Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Looking at an '87 Martinique

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
jbatchelder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbatchelder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking at an '87 Martinique
    Posted: June-28-2010 at 5:06pm
Need some advice on buying this boat. Boat is in fantastic shape, upholstery is mint with no stains, rips or holes. Outside is just a bit dull, no major scratches, dents etc... Only 295 hours on the boat with one owner. They are asking $8,000. Is it worth the money? We are looking for a nice ski/wakeboard boat for a family of 5. Is this a good place to start? Going from a 1997 Sea Swirl with a 90 horse to the 87 Martinique. Thanks for any advice!
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2010 at 5:40pm
is it an open bow martinique?

I've never been in one, but always thought it would make the perfect family watersports boat. Also thought it would be good for some inshore/inlet/harbor boating

You'll still have the concern about stinger rot though.

I'm not an expert on anything, but if its in "ready to use" shape, I'd think $8K would be a fair starting price. You'll probably be happier with a nice old martinique than you will a more modern sterndrive bow rider and probably get in it for less too
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
behindpropeller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote behindpropeller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2010 at 5:48pm
Low hours. Plan on rebuilding the carb.

$6K would be the highest I would pay. You will probably put $500-1000 into it fixing random stuff over the next year.

Excel94 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Excel94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2010 at 7:14pm
An '87 Martinique was the first boat I owned and I still have a soft spot for them. It was a great boat for the family and considering the body of water we were using it in we needed the Vee hull and high freeboard. We all have tons of good memories associated with it. I think of Martiniques first as a family/cruising boat that can also do pretty well as a beginner/intermediate wakeboarding boat. I'm not a skier but I don't think skiers will like its wake. If all that sounds like it fits your situation then you and the family should love it.

8K strikes me as being a little on the high side. Maybe not too high, depending upon how "mint" it is. It's a good thing the interior is in good shape because it would cost a ton to get it replaced.    

Stringers, as mentioned above, are the big question. Do a search on how to try and check them. When they rot it's a really big job to replace them. For me the thought of replacing stringers is a non-starter. I'm too lazy to do that job myself and too cheap to pay someone else to do it. That's why I switched from the Martinique to a '94 Nautique Excel. The Excel has all of the advantages of the Martinique, is a little more sporty, and no wood stringers.
bmal000 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmal000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2010 at 5:08pm
I currently have an '87 bought last year with the same hours. Moved up from a 18' outboard. Best decision I made in a long time. Ride is nice for rough water. Almost a 4000 lb boat, watch what you pull with. A lot of storage under all seats and rear... Perfect for kid stuff and fly high pole. Easily takes seven to eight mooches out.

I second the carb post. Mine was leaking gas and needed a rebuilt right off the bat.

I consider the SUV of boats. Good at everything, not great at any one thing.
You can't take it with you.
bmal000 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmal000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2010 at 5:12pm
As far as price, mine was about 6k. Solid floor, new trailer tires, very nice interior. Check my profile.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbatchelder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2010 at 5:29pm
It is an open bow, testing it out on water tonight... A little hesitant to go back in years to an 87... Will try to take and upload some pics later!
bmal000 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmal000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2010 at 5:44pm
I was not concerned about the year, my last boat was actuality a 1991. Look at the boat others own on this site...classics. The Martinique is built like a tank (CC in general great brand).

Mine is a open bow. After the test drive, post any concerns. This site is full of great users that can help with all issues.
bmal000 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmal000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2010 at 6:04pm
I see my photo is not in my profile anymore. Search the diaries for the '87 and my pics will show
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2010 at 9:05pm
man, can't wait to hear the results of the water test. especially interested to hear your thoughts about the performance of an inboard vs. your outboard.
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbatchelder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2010 at 12:51am
Well didn't get a chance to take pics, the water test was on a small lake, by the time we got it cranking, we had to turn around. Can't wait to take it on the lake we are on. The boat is clean, interior, exterior, engine, carb. The guy who had it must of had OCD. Floor is whole and sound, no probs with stringers.
I'm wondering about the manuvering difference with the boats. Does it take a lot to get used to? Or does it come easily?
bmal000 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmal000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2010 at 1:33am
Reverse takes a little getting used. With prop rotation and rudder, the rear naturally "goes to the left". There are ways, which can be explained better than me, to steer in reverse. It is not that bad.
davidg View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davidg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2010 at 1:35am
I had an '87 Martinique w/ 351. It was my first Correct Craft. My thoughts are:

Pro's:
Lots of Room
Lots of storage
Great ride in rough water
Good family boat

Con's (in my opinion)
Handling and acceleration not the best w/ the 351...didn't exactly jump out of the hole when you hit the throttle...seemed like it had a lot of bow rise too.
Lots of teak to maintain
Not bad styling, but, I have heard not a Correct Craft designed boat. Cannot confirm whether thats true. Not necessarily a con either. Just what I heard/read.    

If you are looking for a large family truckster with lots of room, to take out on big water....thats your boat.

Does it have a Correct Craft trailer? If so, and its in the shape you say, $8K may not be a bad price. You can always offer less. We sold ours ~10 years ago for around $8K. A lot of boat for the money in my opinion.
bmal000 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmal000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-01-2010 at 2:08am
As a side note...does the boat come with the bimini top. Great for the kids. The good ones are not cheap to add later. Maybe a small bargaining chip on your side if it is missing. I figured out how to add a picture with the bimini on.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbatchelder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2010 at 4:00pm
Hey everyone, thanks for the replies! We ended up buying the boat and have totally fell in love with it! Can anyone give me clues on how to upload pics??
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2010 at 5:13pm
Congrats on the purchase. I'm sure you'll get many years of enjoyment from it. Definitely post some pics.

Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Regarding posting pics, there are two ways.

1. directly from your computer. This method is the easiest, but there are four problems with it.

To do it you can not use the quick response at the bottom of the page, you have to either start a new thread or hit reply on a previous post.

At the top of the response box is a small icon of a tree with a blue arrow. Hit that.

That will allow you to browse on your computer to find the image you want. Select the image, select open, say ok when it tells you to be patient and the image will be uploaded.

Now the disadvantages:

a. the image must be under 500 kb in size
b. the image may be too big (sizewise, not kilobite wise) This means we have to scroll left to right to see it, which is a pain in the neck.
c. it saves the image in your profile, which has limited volume, which means you can run out of image posting capability and
d. once you post an image, the forum will not let you post it a second time (in some future post) (unless you re-upload it with a new hame).

2. The second way to upload an image is to use a photohosting site, like photobucket. There are detailed instructions on how to upload using photobucket at the top of the "off topic" forum, which I have copied to here for you.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbatchelder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2010 at 5:32pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbatchelder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2010 at 5:32pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbatchelder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2010 at 5:33pm
Doesn't seem to be working!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic