Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hummingbird depth sounder

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Mal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hummingbird depth sounder
    Posted: October-04-2009 at 7:07pm
Hi all, I am a newbie on here living in the UK and having just bought my first CC, its a 99 Ski Nautique Masters Edition.
It rides great with only 314 hrs on the GT40 Pro Boss.
It has fitted a hummingbird depth sounder which seems to start reading from 7ft irrespective of how deep you are,(has just cost me a prop). Does anyone know if this was a standard fit and if so does anyone know how to reset it?
Great site and very informative.

Mal
tnplicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnplicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2009 at 9:37pm
Mal,

Welcome to the site and congratulations on your first CC. I have a HDR 600 in my '95 and I have never had to do anything to it (previous owner installed). I checked my manual to see if there is any way to calibrate it, but from the looks of things, there is no calibration required. I am attaching a link which should take you to the owners manual in the event you don't have the original.

You may want to check the the location and installation of the transducer and the keel offset setting (?). Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

http://www.humminbird.com/PDF/hdr600.pdf

Cheers,

TIm
Mal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-10-2009 at 6:50pm
Thanks for the reply Tim, doesn't seem to be anything there to help me adjust the depth, the transducer is glassed into the hull just next to where the base of the ski pole meets the hull, maybe i'll try and offset the adjustment against what would have been the keel offset.
I'll keeep you inoformed if it works.

Mal
tnplicky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tnplicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2009 at 1:51pm
There is no calibration, adjustment or re-setting of the depth as far as I can tell. It should be completely automatic. I only mentioned the keel offset in the event the previous owner had some rediculous number in there that would be giving you an incorrect reading.

Make sure all of the connections are good. If it is reading 7 ft regardless of the actual depth and everything else checks out OK, there may be something wrong with the unit itself.

A new depth finder is cheaper than a new prop!
oledawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oledawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2009 at 6:28pm
Well, my initial thought is that the transducer is installed in the wrong place. Should be directly on the hull with nothing between it and the water but the thickness of the hull itself. Also is supposed to have a little water slooshing around on it, which in most CC's is normally not a problem since most leak around the driveshaft somewhat. Check the manual to see what the mounting instructions say.   
"To profit from good advice requires more wisdom than to give it"
Kevin's '79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin's '79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2009 at 11:26am
I have a '97 Ski Nautique and the depth finder in it began only reading 4 ft. I replaced it with a new one and it began acting up in less than a year. I had to send mine back under warranty twice for replacement. I finally have one that has worked for over a year now. I had done some research and there seems to have been many problems with some of the Humminbird depth gauges. I'm finally satisfied with mine.
Mal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2009 at 7:07pm
Kevin,
Did you just change the head unit or the transduer as well??
Kevin's '79 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin's '79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2009 at 7:27pm
Mal,

When I bought mine the first time I put in a new transducer since it came with the unit. The two times I returned it to Humminbird I only sent the head units and that is all that was replaced. I think mine is an HDR610 now.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic