Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - '01 SN: Engine starts for a second, then quits!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'01 SN: Engine starts for a second, then quits!

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '01 SN: Engine starts for a second, then quits!
    Posted: April-21-2010 at 11:34pm
My normally dependable '01 SN starts, then quits. The ignition is keyless: I punch the code, hit start, everything lights up, hit start again, the engine starts, then stops. No chugs, coughs, etc. Quits as suddenly as it starts.

Clue: I do not hear the fuel pump cycle up. At least I think it should. I swapped out the fuel pump relay with no change.

Any thoughts on diagnostics?

Boat ran good last month.
Got Foot?
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2010 at 11:37pm
check the fuel pump fuse too if there's one.

take the fuel pump line to a gas can and crank the engine see if it's pumping any fuel.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2010 at 11:41pm
Low pressure fuel pump. Acorn-shaped pump that feeds the FCC with fuel. Well-known achilles heel of these engines. Replace and have a great season!
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2010 at 12:47am
My '98 did that too. It was the dead man's switch not making good contact.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2010 at 12:59am
sometimes I forget these boats came with those switches... we call them "man overboard" around here.
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2010 at 1:13am
The lanyard takes out the fuel pump, that is why you don't hear it.
Mike N

1968 Mustang

LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2010 at 2:23am
You guys are freaking geniuses. The lanyard WAS on, though! I pulled it off, depressed the switch, put it back on. BANG! Back in the game. We will go footing this weekend as planned. Opening season ar Sheridan Oaks.

If I have read about the lanyard once on this forum I have read it 10,000 times. Duh!
Got Foot?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2010 at 2:30am
good To hear it was just that!!!

waiting for your cool vids Roy
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2010 at 2:34am
thanks Kapla. I have bee footing the last few months, but it has only been 2 of us. Andy (GlassSeeker) is out of the area in training to become a Game Warden, so I have no photographer. Our ski club is now open, so that means my daughter can shoot the videos. SacFooter is back in the Game.

How's your footing and (el profesor's) going?
Got Foot?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2010 at 2:42am
improving..I am solo now and taking the kind advise guys give me here!!!
I´am succesfully doing deeps from the short line in the boom.
Check my vids in youtube..last ones are in this thread

gone footing
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2010 at 3:04am
Kapla: You are looking really good! Much improvement. Looks like you are getting smothe water too. That helps! Couple of ideas:

1. When you are riding your butt, get some bend in your knees. You stab your feet into the water with straight legs.
2. Get your heels as close to your butt as possible when you plant yout feet.
3. When you plant, don't pull back on the handle, let your arma out.

When you are up, you have real nice feet and form. You are relaxed. Nice one hand too.

Before the season ends there get behind the boat on the long line. That is where the action is. Also turn the speed up to 41 or 42 and try some one-foots. You are ready. Nice job footer!

Here's a video that will pump you up from a clinic I was in with Andre de Villiers:

Footing with Andre
Got Foot?
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2010 at 11:04am
ttt!!!
I haven't been able to take those tips yet as I haven't foot since that last vid..
I learned after a bad scorpion to only foot in calm waters!!!
Those were filmed in a small river that is not for skiing, and people in the dck were angry when we passed wot with the boat...
about my bent arm it couse driver was going to slow and i'm struggling not to submerge..lol
andre makes bf look so easy!! I really love when he glides with the open feet!!!

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2010 at 11:44am
Originally posted by LakeBoy LakeBoy wrote:

You guys are freaking geniuses. The lanyard WAS on, though! I pulled it off, depressed the switch, put it back on. BANG! Back in the game. We will go footing this weekend as planned. Opening season ar Sheridan Oaks.

If I have read about the lanyard once on this forum I have read it 10,000 times. Duh!

Duh, the lanyard. I didn't think of the obvious, of course. Still wouldn't hurt to have a spare LP pump around!
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2010 at 10:44pm
LMAO this just happened to Kurt's 99 Air last weekend.
WakeSlayer View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeSlayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2010 at 11:01pm
It actually happened to me when I summerized the SAN. I knew when I did not hear the pump that that is what it was. Makes a million thoughts go through your head in that instant though.

Mike N

1968 Mustang

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2010 at 11:17pm
When it won't start, always check the lanyard first, and make sure it is in neutral second.

Went to a lake last summer we weren't familiar with. Busy ramp about 6 boats wide. Backed in and my wife starts floating off the trailer. Goes into a panic because the boat won't start. I throw the truck in park go running down the ramp, into my waist in water (lucky my phone and wallet weren't in my pocket) and I can see from 20 feet away she didn't put the damn thing in neutral. Think to myself, let it go. If I say anything, somehow it will end up my fault.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2010 at 8:39am
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

If I say anything, somehow it will end up my fault.

BKH

Very true Brian

We all learn this lesson eventually.......it seems to take a while but it finally sinks in.....at least that was the case with me.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2010 at 10:15am
To me, the curveball on this one was "starts for a second". I figured if it starts for a second, it's probably not the lanyard because I thought the lanyard killed the ignition system.
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2010 at 10:17am
Originally posted by LaurelLakeSkier LaurelLakeSkier wrote:

Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

If I say anything, somehow it will end up my fault.

BKH

Very true Brian

We all learn this lesson eventually.......it seems to take a while but it finally sinks in.....at least that was the case with me.

Mark,
Does Patti help you with the boats spring and fall? Didi does with mine but she just drives the trailers back and forth. Of course there was that first time she drove the trailer home and wrapped the trailer running board around the driveway gate post. I didn't say much other than nicely explaining to her that a trailer will take a shorter radius around the corners!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2010 at 11:47am
Dont worry lake, a veteran as myself got pulled in one time, because the clip fell off the Lanyard, I remember it well and was quite embarrassed.
"the things you own will start to own you"
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-25-2010 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Dont worry lake, a veteran as myself got pulled in one time, because the clip fell off the Lanyard, I remember it well and was quite embarrassed.

Me Too, on my 99' w/GT-40 as it turned out my daughter was jumping around the boat and had bumped into the lanyard enough that it was not making full contact, buddy towed me back to the launch, back on the trailer still at the launch leaned in and noticed the lanyard was slightly ajar, corrected it and sure enough fired right up, put her back in and off we went.

Joel, mine did the same thing, started for a second and died, surprised me as well.
LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2010 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

To me, the curveball on this one was "starts for a second". I figured if it starts for a second, it's probably not the lanyard because I thought the lanyard killed the ignition system.

Me too M3. The engine gets "some gas", enough to turn it over. I pulled the fuel pump relay and it did not even start for a second, getting NO fuel. There must be a pre-programmed "squirt" of fuel, telling you: "hey, buddy, check the lanyard!" I know the computer that runs the fuel injection has "trouble codes" associated with it that the engine responds in certain ways to low oil pressure, overheating etc. Maybe there is a "code" for a popped lanyard?
Got Foot?
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2010 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by LakeBoy LakeBoy wrote:

My normally dependable '01 SN starts, then quits. The ignition is keyless: I punch the code, hit start, everything lights up, hit start again, the engine starts, then stops. No chugs, coughs, etc. Quits as suddenly as it starts.

Clue: I do not hear the fuel pump cycle up. At least I think it should. I swapped out the fuel pump relay with no change.

Any thoughts on diagnostics?

Boat ran good last month.

Didn't read through this....

screams....safety lanyard!

Tim

LakeBoy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LakeBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2010 at 9:51pm
It WAS the lanyard. It was fully clipped in position as well. So, after getting a tip on this thread, I went out to the boat and saw the lnayard was in proper position. I fully deflated as I though my troubles were solve. In a vain attempt, I yanked the lanyard, depressed the switch several times ( I had read about "lanyard issues to know these switches do stick) and nervously depressed the start button (the fuel pump cycled up!) and the engine roared to life.

Just in time to rip a legendary barefoot set at my ski club and my footer buddy, GlassSeeker!
Got Foot?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic