NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mounting Transducer

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
marcus12 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marcus12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mounting Transducer
    Posted: May-23-2010 at 9:36pm
I'm trying to figure out where to mount my transducer in the hull of my 85 SN. I mounted it about 6 inches from the back of the boat beside the rudder assembly, put the boat in the water and it worked fine sitting still, but when I got up to 10mph it stopped reading. I read on here where someone mounted theirs in front of the shaft log, and i was wondering if that was a good idea? Any ideas?
OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2010 at 12:26am
Marcus, you are probably getting a lot of prop turbulance in that location. I have heard just across from the water intake is a good spot but test first by trying different locations. Fill a gallon ziploc bag with water, and place on the hull then place the transducer on the bag of water. Test at different speed ranges till you find the sweet spot, then glue down.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

marcus12 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marcus12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-24-2010 at 1:07pm
I'll give that a try. thanks
Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2010 at 12:43am
Also, when you go to mount the puck, be sure to use a slow cure epoxy. Fast cure can leave air bubbles inside. The signals sent out by the pucks will not travel through air (hence the ziplock filled with water for testing). I have mine installed opposite the water intake.
"A Veteran is someone who at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to: 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life." Semper Fi
emccallum View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emccallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-25-2010 at 1:04pm
In my 95 the transducer is mounted not too far aft of the drain plug, and works fine. The Hummingbird display replaces the clock for me. Perfect Pass has its own GPS clock, that is always accurate. I just wish the depth finder told me the depth of the water I am ABOUT to enter!
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2010 at 10:00am
What's the best brand of depth finder ? (86 2001 hull)
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2010 at 11:30am
I'm not sure about the "best". I have a humminbird and it funcitons fine. Just make sure you buy one with a puck transducer. Their about $100.
"A Veteran is someone who at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to: 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life." Semper Fi
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2010 at 3:02pm
I bought the new Humminbird 610 with the In-Hull transducer. Got it brand new off the internet for $76 plus shipping.

I had an older version of the 610 above and put it in my boat over 15 years ago and it has worked since then. I only replaced it because I stepped on the transducer cable during my stringer rebuild and it was not fixable . I was going to just buy a replacement transducer but about the best I could find was about $60 when I could get a new one for $76 .

I mounted mine just to the right of the drain plug beneath the engine in my 75 Skiier.
I have to keep her running 'cause I can't afford a new one
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2010 at 3:06pm
Let me also mention that I loved the Faria and Teleflex but the Faria was almost 100% more expensive and I heard rumors of uncertainty about the Teleflex. I have Teleflex gages in my boat and wanted to match everything but I told myself that in the end, they all tell you the same thing......how deep it is! Some are just better looking than others.
Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2010 at 3:06pm
If you still have your transducer, i can fix it for free. That way you would have a backup. My cable pulled out of mine and was able to fix it. (I fix aircraft radios for a living).
mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2010 at 3:15pm
You work at Rockwell don't you Hawk!
'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
srbranum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srbranum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2010 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by Hawktique Hawktique wrote:

If you still have your transducer, i can fix it for free. That way you would have a backup. My cable pulled out of mine and was able to fix it. (I fix aircraft radios for a living).

Sorry bud, I still have the trasducer and the unit but no cable, I believe. Wish I would have known. I am thinking about selling the unit on Ebay and recoup some of my money. Still have the owners manual. Thanks anyway.

scott
Hawktique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawktique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2010 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by mdvalant mdvalant wrote:

You work at Rockwell don't you Hawk!

Yes I do. I know there's a center down there in Bellevue as well.
petermuhic View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petermuhic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-11-2010 at 11:57pm
hey, i put my transducer beside my drain plus, located just infront of my engine,, it works well reads fine and was easy to access, mine was a thru-hull trnasducer.. i have a 78 nautique

MAN - GA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAN - GA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2010 at 7:27pm
for testing purposes a toilet wax ring works real well - just put on some latex gloves knead up the wax ring and then press to the bottom of boat at various locations before you get on the water - then while on the water play with the transducer in several locations and speed and go with what works best - the transder will stick in the wax and give accurate readings just like using the ziploc bag full of water trick, but is a little safer being able to put the boat under power to figure out what works best without having any hands or arms around moving parts
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic