Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Newbie of 84 SN 2001

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
merbesfield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merbesfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie of 84 SN 2001
    Posted: March-11-2010 at 3:28am
I just bought an 84 2001 from a guy on our lake. I looked at it and tested it last summer but the guy would not take my offer. I called to see if he sold it and he had not. So he took my offer. It is in dry storage now. I know next to nothing about it or boats. It ran great in the summer. So now I need to de-winterize it and make a few repairs. What I know it needs other than some cosmetic stuff is. I did check the engine bolts when I looked at it and they were all good and tight except for one.

1. Fuel gauge does not work.
2. Rt speedo does not work.
3. Probably has not been properly cared for in a while so change all stuff that could be a problem? yea I know, wide open.
4. Drivers seat bottom needs rebuild.
5. Rt corner of windshield frame is loose at hull.
6. Needs a battery. Which should I get, standard or an Optima type?
7. Hull needs to be buffed to get rid of oxidation and water stains.
8. Hour meter does not work.
9. Teak needs cleaning.
10. Rubber bushings on Tranny look dry rotted.
11. Black spray under engine cover? Think it is from one of the belts?
12. Cosmetic stuff, detail, etc.
13. Replace aluminum trim at edge of engine cover.
14. Can you convert these to electronic ignition using a Pertonix type setup?
Thanks for the help. Mark
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 4:40am
Your list made it sound terrible. Then I saw the photos, and the boat looks good.

Yes, you can convert to electronic ignition. I'm not the mechanic. Someone will be along who knows about that type of thing.

Welcome to the sight, and congratulations on your purchase.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merbesfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 11:12am
bkhallpass, yes the boat is nice, just used. I am a detail oriented guy with my cars/boats so the list is as through as I can make it. But the boat can be used now and hauls as#$%%ss. I figure for my fist ski boat it will be a good one. And it is a classic and I love classics, cars and boats.
bubbaskier View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bubbaskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 3:30pm
You will love that boat. I have been the proud owner of a 1984 SN2001 for about 17 years. My friend has a late model 1980 Mastercraft that he put electronic points in and has had troubles with coils ever since (I think that they have a high performance coil on the market to take care of the problem but he is too cheap to invest in one). I just replace the points in mine every 100 hours, no big thing.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 5:21pm
11. yes, its dust produced by misaligned belts.., most likely the one to the alternator.... normal issue in this engine.

14. yes you can convert but most here don´t like the petronix.. the concensus is for the mallory e-spark conversion.
Others will stick to the point bone dead..its your call!!!
I personally have a petronix II conversion in my 350 chevy vette, and I´m happy with it. My boat carries the protec ing junk that eventually I will retrofit to a dui style ign and coil...

As for the engine lag bolts well not to worry you but, if one is loose, there is something going on down there, might want to do some inspection...

<a href="">1992 ski nautique
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 6:08pm
That boat looks great, I agree with BKHall, your list made it sound really bad. Definitely belt dust like Kap said, make sure the belts are tight and not slipping along with his advice. The elect. ignition would be far down on my list...I running the original ignigtion (points) on our '85 and it runs great.

Buff out that gel and clean up the swim platform and that thing will be a beauty. Both processes are highly detailed on this website, probably in the Commons Questions Forum.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merbesfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 6:18pm
I have heard that if you go Pertronix, you need to use their coil. She started right up for me once I got a good battery in her so I will not worry about it for now. Just work on the details. How do you know if hoses etc. need replacing? Is there any kind of flushing of fluids that I should have performed since this boat is new to me? I think it has been left out in the cold as far as attention goes for the last few years. Seller got a new MC and this one became second fiddle. Now my baby.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merbesfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 6:20pm
PS, it's a done deal, but I paid $3,500.00. Was that a fair price? It fit my budget.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by merbesfield merbesfield wrote:

I think it has been left out in the cold as far as attention goes for the last few years. Seller got a new MC and this one became second fiddle. Now my baby.

As you friend if the boat was properly winterized
were are you located and how cold do it gets there during the winter...
Temp below 0 will freeze water inside the engine if it was not drained and eventually produce crack on the block....

Have you run the engine yet? did you check the oil after? how does it looks like? if its normal like you see on the car..then is ok..if its like a milk shake creamy you may need to do some work....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merbesfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by kapla kapla wrote:

I think it has been left out in the cold as far as attention goes for the last few years. Seller got a new MC and this one became second fiddle. Now my baby.

As you friend if the boat was properly winterized
were are you located and how cold do it gets there during the winter...
Temp below 0 will freeze water inside the engine if it was not drained and eventually produce crack on the block....

Have you run the engine yet? did you check the oil after? how does it looks like? if its normal like you see on the car..then is ok..if its like a milk shake creamy you may need to do some work....

I only meant figuratively that it had been left out in the cold. I has been properly winterized every winter by local boat guy. I meant this boat had become not as important to the owner. He had a new MC to play with.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 6:50pm
Gotcha

C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 6:51pm

PS, it's a done deal, but I paid $3,500.00. Was that a fair price? It fit my budget.

That's a good price on that boat, especially if it runs great.

For the hoses, I'm sure some of the guys who love spending money will say to replace them if they don't look brand new.   I say, if they're not leaking, leave them on there. I would definitely do an oil change and tranny fluid change, and check the alignment of the engine/trans/prop shaft.   Plenty of threads on that process as well.
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2010 at 11:25pm
Great Price for that boat.

Nice Purchase

Donald
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2010 at 1:07pm
if the hose's are bulging or look swollen by the connection/port or look weather checked or cracked replace them, if there is a soft walled hose where a wire reinforced hose should be replace it. if it looks in anyway questionable replace it.

all in all from the pictures they don't look too bad with the exception of the exhaust hose looks like there is tape on it that shouldn't be So to me they are questionable at best. The hose from the pick-up to tranny cooler looks like a soft walled hose if you can pinch it and it feels like a radiator hose it's not wire reinforced and needs replaced.

So visually it looks like you need to replace the pick-up hose from the RWP to tranny cooler to hull pick-up, also the exhaust hose from the mainfold to the muffler on both sides.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2010 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

the exhaust hose looks like there is tape on it that shouldn't be So to me they are questionable at best.

It looks more like clear plastic to me... almost like whoever installed them didnt remove the packaging/shipping materials first! The hoses themselves look fine, almost like theyre pretty darn new. Of course, pictures can be deceiving.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merbesfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2010 at 3:43pm
Can anyone help me with the correct battery. I have searched and cannot find the info here although I know it exists. I want to buy a Gel battery but do not know what size is best. Trying to buy it today. Thanks
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-05-2010 at 1:52pm
Might be a little late, but make sure you get a battery with enough CCA. Many times the gel batteries are deep cycle, not starting batteries. A Group 65 battery should fit in that box nicely.
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2010 at 1:58am
I just purchased a NAPA marine battery I think it was 850 cca.for about $100 after rebate. Nothing worse than being "dead in the water" Get lots of cca,the extra investment is worth it. When my son was young I owned a bayliner with a cheap battery. He had a toy truck, boat and trailer and would launch it on the livingroom rug (lake). Then he would turn the truck around and drive it up to the boat. I finaly asked what are you doing? He said I am jump starting the boat.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2010 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by OverMyHead OverMyHead wrote:

I just purchased a NAPA marine battery I think it was 850 cca.for about $100 after rebate. Nothing worse than being "dead in the water" Get lots of cca,the extra investment is worth it. When my son was young I owned a bayliner with a cheap battery. He had a toy truck, boat and trailer and would launch it on the livingroom rug (lake). Then he would turn the truck around and drive it up to the boat. I finaly asked what are you doing? He said I am jump starting the boat.

LOL kids learn quick HUH?
skicat2001 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2010 at 9:04pm
Thats a good looking Nautique.. I work more on the outside of the boat tho. A little TLC and you will be ready for spring..
1985 CC 2001-SOLD
Lee Michael Johnson

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merbesfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-26-2013 at 11:01pm
Been a while since I have posted. Boat has run flawlessly. I de-winterized today and changed the oil. My raw water strainer seal has a split and the top has a chip. It has been like this since I bought it. Lid says Vetus. Does anyone know if I can buy a new smoked acrylic lid and a seal. Obviously not super I pt but figured I would post. Maybe this year I will do,something about my pitot tubes and getting my speedos to work.
steinjt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steinjt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2013 at 9:35am
Can't help with your question but just noticed you are on Rabun. We have a house up in the narrows. Been going up there since I was a kid. Absolutely love it up there. I'll have to keep an eye out for your boat next time we're up there.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote merbesfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2013 at 11:58am
We are in the narrows as well. No wake zone past old marina. Paved road side Stone column house up hill.
steinjt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steinjt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2013 at 4:46pm
We're off Bear Gap, in that cove across from the old Beach Store. The boathouse being built at the beginning of the cove is my sister. We are the brown house next door. Used to stay in those old cabins right there past flat creek when I was a kid.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic