NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Vacuum advance port from distributor

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
hal2814 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hal2814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2017 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by 86 Nautique 351 86 Nautique 351 wrote:

I'm still learning a lot about this great boat, this forum is very helpful, thanks guys.
My 1986 2001 with 351 is bogging and not revving up. I just had the carb professionally rebuilt. Now diagnosis points to a timing issue. Saw this thread and noticed I have a vacuum port on my distributor that is hooked up to nothing.   Does this mean I have an automotive distributor? I am having trouble posting photos with my iPad or I would post a photo.

Is this a good stock replacemert distributor in the link below?

http://www.nautiqueparts.com/product/distributor-breakerless-mallory-left-hand-rotation-351-ford/

Any distributor recommendations? Thanks very much for everyone's advice and different points of view.

This is the same distributor you linked but for a right hand engine (if that's what you have):
https://www.nautiqueparts.com/product/distributor-breakerless-mallory-right-hand-reverse-rotation-351-ford-pcm-engines/

That's what I put in my 83 Ski Nautique with a 351 RH last year and it's been running great since. But as Keno pointed out, there are other options for RH engines. I personally wanted to go with DUI but for RH engines there was a 30 day backorder at the time. That may not be the case now. The first thing you need to do though is figure out what rotation you have.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2017 at 2:58pm
Lots of guys here are running the DUI distributor, which is marine rated and also comes in the reverse rotation variety.   Summit has them, although I don't know about the back order comment from above.   The bonus is that there is a performance increase, and your coil can be eliminated.   There are some guys running an MSD distributor that is similar to the DUI, but I am not familiar enough to know if those are available in the RR configuration.

86 Nautique 351 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86 Nautique 351 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2017 at 9:25pm
I like the DUI, and yes sir, Hal is correct, a one month back order on the part from Summit Racing. One question, how does the DUI distributor eliminate the coil? Is there any special tuning or any parts required, or simply eliminate the hook up to the coil and remove the existing coil? I assume that wire that usually goes from the distributor to the coil is eliminated? Thanks to everyone for your prompt advice it has helped.
TD
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2017 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by 86 Nautique 351 86 Nautique 351 wrote:

One question, how does the DUI distributor eliminate the coil? .

Notice the coil is on top of the dui distributor.

Ford marine DUI:

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic