Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stalls when shifting into FWD

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
cool hand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cool hand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2010 at 2:40pm
Define easily? Should I be able to spin it and how many rotations should it spin if I were to try and give it a wing?

Maybe i could get a turnover resistance using a small torque wrench. Havent checked, will try and check tonight.
Lucas Clark
1992 Sport Nautique
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2010 at 2:49pm
it will have a small amount of reistance but not much and it should be uniform for 360 degrees and it doesn't matter how many turns. If it sticks or has more resistance in one area verses another then the alignment is off and needs adjusted.
akabulla View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akabulla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-02-2010 at 3:26pm
Throw some water on the strut bearing and you should be able to rotate it with one finger.
cool hand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cool hand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2010 at 11:39am
Ok, update time again.

Took it out lake freeman saturday and the engine ran good. If anything then engine seems to keep running better.

However, in the water I was checking the resistance on the prop and there seems to be a lot. Definitely doesn't spin freely in neutral. Using my feet to spin the prop (neck deep in water), I could spin it with my feet, but it was fairly hard to rotate. Resistance seems the same both directions, but it I had to push with my foot fairly hard to get it to rotate at all.
Lucas Clark
1992 Sport Nautique
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-09-2010 at 7:35pm
definetely looks like you need to work on the alligment..
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
cool hand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cool hand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2010 at 10:17am
Spent a few minutes looking at it lastnight again. It seems to spin harder counterclockwise than clockwise. I read Erics alignment thread a couple times familiarizing myself with that process.

It looks like to really have good access to this stuff I need to pull the back seat that section of floor.
Lucas Clark
1992 Sport Nautique
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2010 at 10:23am
figure the boat is 18 years old and probably never aligned, I think you'll be surprised
"the things you own will start to own you"
WakeskateNW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeskateNW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2017 at 3:14pm
Can anyone confirm that it was a misaligned shaft causing stalling when shifting from neutral into forward? I am having the same issue in my '89; shifts perfect into reverse but stalls half the time when going into forward.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2017 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by WakeskateNW WakeskateNW wrote:

Can anyone confirm that it was a misaligned shaft causing stalling when shifting from neutral into forward? I am having the same issue in my '89; shifts perfect into reverse but stalls half the time when going into forward.

Well, Cool Hand hasn't logged in since Dec 2 2010 so I don't think you'll be getting an answer from him.

I think I'd start by looking at making sure the throttle and shift cable and carb are adjusted correctly before assuming that an out of alignment shaft will cause your problem.

It's gonna be out of alignment whether it's turning frontwards or backwards.

You didn't mention whether you have a tough to turn shaft.in your boat.

Being an 89 You would have a PCM transmission with a 1:23 to 1 fwd ratio and about a 1.8 to 1 reverse ratio but the slightly higher load due to the gearing difference when you put it in fwd is not the problem unless you have tuneup issues or like mentioned earlier, cable adjustment problems.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeskateNW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2017 at 12:25am
swam under the lift today after my set to give the prop a spin, and I am happy to report my prop spins freely both directions with one finger. My idle was a little low but bumped it up to 10 with the engine warm. Still has the stalling issue so turning focus to carb tuning and cable adjustment.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2017 at 10:47am
Likely a vacuum leak or too lean air/fuel idle mixture. Start tuning and buy a cheap vacuum gauge. Vacuum should be at least 15 inches idling in gear pushing against the trailer. Also, check initial ignition timing. Retarded timing can make it lazy at idle.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeskateNW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2017 at 2:27pm
Last night after running the boat hard across the lake I had a moment of clarity about my issue after paying close attention to the temp gauge. Following my hunch I pulled the thermostat housing and whaddyaknow?.... no thermostat!
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2017 at 5:44pm
Help me out, how does the lack of a thermostat cause a problem shifting into fwd?
'92 Sport Nautique
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeskateNW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-30-2017 at 6:35pm
Well the water in my lake is currently ice cold glacier run off and the engine couldn't warm up to a temperature it liked during normal operating conditions. it was just acting cold blooded all the time and apparently it was just enough to stall the engine. Unfortunately the local nautique dealer gave me the 160 stat instead of the 143 one I asked for but when operating at 180 degrees the shift issue is gone. Going to get the correct thermostat later this week and hopefully will see the temp gauge reading in the 160 range.
MechGaT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MechGaT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2017 at 3:22pm
OK. I didn't realize no t-stat would cause that noticeable of a problem.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WakeskateNW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-01-2017 at 11:19pm
I bet most boats wouldn't have an issue running without a thermostat. My boat definitely prefers being warm. Perhaps that points to other underlying issues I haven't discovered yet.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2017 at 2:06pm
WSNW - don't look too hard for a problem that is not there... Not operating an engine at temperature can have all kinds of different performance effects.   get your thermostat in, and see if that corrects the issues you are having.   Summer is coming!...   supposed to hit 70 this next week    
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic