 5:02pm
75 Tique---Didn't you see his signature????
USCG

1993 SKI NAUTIQUE
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2009 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by MartyMabe MartyMabe wrote:

75 Tique---Didn't you see his signature????
USCG

Sure I did. I also looked up his old posts from 2004 and saw he was (stationed??) in Key West and was looking for a motor for a Fish Nautique. Doesn't sound too rough. That's not to say I am not fully aware of the fact that he may have been deployed elsewhere and that being in the CG is very risky business. I have a great appreciation for them. The local CG station here on the Cape makes the news regularly with their frequent rescues in the less than pleasant north atlantic. Have had occasion to meet a rescue jumper or two. Not fun work!! Key West, feasibly on drug traffic duty or illegal immigrant duty...yes...I appreciate what he's been up to.
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2009 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by jmesser jmesser wrote:

I'm back in the boat hunt. I want to steer well clear of wooden stringer rot. That said, no wood is fine with me. Can anyone shed some light on when Correct Craft stopped construction with wooden stringers? I'm looking at Ski Nautiques only..maybe even a bow rider. Any info would be appreciated!

Johnnie

Hi Johnnie,
Welcome back!
I would not be afraid of boats with wooden stringers. You just need to be real picky about the boat when you self apraise what you are looking at. That said, I have pulled apart many a 20-30 year old boat with absolutly no hint of rot in the floors or stringers. you can usally spot boats that have been keept indors in the winter and dry in the summers. Boats comming out of the south of the US are more likely to be rotted but western boats in Cali and AZ and climates that are dry are the ones that will provide the best chance of being sound and dry.
Actually their are a number of 91 and 92 Ski Nautiques out their with Composite stringers. They came out of the Sea worlds and a few team skiers boats. I have a 92 that was Deena's team boat with composite stringers.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
jmesser View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmesser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2009 at 8:30pm
I really appreciate the info, 93 and newer here I come.

Yep, I've been following the site since it first started. I actuallly sold two Fish Nautiques through the sale board here. I did an original post under messer or close to that name and then lost/forgot myself (this is a trait that some avid boaters can recognize of a life long Coast Guardsman, hah). My dad bought an 86 Master Craft the year I left for the Navy (not sure what to make of that still) but thats when I fell in love with the inboard comp skiers. As a kid I used to hear the neihbors way off when coming in with a 97 Ski and early 80's Southwind bowrider...Whoever invented mufflers for boats should be shot! So since I found the Guard I jumped into three Fish Natiques of which one went on a flight with hurricane Georges and now I must admit own a 84 American Skier (which I may have sold today). I am set to retire in just over a year and hope to have a nice Nautique in my arsenal of accumulated toys. ....I've babbled enough... enjoy being part of this community!
Johnnie Messer
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2009 at 1:46pm
Johnnie,
Are you still stationed down in Key West? One of my good friends son has been down there for about 6-8 months. Any chance you know a skinny young kid from SC named Sean?
jmesser View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmesser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2009 at 9:00pm
No sir, reluctantly I let them transfer me out of the keys...but if they offered me orders I'd be on the next plane. Any idea which billet sean has? Of course it could be the worst job in the world, but living in the keys makes up for it!
Johnnie Messer
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-06-2009 at 12:54pm
He is on the Kodiak Island....he seems to be enjoying himself, but what 19yo wouldnt living in Key West!
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2009 at 11:24am
I think it's a little colder in Kodiak then the Key's!!!!
Kodiak Island's in Alaska.
jmesser View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmesser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2009 at 12:52pm
I'm not sure which Island class boats are still there...but they are good billets. Young guys get to interdict drugs, Cuban migrants and conduct boardings in an area where it's just beautiful. I envy him.

Kodiak- been there... hope to never go back...unless global warming gets the weather to a nice condition!
Johnnie Messer
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2009 at 9:48pm
I've been to worst places than Kodiak during my 22 years in the military, in fact Kodiak would've been a vacation tour compared to where I've been sent.
jmesser View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmesser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2009 at 12:54am
I often thought about the lake and skiing while up there... While beating the decks with a louisville slugger to get the ice off, I thought about the warm glassy lake... while breaking the snot off my nose because it no longer ran but rather froze in those temps, I thought about the warm glassy lake...while diving from a small boat onto a wildly pithing and rolling crab boat skimming across the deck, hoping to stop before getting mangles, I thought about the warm glassy lake.

.....I'd hate to see where you've been....the Bearing Sea just put a damper on skiing.. but I do have a good picture of a buddy on two skis behind a 110ft patrol boat up there.
Johnnie Messer
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2009 at 1:24pm
I hear ya it sure can get cold up there.
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2009 at 11:10am
The name of the vessel is the Kodiak Island, and it is stationed in the Keys. But, you knew that!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-16-2009 at 11:24pm
I have lived here on the Fox River in Northern Illinois almost all my life. In the '70s my Parents bought a lot and built a house in Key Largo. You leave their canal on the gulf side,right by "the cut" and as you guys know, you can almost go to any point on the compass in beautiful water. Since then I feel that I live on a drainage ditch up here, but at least it's impossible to get lost!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
jp_over View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jp_over Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2017 at 3:35am
Old thread but great info - thanks!
jp_over View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jp_over Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2017 at 4:49am
Still good info; forgot that I had already posted.
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2017 at 1:52pm
Speaking of wood stringers, I seem to recall when a teenager Correct Craft having an ad in water ski magazine touting the better ride quality of a boat with wood stringers. I cannot find in any of the old water ski magazines online.

Anyone else remember this add or have a copy of it? Or, am I imagining things -- going Kookoo.
Hotty Toddy lets go skiing!
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2017 at 1:32pm
I don’t know if they went as far as having ads but wouldn’t doubt it, – There was an active argument for wood for a while. . I know at least as late as 2000 Tige was still talking about their pressure treated wooden stringers as being a selling point. The would have cross sections at the boat shows and in the brochures, they were giving lifetime warranties on the stringers and the argument was their stringers had the same build up as the competitors but the competitors were built over low grade foam while they were using the best treated wood on the market to make the boat more solid and quiet on the water.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
jp_over View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jp_over Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2017 at 3:53pm
Gentlemen - thanks for the excellent historic info! I had a 1986 2001 with wood stringers that never gave me an issue and as far as I know is still going strong.

It's interesting that these (wood stringers) were originally promoted as a selling point.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2017 at 5:21pm
I think Sanger still uses wood stringers
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2017 at 10:49pm
Paint your wood Blue and it will last longer
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2017 at 5:57pm
Look at the words in the brochure for 1993 - "Since the company's inception in 1925, the Meloon family has been installing wooden stringer systems in every Correct Craft built. Needless to say, the 1993 introduction of a fiberglass stringer system is a monumental step. Still, the founding family was hesitant to employ synthetic stringers until the met the quality achieved by the wooden system. The new Integrated Composite Stringer System (ICS)TM does just that. And this is why it is better than any other synthetic system available in the industry." There are a lot of words about noise, vibration and smooth ride. Go for a ride or drive in a "stars and stripes" MC and then take a ride in a 2001 model Nautique. You'll notice the difference right away.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2017 at 6:01pm
I remember and add in water ski magazine about the time Mastercraft ran the cut out add showing their composite stringers showing spray come off the bow touting superior construction and the ride benefits of wood. It could have been supra or another boat, but I thought it was a Ski Nautique add.

There are several old issues of water ski magazine available via google. However, there are some missing years.
Hotty Toddy lets go skiing!
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2017 at 7:05pm
Funny this comes up. I skied last Friday with some friends, 2 I have never skied with.
We were in my 95 running about a mile at 36 MPH going to our ski place.
I heard them talking to each other quietly.   When I asked what is up they said they noticed my Glass Strigers vibrate more than their boat does and they had heard in the past this was true.
I laughed and told them the boat was smooth as glass and vibration free before I slightly dinged the prop. Which is true. The vibration is almost undetectable but I know it is there and have not purchased a new prop yet. The guy that brought this up owns a early 80's Mastercraft.
He drove while I skied, his other comments also made me smile.
"Nautique uses Power Steering on these?"   I laughed, no they have good engineering.
"Man this sure cuts the wakes better than my Mastercraft"
"It sure turns better than my boat"
Man I like your wake, it is so much softer than mine.
All this made me happy. Good to know one ride plants the seeds for a new convert.
One of those skiing with us was 71 and a half.   he cut it up really well and told me to give it all I have pulling him up because he likes to pop out fast.
I was positive I would jerk his arms out but he popped up instantly and was out there laying it over like a 40 year old. He is my new hero.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic