NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

camshaft and seals needed

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
rookie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: camshaft and seals needed
    Posted: January-08-2010 at 4:07pm
I am rebuilding a 78 sn and need a right hand turn cam and multidirectional seals for the 351w...any idea who still sells that stuff? it is a chain set up and not gear driven.
thanks
rookie
do it right the first time...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2010 at 4:21pm
For the cam, call Cam Research.
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2010 at 4:21pm
I think the cam can be ordered from Summit or Jegs online. Or you can order one from Research Cams if you are perking up the motor.
What seals ? Most seals are available from Napa or CarQuest Auto parts stores.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2010 at 5:34pm
I believe you need to make sure you have RR crank seals. Not the automotive ones.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2010 at 5:42pm
Marty helped me with the part numbers of the RR seals from CarQuest.
The important ones for RR are the Timing Chain Cover seal and the Rear main seal.

Skidim # 1139 = $75.81 (Rear Main)
Fel-Pro # BS-400-42 = $10.00 (Rear Main)
Victor # JV614 = $ 10.00 (Rear Main)
Fel-Pro # 17795 (Timing Cover Seal) = $20.00
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2010 at 5:55pm
Boat dr will have them too,

1-318-299-8547
Mike N

1968 Mustang

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2010 at 6:11pm
At some point, Ford switched from having directional seals and smooth cranks to universal seals and wick lines on the crank. Or is it the other way around? And what year did they switch? I think Ive read early 80's.

Either way, might want to verify which set up you have to make sure you order the right parts.
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2010 at 6:27pm
Good point Tim...
My 80 had the wick lines on the crank. I suspect that the 78 would also have the wick lines.
That would result in a smooth seal needed.
The part numbers above are for smooth seals.
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2010 at 8:48pm
Pretty sure the 1 peice r/main seal is 85 & newer. I looked all over, SECC sent me one for around $90. If anyone knows of a cheaper one, I'll take two for my other blocks.
When I bought my cam from Scott at Cam Research I also got a R/R gasket set - Not. He was great to work with let me keep the std. marine gasket kit AND sent me a windage tray for the hassel.

Cam Research = Good People.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

rookie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2010 at 9:52pm
thanks you guys are great... pat at marine engines reman. said that the the parts book called for directional seals but he did not have them. of the information offered who is a member as i would like to give my business to them first.
thanks
rookie
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2010 at 10:23pm
CorrectCraftParts...........Karen
        1-318-299-8547
rookie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2010 at 12:59am
boat dr ...is that a la. prefix? if so i can drive over and get what i need.
dave
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2010 at 1:06am
Thats Karens # Magic Jack............Mine is 1-318-386-2825
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic