NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rudder Question...

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rudder Question...
    Posted: April-14-2010 at 12:22pm
Hey gang,

spun the steering wheel around while the boat was on the trailer and noticed a little vibration/odd noise coming from the rudder so I went back and grabbed it and there is a VERY small amount of "play" in it...it appears that all hardware is nice and tight yet but is there some sort of bushing in the hull that the rudder shaft would be in that is bad? Had one rudder fall out on me on a friends sport (due to a mechanic not tightening it) and it's no fun lol Thanks!!!

-Mike
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2010 at 1:29pm
Your boat is fine.

The one that fell out was not because it was not tight but because the retaining screw on the top of the rudder was not installed.

Tim

mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2010 at 1:44pm
Cool, does it matter if it has more play than it did last season? lol That's the only reason I was concerned. But yea, pin is there, nut is tight...should be ok I spect...
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2010 at 1:50pm
How do you know if it had more play? Did you put a DTI on it?

mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2010 at 1:52pm
I can just tell.....I know the boat extremely well. Definitely wasn't like that last year. I'm 100% positive on that...
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2010 at 2:13pm
push the rudder up and then adjust the packing gland and your play will be gone.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2010 at 2:18pm
Sweet, will do. Thanks guys.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2010 at 3:15pm
Pushing the rudder up won't do anything for you. If the packing isn't leaking it doesn't need tightened.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2010 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by behindpropeller behindpropeller wrote:

Pushing the rudder up won't do anything for you. If the packing isn't leaking it doesn't need tightened.

why don't you lossening your packing gland and watch the rudder fall until it hits the tiller arm then and tell me it has nothing to do with it.

the bore can be wollered out at the top and bottom some so if it dropped a little, play is interduced. But do what you want I don't care.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2010 at 3:29pm
No.

The packing does not hold the rudder up. It may hold it up for a few minutes but once you move the rudder a few times it falls back down to where the steering arm is holding it. Thats why there is a brass washer in between the tiller arm and the rudder housing. The packing is a seal, not a bearing surface.

Until you have a scientific way of measuring it...saying it is loose is useless.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2010 at 3:59pm
funny how mine always had a gap between the tiller arm and the top washer, guess I did a piss poor job adjusting it or maybe not.

so where is all the wear on the rudder shaft going to occure at? top, bottom, middle, or the top and bottom equally? how is the load applied to the rudder while in a straight line, how about when it's turned slightly?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2010 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by 79nautique 79nautique wrote:

funny how mine always had a gap between the tiller arm and the top washer, guess I did a piss poor job adjusting it or maybe not.

Mine does too.

The washer above the tiller arm keeps the rudder from falling out if the tiller is loose on the rudder.

The brass washer below the tiller arm keeps the arm from scraping on the rudder housing.

The seal is correctly tightened when it leaks approx 1 drip per minute, not when the rudder is tight. Tightening the packing beyond that will just make the packing wear out faster and make the rudder harder to turn.

Go ahead an tighten the packing down....it makes no difference to me.

mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2010 at 4:29pm
Can someone sum up the your guys' argument for me? lol I need an outside source... :)
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2010 at 6:16pm
after about one more page of back and forth and you should be fine. You may want to specify if your play is vertical or horizontal.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2010 at 6:19pm
I think it's more horizontal. I will go play with it a little bit tonight, the rudder that is, and see if I can't figure something out. It just seemed a little big more wiggly than in the past.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2010 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by emccallum emccallum wrote:

after about one more page of back and forth and you should be fine. You may want to specify if your play is vertical or horizontal.

Just wait.... '79 is pulling his gas tank right now to take a look.   

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2010 at 9:55pm

The seal is correctly tightened when it leaks approx 1 drip per minute, not when the rudder is tight. Tightening the packing beyond that will just make the packing wear out faster and make the rudder harder to turn.

Go ahead an tighten the packing down....it makes no difference to me.

Tim,
You are definitely confused with the packing tightness. You're thinking about the prop shaft log which is rotating and the FPM requires the water lubrication. The rudder stuffing you can clamp down real tight without a problem. Even with the old graphite packing you'll get plenty of lubrication.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2010 at 12:03pm
Pete-

The point is that the packing is only a seal. It does not retain the rudder shaft. Additionally, it is not the bearing surface for the rudder shaft. Tightening packing will not fix the problem of a worn out rudder housing or rudder shaft.

If Matt really thinks he has a problem with his rudder being loose he needs to remove the rudder, check the bore diameter and then check the shaft diameter on the rudder shaft. I don't know what the tolerance is on them but I'm sure CC does.

Personally....I doubt he has a problem.

I will make sure to tighten the rudder packing to where it does not leak, but not beyond that.

Tim

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2010 at 12:28pm
Tim,
I agree and feel the same that Mike really doesn't have a problem. The rudder shaft to port bores have always been on the sloppy side. You can go under a brand new boat and find radial play on the shaft.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2010 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Tim,
I feel Mikes shaft on the sloppy side. You can go under and play on the shaft.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2010 at 1:21pm

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2010 at 3:10pm
so does the port ware evenly? does it ware more at the top? does it ware more at the bottom? does it ware equally along the bore?

When under load what are the contact points between the ruder shaft and the ports bore? What effect does the tiller arm have on these contact points.
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2010 at 3:13pm
So, I don't have a problem with my shaft? Just felt a little loose down there and wanted to be sure I got checked up ok. Don't want anything to be fallin off or not working for me in the future you know guys? Wait, I thought we were talking about the rudder!

hehehe
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2010 at 3:21pm

Originally posted by emccallum emccallum wrote:

Just wait.... '79 is pulling his gas tank right now to take a look.   

first off you don't have to remove the tank to get to it on a 70's or most 80's model either, well maybe you do, I never did, only needed to remove the removable pannel in the floor, rear seat and rear pannel behind the seat.

Yea the rope seals main job is to seal but it also performs another function as well, but hey never did much right on the old boat any way, but had a huge gap above the washer that rested on top of the packing gland and the bottom of the tiller arm. The washer on top of the tiller arm is flush with the top the arm since the key is only as thick as the arm is to start with so the only place to create a gap is below the tiller arm and if that washer below the tiller arm is what is holding up the rudder because it's flush with the bottom of the tiller arm and the top of the packing gland then you really don't have jack adjust correctly and are taking on much more water than you should be taking on. But what do I know.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic