Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Gas in Oil

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
gtxj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gtxj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gas in Oil
    Posted: July-14-2010 at 1:50pm
I hate to admit this, but I just finally pulled the boat out of storage last weekend to clean it up, perform some routine maintenence, and get it ready for the lake this weekend. Here's the problem...

It's a 1990 Sport Nautique with the 351 PCM. I warmed the engine up enough so that I could get the oil changed. Oil pressure was pretty low and when I drained the oil I found that it had a significant amount of gas in the oil. I'm guessing I drained about 8 quarts out, so there was probably around 3 quarts of oil mixed in.

Unless I'm overlooking something, the only way for fuel to get into the crankcase is through the fuel pump or the carb. I would have expected if I was getting that much fuel through the carb into the cylinder and past the rings it would be running like crap.

That said, I had planned to swap the fuel pump and keep a close eye on things. I was surprised to find a fuel pump that doesn't look much like the mechanical fuel pumps I'm used to seeing. It appears to have three cavities and a vent from the top cavity up to the clean side of the air cleaner.

Are these pumps prone to failure? What's the difference between this marine pump and what I'm used to seeing on automotive applications (besides the extra $50)? Are there other things I should be looking at in terms of probable causes for gas in the oil?

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2010 at 2:14pm
No name,
Get the new pump and make sure it's a marine for safety reasons. With that much gas in the oil, the diaphragm is ruptured. Actually in a marine I think there are two diaphragms. If the other one goes, you get raw gas back up to the carb via the clear tubing and not into the bilge creating the safety issue.

BTW, that's not a air cleaner sitting on top of the carb. It's a USCG required flame arrestor. (hopefully you don't have a air cleaner on it! )

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic